Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 AM

4 posts, read 7,644 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

My fiance and I are looking for a house/townhouse/apartment to live in starting in June this year. We are getting married May 18th and are looking to move after we get back from the honeymoon.

We are both DEBT FREE (24 and 25 years old, Emergency fund will be done the day we get married ) and we adamantly follow the Dave Ramsey plan. Therefore, we are looking for what Dave would call our live like no one else place.

Our first rent budget is between $500 and $800 not including utilities. If we go towards the higher end, we would much rather it be a house/townhome instead of an apartment. Our ideal setting would be something like you'd see on HGTV's income property, where a private homeowner has a rental suite with either one or two bedrooms, and an apartment sized kitchen. However, we haven't been able to find anything like that around here.

We are posting here to see if anybody has a garage full apartment, basement full apartment, or small one or two bedroom house that they'd be willing to rent to two young newlyweds. We are looking to sign a lease for between 8 months and 1.5 years because we are hoping to complete baby step 3b (saving for a down payment for a house) during this time and whenever we have that complete we are hoping to buy.

We are comfortable in the Cary, Apex and Morrisville areas because our 4 jobs are between Durham, RTP, Cary, and Apex.

We would be great tenants because we are both debt free, with 4 jobs (we're going to be busy a lot and will have the finances to pay the rent payment every month and on time), we are Christians, mature, and are simply hoping to live like no one else right now, so that later we can live and give like no one else. I don't have a clue what our credit is because we simply don't have any debt and don't check it. We are happy to be checked out with a background check and are happy to pay a deposit. The only negative about us is we have an 11 month old kitten, but she is declawed and uses her litter box everytime. So I can't imagine any damage she'd cause. Not much of a negative huh?

So please, let us know if you have anything available, or have any ideas. Maybe you've had a rental that is sitting open for a while now that you'd be willing to rent to us a little cheaper. My fiance is also happy to tend to the yard/trash etc if it can help us on the rent. I also enjoy cooking sweets a lot so those can always be shared

Thanks and God Bless

The future Mr. and Mrs.

Last edited by RedZin; 03-20-2013 at 08:23 AM.. Reason: Removed OPs name. Please don't share private details on public forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 09:36 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
While I am very tempted to turn this thread into a debate over whether or not indoor cats should be declawed, for those of us who have no clue what you are talking about with the "Dave Ramsey Style Living," perhaps you can clarify what it is exactly, in order to help people better understand what exactly you are looking to do

Old 03-20-2013, 09:38 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
While I am very tempted to turn this thread into a debate over whether or not indoor cats should be declawed, for those of us who have no clue what you are talking about with the "Dave Ramsey Style Living," perhaps you can clarify what it is exactly, in order to help people better understand what exactly you are looking to do
Stay on topic, folks. This woman requires info about housing, not lectures about pets.

They're looking for a cheap place to stay. On a personal note? We have 2 cats. One of them is fully declawed. We did not declaw her. She came that way. I get sick of explaining this to self-righteous prigs who wrinkle their noses IMMEDIATELY when they hear she's clawless. No. She doesn't go outside. She is even kept separate from our clawed cat.

Sheesh.

Err. Not addressed to you, topchief. Just a general comment. You're not the first person, besides the OP, who mentioned declawing in this thread.

Old 03-20-2013, 09:57 AM

5,883 posts, read 6,950,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katiebelled13 View Post
We are both DEBT FREE (24 and 25 years old, Emergency fund will be done the day we get married ) and we adamantly follow the Dave Ramsey plan. Therefore, we are looking for what Dave would call our live like no one else place.
I'm not a big DR fan. For other views, check out Clark Howard and Ric Edelman.

Quote:
I don't have a clue what our credit is because we simply don't have any debt and don't check it. We are happy to be checked out with a background check and are happy to pay a deposit. The only negative about us is we have an 11 month old kitten, but she is declawed and uses her litter box everytime. So I can't imagine any damage she'd cause. Not much of a negative huh?
While DR doesn't like credit, you need to establish credit and stay on top of it. Your credit score can effect seemingly non-related things like how much you pay for insurance and if you are offered a job. Sign up with CreditKarma to get/follow a good approximation of credit score for free. You can pull a credit report for free every other month. (Do yours one month at Experian, then your wifes, then yours from TransUnion, etc).

I have dogs, so no comment on the kitten.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:13 AM

The Dave Ramsey style of living I was referring to is in relation to the Dave Ramsey show and The Baby Steps. Dave Ramsey suggests that while you are saving up for your down payment after you are debt free that you should rent as cheaply as possible and a close to bare necessities as possible. This way you are able to save much more quickly and sacrifice for the shortest amount of time. Most apartment complexes/condominiums here in the Cary area have "updated" their properties with stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and we simply don't care about those kind of things. This wouldn't be our forever home so we don't want to have to pay the extra cost to have those luxuries in our lives.

Thank you meh_whatever, I agree, can we please keep this forum to housing? I simply mentioned the cat for disclosure purposes. We aren't the type to lie about having one.

Thanks, Katie

Old 03-20-2013, 10:25 AM

34 posts, read 57,567 times
As a longtime renter here, I suggest that you try Raleigh's craigslist. We have found our most recent rentals through craigslist and there are still decent places to be found for cheap there that aren't just scams. You just have to put some legwork into it and do your research. I have a feeling though that your preferred price range is not going to get you very far in this area anymore unless you want an apartment... that budget for housing is more suited to Raleigh in 2005 imo. (I'm sure others will disagree). The "we're Christian and mature" thing will probably get you farther with certain people though, so try asking around at area churches. If you already attend a church, ask to put up a flyer there. You will probably have more luck finding what you're looking for from someone who recognizes you from church and is willing to take a chance on you, than you will from strangers on this forum.

We've rented houses for years, and all of our rentals have included mowing the lawn/minor yardwork as part of the lease agreement, so not sure you're going to find someone to give you a discount just for being helpful around the property, but you never know.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:28 AM

347 posts, read 522,066 times
If you're looking to find the cheapest rental property you can, your best best is to go rural or go to the most economically distressed neighborhoods. Low income rentals often do not check your credit score or history.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:49 AM

51,650 posts, read 25,807,433 times
The "help out around the place" offer might be enticing to someone who is aging in place and has a large house that requires more upkeep than they can manage.

Years ago, I worked with a University for Seniors program in MN whose bulletin board connected students with retired people who had converted part of their homes into apartments. In return for dirt cheap rent, they shoveled snow, mowed the lawn, painted, cleaned gutters, and so forth. I think Lutheran Social Services had a matching program as well. As I recall, there was no care involved, though sometimes taking the homeowner grocery shopping and ferrying them back and forth to the airport was part of the deal.

Perhaps the Encore program at NCSU or the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Duke might offer some suggestions.

With 4 jobs you might not have time to take on additional duties and chores, but it's worth thinking about. There are a lot of people who want to stay in their homes as long as possible and often these homes have a lot of empty rooms.

Old 03-20-2013, 11:04 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,596,855 times
Quote:
The Dave Ramsey style of living I was referring to is in relation to the Dave Ramsey show and The Baby Steps. Dave Ramsey suggests that while you are saving up for your down payment after you are debt free that you should rent as cheaply as possible and a close to bare necessities as possible. This way you are able to save much more quickly and sacrifice for the shortest amount of time. Most apartment complexes/condominiums here in the Cary area have "updated" their properties with stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and we simply don't care about those kind of things. This wouldn't be our forever home so we don't want to have to pay the extra cost to have those luxuries in our lives.

Thank you meh_whatever, I agree, can we please keep this forum to housing? I simply mentioned the cat for disclosure purposes. We aren't the type to lie about having one.

Thanks, Katie

You know what you should do, is check out people who need roommates. If you are able to find a place where someone has a room available, that allows you sufficient privacy, then you can really cut down on the rent paid even further. Probably better if you had one that included a separate bathroom for each renter, but not everyone is fortunate.

When my wife and I got a bit more serious, I had moved in with her, but since we were sharing the same room in her 2 bedroom apartment, over the remaining 1 and a half years we were there, we had 2 roommates, both friends of hers, 1 a nightmare, the other just great, but it cut our monthly rental costs in half.

Are you willing to consider a roommate situation?

Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post

Perhaps the Encore program at NCSU or the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute at Duke might offer some suggestions.
This is such a great idea! Thank you

And the posting something in our church is a great idea as well, thanks for all the ideas, keep em coming!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary