Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:45 PM

1,491 posts, read 1,235,713 times

Advertisements

Im from Maryland and have been here for 6 years. I've always said y'all but haven't really noticed anything that people say down here to be weird to me. Now my boyfriend, who is from Philly, has his own made up way of saying things that I correct him on all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 10:06 PM

285 posts, read 494,322 times
I grew up in Charleston, and we always referred to all soft drinks as Cokes, like a PP said.

I'm familiar with the expression "to carry someone," but I've never used it myself.

Using "ugly" to describe someone's behavior was very common in my childhood. When my friend's mother would hear us saying something mean about another girl, she would say, "Now, girls, God don't like ugly."

Old 03-23-2013, 10:36 PM

25,115 posts, read 16,280,783 times
I'm 46, born and raised in Durm, went to NC State (State College ), and I don't think the Southern dialect is dying around these parts.

But I don't call every drink a coke.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:30 AM

70 posts, read 141,943 times
We grew up in NC saying all of those things and also "Give me a Nab and a Coke." Wondering if any transplants use the same term and who from NC remembers what it means.
This conversations reminds me of the thread that wanted to know where all the southerners where. I have thought since that she really did not want southerners, but people around her who knew what "Nab and a Coke" means and that "ugly" is your behavior, and all the other things from our younger days that binds a southern community together and are stuck in our memories. Hope the language doesn't die out.

Old 03-24-2013, 05:54 AM

72 posts, read 128,476 times
I found this pretty fascinating:

NCLLP - North Carolina Dialect Quiz

Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,979,685 times
In response to the original question, I don't think many transplants are going to pick up "local" sayings, simply because those sayings aren't really that prevalent - especially here where a large segment of the population is from elsewhere (and the media doesn't use them). One simply doesn't hear them so frequently that they become engrained in our vocabularies. (And I say this as the spouse of a native southerner, whose family shudders at the fact that she moved to NORTH Carolina.)

Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,330,883 times
Many of the terms people are using on this thread are not unique to Raleigh or NC for that matter. I've heard almost all of them while living in VA and quite a few growing up in a rural part of NJ. And "turn on the light" and "crack the window" are pretty universal terms in both the north and south.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:17 AM

43,439 posts, read 77,401,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Many of the terms people are using on this thread are not unique to Raleigh or NC for that matter. I've heard almost all of them while living in VA and quite a few growing up in a rural part of NJ. And "turn on the light" and "crack the window" are pretty universal terms in both the north and south.
Get uppity about it, son, and I'll jerk a knot in your tail.

Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,330,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Get uppity about it, son, and I'll jerk a knot in your tail.
Now THAT is a new one to me! I am happy to pick up that saying and will begin using it immediately!

Old 03-24-2013, 06:36 AM

9,369 posts, read 14,197,589 times
I don't know if I've incorporated any new phrases, but I notice that if someone says "Bah"(bye), I say "Bah" right back to 'em. Plus I've learned that Earl means oil and non means nine. I do hear carry me/you from time to time, drink meaning non-alcoholic drinks, and many fun, colorful expressions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary