Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 11:34 AM

595 posts, read 676,764 times

Advertisements

Like many threads on this board, my family is thinking about relocating to Raleigh. I've have seen all the threads about Wake County schools and that's a bummer. One thing I read about was the year round schools. That is such a strange concept to me. What do people typically do for childcare when both parents work? it's one thing to find a summer program, quite another to make arrangements multiple times per year. I have struggling to get my head around this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 11:40 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,310 times
Many places (YMCA, day cares, etc.) offer a "track in - track out" program. It all depends on what kind of activities you want your kids doing.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:24 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,595 times
Almost all local childcare facilities as well as the Y, gymnastics, sports, horseback riding facilities, etc offer "track out" camps throughout the year. We love year round school. Making arrangements a few times a year is no worse than planning for a full summer's worth of programs. It gives kids a chance to easily try out different kinds of camp due to the variety offered.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:32 PM

595 posts, read 676,764 times
Thanks for the replies. I assume the area childcare would support the schedule. It's just so unusual to what I'm used to.

How does it typically work? How many weeks are you on and how many weeks are you off? Is this just the elementary schools or does it extend to middle and high school as well? I was wondering how it works with sports teams and other activities.

Old 03-26-2013, 12:39 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,164,862 times
My kids get three weeks off, 4x throughout the year. Just as you would expect to find with traditional calendar schools, local businesses cater to the "track" system. There are plenty of "camps" and care available. Whatever care you're used to having in summer, is available during "track outs".

Old 03-26-2013, 12:53 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
As others have mentioned, every place around here offers track out camps and programs. There is no shortage of childcare options for YR schools. For the most part, any program that has a summer program offers YR track out options as well.
It is only some elementary and middles, no high schools.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:02 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,251 times
9 weeks on, 3 weeks off. Repeat x 4.

There are definite upsides to year-round (as an observer, not a participant): getting to vacation at off-peak times (= cheaper), more frequent vacations, kids will forget less from the previous round after 3 weeks rather than 12.

In Wake County, year round is for elementary and middle schools. All the public high schools are on a traditional calendar. Not sure how it affects sports in middle school but maybe someone else can comment on that.

I wonder how the cost of track out camps compare to filling a whole summer's worth of activities (if both parents work) or if the cost is the same, just spread out over the year instead of in one chunk. The Motherlode blog over at the New York Times did a thought-provoking post on it a while ago. Comments were interesting to read.
American families will spend $16.6 billion keeping children busy this summer. - NYTimes.com

I admit that I did love my long summer vacations in retrospect but as a kid they just seemed so long!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:15 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
The camps all pretty much cost the same. They usually charge per week and the cost is the same whether it's in the summer or track out. Everyone has the same number of weeks off, it's just divided up differently. As for middle school sports, if you are tracked out, you still play and go to practices, but obviously the YR schools are used to kids tracking out and going on vacation with their families. I don't think it's much of a problem. Same for programs like band.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:19 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,655,083 times
My kids are year round and I love it. I had no clue what it was when I moved here 5 years ago.

Here are some links I had handy:

Cary Magazine | Features | The Ins and Out of Year-Round Schools

Wake County Public School System - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually like the old WCPSS website better. It had a Newcomers link and that URL is no longer valid.

Track out camps are a cottage industry around here: Directories, Track-out Programs, Track-out camps | CarolinaParent.com

Some parents prefer year round because they can spread out the cost of childcare.

Old 03-26-2013, 01:20 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,236,388 times
The idea of year round schools definitely seems daunting at first but it's worked out really well for my family. I've got two kids in elementary. As previous posters have mentioned all kids activities here are organized with year round schedules in mind. So, when the kids are off school "tracked out", there are plenty of camps and options for child care. It also allows for family vacations during less busy times, which is less hassle and also saves you money. I also find that it's really nice just to have these breaks throughout the year, but since the breaks aren't so long, the kids don't seem to get bored or lose much in their academic skills
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary