Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 12:00 AM

210 posts, read 428,414 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am in the early stage moving from NYC and buying a home to raise a family, and my wife and I are looking into Raleigh as one of our choices. I am wondering if anyone could let me know about wild life animals in the area that I need to be aware/concerned about. Is that a non issue?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 12:08 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,323,717 times
Could you clarify what you mean? I live in the suburbs of North Raleigh and we get deer from time to time. My only issue is they like to eat my garden. You'll read stories about the occasional snake, but I've never come across one in my yard in my 8 years living here. If you live in more rural areas that might be different though.

In general I find wildlife issues here to be no different than the wildlife issues I dealt with living in the Jersey shore area.

Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,037,938 times
Depends on where you live..We are out a bit near Falls Lake.
Probably the worst thing we have had was a rabid raccoon.
We have copperhead snakes, deer , foxes,
opposums,coyotes that kill cats.. Bats, and flying squirrels in the attic..

But none really cause a problem, we just learn to coexist..
(except the rabid raccoon-he got beheaded & tested by animal control)

Old 07-25-2013, 05:08 AM

5,747 posts, read 17,629,797 times
We have coyotes and foxes nearby. I've heard packs of coyotes barking/howling at night sometimes. I wouldn't let my pets roam free at night. Tons of frogs and toads. The noise is sometimes very loud in the evening, especially when it's rained alot, like recently. I've only seen a few snakes. A few deer. A strange bird that someone called a Guinea Hen. . . looked like a female turkey, kinda. Quite a few dead opossums, racoons, etc in the road.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 AM

843 posts, read 2,103,536 times
At my house in Durham, 1 mile from the west campus of Duke, we have deer, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, possums, many snakes(seen 4 in last 3 weeks-1 HUGE black snake, 2 grey rat snakes and one copperhead), huge cockroaches, frogs, turtles, blue heron, geese, ducks, bats, hawks and a owl. I have SEEN all of those at least once. I am very close to Duke Forest so they wander into the residential area sometimes at night. I havent seen any Bobcats...but they are here. I have seen their scat. I also live next to a pond which attracts all of the above... I have sat on my patio at night in the dark smoking a cigar and deer have come up within 10-15 feet from me. They didnt know I was sitting there. I try to stay as still as possible...but one movement and they bolt like lightning!

I have seen much more 'wildlife' in NYC on St Marks Pl at 2am then I have ever have here!!

Old 07-25-2013, 06:32 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,169,654 times
If you don't like animals sharing your space, Raleigh probably isn't the place for you

Old 07-25-2013, 06:56 AM

210 posts, read 428,414 times
Thank you for the comments. They are very helpful, and will help us as we consider our choices. I am okay with most of the animals mentioned above.

How about alligators? What kinds of snakes have you seen?

Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,169,654 times
No alligators around here. Lots of snakes. Only ones you really need to worry about are the copperheads.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:40 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,212,881 times
I find it funny that there are so many people that post about animals, bugs etc when moving here.
Those things didnt even cross my mind when deciding on a place to move, and I don't mind the occasional gator strolling through my yard.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:43 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,288,697 times
No gators in Raleigh. I've seen them down at Southport (beach area about 2.5 hours away).

Client of mine that lives in Highland Creek said they got a notice yesterday that someone had seen a black bear and to please keep their kids and pets inside until it was caught!!!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary