Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 11:28 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

The discussion of tye sprawling Raleigh/Durham area is truly one of perspective. We moved here last year from the Phoenix Metro area, which is roughly 9,000 square miles. More than one-half of the population in the entire state lives in one of the counties (Maricopa) that is included in Phoenix Metro. (Source: Phoenix Fast Facts - Tibits and Trivia about Phoenix People and Places)

We live in Brier Creek. Every time we have to go somewhere, my husband asks me how long is it going to take. With the exception of High Point, my answer is fifteen to twenty-five minutes. It's become the family joke!

To us, this isn't sprawl. It two smaller sized cities (Raleigh and Durham) with dynamic, interesting downtown areas. There are surrounding suburbs (Cary, Holly Springs, Morrisville, Apex, Wake Forest, etc.) and a college town (Chapel Hill/Carreboro). Perfect for us, but I do understand that the growth in the area is not a good thing for everyone, especially those who have lived here a long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 11:45 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warmerthebetter View Post
Hi all,

I completely admit it was a short visit and a not well directed one. I didn't realize how big and sprawling the area was. I drove around the Cary/Chapel Hill areas but not thoroughly. I guess I was missing the neighborhoody feeling. I couldn't tell where people shopped, what they did, where the personality was. It felt very big and sprawling but not focused? I went to a cute little plaza area in Chapel Hill (natural food store/yogurt shop/etc) that was cute but so empty and deserted.

I went into Raleigh for a minute and it also seemed very quiet and few and far between.

I'm just wondering if I missed it or if I'm just picturing something that isn't? I live in the Northeast and want warmer/welcoming/less expensive and I thought Raleigh would be it.
Was it warmer/welcoming/less expensive?

What were you looking for that that you didn't find?

That you found quiet, empty, deserted places is amazing to me. Everywhere I go the traffic is backed up. I assume you didn't go down Franklin St. in Chapel Hill or try to shop at Crabtree in Raleigh.

Perhaps a better directed visit, a trip focused on a couple things you like to do would be of more benefit.

So what do you like to do? Hang out at taverns, play golf, hike, buy food at co-ops, watch musicals, go to hockey games...

Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
I think the person who said she missed the quaintness of New England and wanted to move back probably identified what you were looking for, OP: "Quaintness."

It's been discussed here before. Compared to New England and even much of upstate and western New York, there is little "quaintness" here. I think people from elsewhere expect it. (After all, Mayberry was reeking in quaint.)

There are pockets of "quaintness," of course, but in general, it's missing. (Some people who haven't lived here and elsewhere don't quite understand that concept. It's not easy to describe.)

I think it's because the population has doubled in a very short amount of time, and so much of the Triangle is relatively new: New homes, new streets, new storefronts, new buildings everywhere.

Often, it's older places that feel quaint and more comfortable for many.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 PM

910 posts, read 1,318,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
It's been discussed here before. Compared to New England and even much of upstate and western New York, there is little "quaintness" here. I think people from elsewhere expect it. (After all, Mayberry was reeking in quaint.)
Somewhat of a tangent, but it never fails to amuse when people cite Mayberry as a reference point for anything here. I mean if you want Mayberry, then head over to the old Forty Acres lot in LA where the show was filmed, since that's the only place where Mayberry exists. It's like someone forming their opinion of NYC from watching Batman.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:03 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Michgc, is there a yogurt place at So Vill? When I'm over there I wouldn't say it's cram packed with people, but it's usually moderately busy.
It COULD have been Southern Village. There is a Tutti Frutti (fro yo) and, of course, Weaver Street Market. On some days it's pretty busy (mostly in summer when there's a movie or concert). Other days, not so much.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I think the person who said she missed the quaintness of New England and wanted to move back probably identified what you were looking for, OP: "Quaintness."

There are pockets of "quaintness," of course, but in general, it's missing. (Some people who haven't lived here and elsewhere don't quite understand that concept. It's not easy to describe.)

I think it's because the population has doubled in a very short amount of time, and so much of the Triangle is relatively new: New homes, new streets, new storefronts, new buildings everywhere.

Often, it's older places that feel quaint and more comfortable for many.
Good post, very true. The triangle feels like one large newish somewhat generic suburbia with tiny hidden pockets of cuteness, and it's very different than New England type quaintness.

Last edited by west seattle gal; 04-20-2013 at 02:26 PM..

Old 04-20-2013, 02:18 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Maybe that was it, then. Southern Village is a nice enough newish village-style neighborhood, but hardly a good representation of Chapel Hill.

I agree that it does depend on the day of the week and the time of the day how busy places are. I went to Whole Foods today and it was mobbed. Could barely find a parking spot.

Old 04-20-2013, 02:19 PM

1,950 posts, read 3,525,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It COULD have been Southern Village. There is a Tutti Frutti (fro yo) and, of course, Weaver Street Market. On some days it's pretty busy (mostly in summer when there's a movie or concert). Other days, not so much.
We visited 3 days ago during the day and it looked like a barren office park. Weaver Street Market in Carrboro was rocking, I loved it!

Old 04-20-2013, 02:41 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
We visited 3 days ago during the day and it looked like a barren office park. Weaver Street Market in Carrboro was rocking, I loved it!
It's definitely not busy during the week during the day. Lunchtime, you'll see some office people getting lunch. After school, you'll see a bunch of kids walking around. Otherwise, it's mostly busy in evenings or weekends. In the summer they show a movie and have a concert pretty much Fri./Sat./Sun. evenings so it actually gets quite crowded. And on Thursday afternoons starting in May they have a farmer's market, so it attracts a small crowd then.

Weaver Street in Carrboro is very cool. There always seem to be people hanging out. Sunday morning is especially fun when there is live music.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:24 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I venture over to Southern Village occasionally for a movie or if I happen to be in the area, but I spend most of my time in Carrboro (a lot at Weaver St) and Chapel Hill proper. Southern Village is a little out of the way for me.

west seattle, might be a topic for another thread, but how did you like your visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary