Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:09 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times

Advertisements

Quoted from the Pizza Thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Anyone up for "what is the best beer" thread?
I'm not a huge fan of Full Steam's beer, but I really like their vibe, location and general way of doing business.

I like CBC in Holly Springs, Lone Rider has some good beer. I love the atmosphere at Aviator, and I'm totally stoked about trying Crank Arm, Raleigh Brewery, and several others.

Raleigh really has a great beer culture and it continues to grow.

Discuss amongst yourselves....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,428,693 times
For anyone interested, the definitive list of breweries and brewpubs is as follows:

Raleigh (9 breweries)
Big Boss Brewing - http://www.bigbossbrewing.com
Boylan Bridge Brewpub - www.boylanbridge.com
Crank Arm Brewing - Crank Arm Brewing - Raleigh, NC
Gizmo Brew Works - Gizmo Brew Works » Raleigh, NC
Lonerider Beer - Lonerider: Ales for Outlaws
Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing - www.nattygreenes.com
Raleigh Brewing Company - ‹ Where Craft is an Art
Sub Noir Brewing - Sub Noir Brewing Company
Trophy Brewing - http://trophybrewing.com

Durham (3 breweries):
Bull City Burger and Brewery - http://www.bullcityburgerandbrewery.com/
Fullsteam Brewery - http://www.fullsteam.ag/
Triangle Brewing Company - Triangle Brewing Company | No Bull…Just Beer!

Holly Springs (3 breweries):
Bombshell Beer Company - http://www.bombshellbeer.com/
Carolina Brewing Company - Carolina Brewing Company
Holly Springs Nano Brewing - http://hollyspringsnanobrewing.com/

Chapel Hill (2 breweries):
Carolina Brewery - Carolina Brewery Brewpub & Restaurant- Chapel Hill Pittsboro North Carolina. The Triangle's Best in Dining and Entertainment
Top of the Hill Restaurant and Brewery - The Top of the Hill Brewery & Restaurant · The Social Crossroads of Chapel Hill, North Carolina

Fuquay-Varina (2 breweries):
Aviator Brewing Company - Aviator Brewing Company | Taste the Adventure
Hosanna Brewing - Hosanna Brewing Co. Fuquay Varina NC Brewery and Brewpub

Carrboro (1 brewery):
Steel String Brewing - http://steelstringbrewery.com/

Clayton (1 brewery):
Deep River Brewing Company - Deep River Brewing Company | Clayton, North Carolina (NC)

Hillsborough (1 brewery):
Mystery Brewing Company - Mystery Brewing Company

Saxapahaw (1 brewery):
Haw River Farmhouse Ales - Haw River Farmhouse Ales. Coming soon to Saxapahaw, North Carolina.

Wake Forest (1 brewery):
White Street Brewing Company - White Street Brewing Company | Wake Forest, N.C.

If there are any I miss, please let me know!

Last edited by garnetpalmetto; 04-29-2013 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: Added the two Holly Springs breweries opening soon

Old 04-29-2013, 09:23 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,604,601 times
Moderator, please add the above list to your "Relocation Index" sticky.

Also, there is a small brewery in Clayton:

Deep River Brewing Company | Clayton, North Carolina (NC)

And a possible brewpub opening in north Fuquay:

Hosanna Brewing Co. Fuquay Varina NC Brewery and Brewpub

Old 04-29-2013, 09:28 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
You left out a couple of new ones.

Steel String Brewery in Carrboro is set to open May 10: http://steelstringbrewery.com

Haw River Farmhouse Ales is a new craft brewer getting started in Saxapahaw: https://www.facebook.com/hawriverales

Old 04-29-2013, 09:32 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,548 times
I like Fullsteam, and was just there on Saturday. I also like Lonerider's Shotgun Betty. When I don't have any of my home brew in my kegerator, I like to throw a keg of Shotgun Betty in there. I've been to Raleigh Brewing Company but have only had 1 glass of beer.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:39 AM

Thanks guys - I updated my list to include those other ones. I should have remembered Deep River as I had some of their stuff at Brewgaloo last year!

FWIW my favorite Triangle brewery is Lonerider with Fullsteam a close second. To me it doesn't get much better than a pint of El Toro on a hot summer day or a pint of their Summer Farmhouse Basil and a slice of Klausie's pizza to go with it.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:41 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetpalmetto View Post
Thanks guys - I updated my list to include those other ones. I should have remembered Deep River as I had some of their stuff at Brewgaloo last year!

FWIW my favorite Triangle brewery is Lonerider with Fullsteam a close second. To me it doesn't get much better than a pint of El Toro on a hot summer day or a pint of their Summer Farmhouse Basil and a slice of Klausie's pizza to go with it.
That's what I was drinking on Saturday.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:44 AM

It's definitely good stuff - I love it when they have lemonade available and do a nice shandy with it.

Honestly the only Fullsteam beer I'm not wild about is their IPA and, in general, I'm not a huge IPA fan.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,289,282 times
Wait, is it possible I know about a Brewery opening that NewUser missed?

--->What about Bombshell Beer? Opening in Holly Springs this summer? Bombshell Beer Company

--->And Holly Springs Nano Brewing? Also coming soon! Nano Brewing

Both were sharing samples of their beer at a recent event at Carolina Brewing Company.

FWIW, I love love love hanging at Fullsteam, but their beer isn't for me. Not saying it isn't fantastic, just not my style. I do like the offerings at Bull City Burger and Brewery. In Raleigh, Lone Rider Peace Maker is a favorite. I hear very good things about Trophy Brewing.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Wait, is it possible I know about a Brewery opening that NewUser missed?

--->What about Bombshell Beer? Opening in Holly Springs this summer? Bombshell Beer Company

--->And Holly Springs Nano Brewing? Also coming soon! Nano Brewing

Both were sharing samples of their beer at a recent event at Carolina Brewing Company.

FWIW, I love love love hanging at Fullsteam, but their beer isn't for me. Not saying it isn't fantastic, just not my style. I do like the offerings at Bull City Burger and Brewery. In Raleigh, Lone Rider Peace Maker is a favorite. I hear very good things about Trophy Brewing.
Bull City's offerings seem the weakest to me - had their peach wheat last year and was less than impressed with it. To me BCBB does a lot of things OK and nothing well - even their burgers are just so-so. I'd rather have something from Chuck's, Spanky's, or OnlyBurger.

I'm also tempted to try Gizmo to see if the new ownership will bring more consistent quality beer (Gizmo was formerly Roth Brewing. The Roth Bros. sold the brewery to an ownership group comprised of regulars). I remember being impressed with the quality of Roth's beers when they first opened, but it seemed like as time went on they began cutting corners and the quality suffered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary