Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:13 PM

7,150 posts, read 4,744,539 times

Advertisements

Oh, ya gotta check out the Stonehenge area where I ended up, and less expensive Greystone. Small lakes, large lots, walking trails around the water, huge trees, very lush and green well-kept neighborhoods where you can sit out and not be seen or heard by your neighbors if you don't want to.
Location? In my humble opinion, it's way at the top for convenience to everything, plus zip airport noise. Good luck!
toodie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 06:58 PM

18 posts, read 39,473 times
Another vote for Stonehenge. A friend of mine who loves live music (plays in a band, actually) lives there. Some of N. Raleigh's coolest restaurants are walkable, Margeaux's and Oliver Twist Tapas & Martini Lounge. For more of a down to earth night out, Crowley's of Stonehenge, the Sawmill Taproom, and Buffaloes are good bets.

Like North Raleigh Guy said, there is a house listed there now for less than $250 on a bit more than 1/2 acre, which is a great price for that neighborhood. (And, I don't think they pay city taxes in that part of the neighborhood...?)

Old 11-01-2007, 06:30 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,106,001 times
I grew up in Stonehenge and it is an outstanding area with convenience that's hard to beat. The community pool and raquet club is pretty nice, too...3 pools and a seemingly infinite number of tennis courts with a range of playing surfaces.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:48 AM

285 posts, read 1,040,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
There is no sugar coating that Durham has more crime than some of the other towns. There are reasons you'll find stuff to be cheaper in Durham. But it has definitely has some nice neighborhoods. If you find something that works for you, it can be a great bargain.
I would say that part of Durham has problems with crime. Hope Valley or Woodcroft, for example, have as little in common with the rough parts of Durham as the whole of Cary does. It's just a shame that because the roughest spots of the Triangle happen to fall into the Durham city limits, that the entire city is tainted. I happen to think that Boston is a desirable city, and there's some darn bad parts of Boston. I lived in Old West Durham for several years in a darling old mill house and never had a single problem with crime. None of my neighbors worried about crime there either. It's a myth that the whole of Durham is unlivable just because one section is rough.

For your price range, I think you'd do much better in Durham than you would in Raleigh. Others have mentioned some neighborhoods- I'd definitely try Duke Park, Watts-Hillandale, Forest Hills, Old West Durham and Old North Durham, among other neighborhoods near downtown. A realtor who knows Durham well can steer you in a safe direction.

Southwestern Durham is nice and close to Southpoint Mall. Woodcroft IS suburban, but the homes were built in the 80's and 90's, and seem less cookie-cutter to me than other suburban neighborhoods. I would consider living there myself, and I'm not a fan of suburbia.

Over in Chapel Hill, your price range may squeeze you in over in Briarcliff or Colony Woods, where the lots are decent and the schools are excellent. There is a wonderful free bus system in Chapel Hill, and these two neighborhoods are down the street from the new Trader Joe's. These two neighborhoods feature homes predominantly from the 60's and 70's, but many of them have been updated and I'm fairly convinced that the split level is due for a comeback.

You might also want to check out downtown Apex. I lived in a fabulous arts and crafts bungalow within walking distance of the darling downtown.

All the neighborhoods I can think of ITB in Raleigh cost an arm and a leg, but I think someone had some good suggestions just outside the beltline. Quail Hollow seems particularly nice to me.

There are older neighborhoods in the downtown Cary area that might be attractive to you, but I don't really know much about them. Perhaps a Cary person can help there.

Good luck!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:48 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,662 times
"For your price range, I think you'd do much better in Durham than you would in Raleigh. Others have mentioned some neighborhoods- I'd definitely try Duke Park, Watts-Hillandale, Forest Hills, Old West Durham and Old North Durham, among other neighborhoods near downtown."

Ditto!

I think you'll get the most for your money, plus the chance to live within a short bike or walk ride away from Whole Foods, East Campus of Duke, live entertainment, restaurants, etc.

Here are some links for more exploration:

Old West Durham: Old West Durham Neighborhood Association
Old North Durham: Old North Durham NC Real Estate and Homes for Sale

Old 11-01-2007, 10:25 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdaClaire View Post
I would say that part of Durham has problems with crime. Hope Valley or Woodcroft, for example, have as little in common with the rough parts of Durham as the whole of Cary does. It's just a shame that because the roughest spots of the Triangle happen to fall into the Durham city limits, that the entire city is tainted. I happen to think that Boston is a desirable city, and there's some darn bad parts of Boston.
I couldn't agree more.

It annoys me to no end that someone would suggest that people are trying to 'sugar coat' any crime stats. On the contrary, those that recommend Durham, are actually trying to present a more accurate picture.

Just because a city has lower crime stats, doesn't mean that all parts of the city are safe. And on the flip side, just because a city has higher crime stats doesn't mean that all parts of the city are UNsafe.

While Durham statistically has 'more' crime, you have to define more:

Actual Reported Population and Crimes 2005:
..................Durham, NC ----------------------Raleigh, NC
Population: 205,080 ----------------- 332,084
Murder: 35 ---------- 20
Forcible Rape: 89 ---------------- 88
Robbery: 627 --------------- 762
Aggravated Assault: 726 ----------------- 1181
Burglary: 3157 ------------------ 3040
Larceny Theft: 7944 ---------------- 8480
Vehicle Theft: 936 ----------------- 1008
Source: Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Moreover, the 'old timers' that perpetuate the stereotype of Durham being a 'high crime' city, forget that many people asking questions on this forum are moving from cities where crime is even higher than Durham.

Compared to, for example, Atlanta, Georgia, Durham looks like a 'safe haven' by comparison.

Again, it's all relative, and it would be much more helpful to newbies, and people asking about the area if posters could post educated, non-inflammatory responses, rather than misinfomed comments based on stereotypes.

Last edited by Yac; 01-09-2008 at 04:05 AM..

Old 11-01-2007, 10:29 AM

22 posts, read 57,121 times
I'd second the Woodcroft area. There's also a good bit of new construction going on near there, with larger lots, but that are is an old-school neighborhood with walking trails, lots of old trees, privacy, and definitely tucked away as well. Right off of 40, up from Southpoint. I'm looking locally for a new place, and am surprised at how much cheaper SW Durham is than CH, which is 2 miles away down a 4-lane HW. My unenlightened opinion is that this area is knocked down a bit for being "in Durham" but has a lot to offer for the buyer.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:34 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,291 times
I'll add another voice to the Stonehenge choir. This is a really nice part of the Triangle. Reasonable sized lots, nearby shopping, community tennis/swimming, and convenient to both I-440 and I-540. Lots to like about this area.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:36 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sackolantern View Post
I'd second the Woodcroft area. There's also a good bit of new construction going on near there, with larger lots, but that are is an old-school neighborhood with walking trails, lots of old trees, privacy, and definitely tucked away as well. Right off of 40, up from Southpoint. I'm looking locally for a new place, and am surprised at how much cheaper SW Durham is than CH, which is 2 miles away down a 4-lane HW. My unenlightened opinion is that this area is knocked down a bit for being "in Durham" but has a lot to offer for the buyer.
I LOVE Woodcroft. It's exactly as Sackolantern describes. Plus, you'll can walk/bike to a grocery store, drug store, restaurants with outdoor seating, yoga & pilates, etc, etc, etc...

Old 11-01-2007, 02:22 PM

3 posts, read 10,595 times
Wow, what a great response from everybody, especially the senior & junior members. Your information is great and I will begin the task of checking out these areas. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary