Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM

4 posts, read 8,373 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are possibly relocating to the Raleigh area this fall. We love Greenville, SC and would love a similar downtown area. We would like a house, townhouse, or condo within a mile or two of "the downtown area".

We are both in our early 30's and would prefer to stay away from the college crowd. However, we do enjoy going downtown Friday and Saturday nights for a nice and dinner and then drinks afterwards.

I have heard that the warehouse district and five points is great in Raleigh but not really finding nice houses around these areas. Is there anything in Durham similar? Are there other areas similar that I could be looking in?

Thanks for any help. We are renting just for a year before we buy so are wanting to spend around 1400-1600.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 08:57 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
I'd tell you that downtown Durham might be more like downtown Greenville, especially if you want to avoid college crowds as downtown Raleigh is much more popular and has many more colleges nearby.

Downtown Durham is much more walkable, it has DPAC, like The Peace Center, and lots of public events. Plus there is the ball field, the food trucks, great restaurants, and general good vibe.

No waterfalls though.

Last edited by Sayantsi; 05-08-2013 at 09:10 PM..

Old 05-09-2013, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the reply.

Are there any neighborhoods in particular we should look? Maybe historic areas that have been renovated?

Thanks again

Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Sayantsi, there is the manmade waterfall at the American Tobacco Campus in Durham!

http://foter.com/f/photo/8530154776/4b9fd3d16c/

Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMJAM923 View Post
My fiance and I are possibly relocating to the Raleigh area this fall. We love Greenville, SC and would love a similar downtown area. We would like a house, townhouse, or condo within a mile or two of "the downtown area".

We are both in our early 30's and would prefer to stay away from the college crowd. However, we do enjoy going downtown Friday and Saturday nights for a nice and dinner and then drinks afterwards.

I have heard that the warehouse district and five points is great in Raleigh but not really finding nice houses around these areas. Is there anything in Durham similar? Are there other areas similar that I could be looking in?

Thanks for any help. We are renting just for a year before we buy so are wanting to spend around 1400-1600.
Just curious, why did you decide to leave Greenville area and relocate to the Raleigh area?

Old 05-09-2013, 03:44 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Sayantsi, there is the manmade waterfall at the American Tobacco Campus in Durham!

American Tobacco Campus Waterfall Photos - Download Free Photos
LOL! True, but it's a poor substitute for Greenville's!

Old 06-05-2013, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
Just curious, why did you decide to leave Greenville area and relocate to the Raleigh area?
Job Relocation. Money was great and was not able to turn down.

The only areas I can find that sound similar to Greenville, SC are Brightleaf in Durham and maybe Five Points in Raleigh.

I was hoping for more of a craftsman style house to rent for a year while we decide where to buy, but they do not seem to exist like they do in Greenville.

Any suggestions of websites to go to other than craigslist and durhamrent/raleighrent?

Or, does anyone know a neighborhood with nice Craftsman style housing? We would be willing to go a little further out for true Craftsman style homes.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMJAM923 View Post
Job Relocation. Money was great and was not able to turn down.

The only areas I can find that sound similar to Greenville, SC are Brightleaf in Durham and maybe Five Points in Raleigh.

I was hoping for more of a craftsman style house to rent for a year while we decide where to buy, but they do not seem to exist like they do in Greenville.

Any suggestions of websites to go to other than craigslist and durhamrent/raleighrent?

Or, does anyone know a neighborhood with nice Craftsman style housing? We would be willing to go a little further out for true Craftsman style homes.
There are Craftsman homes near Five Points. They're just way out of the price range you've listed here.

Have you visited the area to look for housing yet?

Old 06-05-2013, 05:21 PM

171 posts, read 430,244 times
Greenville is quite unique. You'll find little bits and pieces of downtowns in the Triangle which remind you vaguely of Greenville. If you do experience this feeling, you wouldn't be wrong, because Greenville is one of THE examples of modern urban planning and city planners lift ideas liberally from Greenville (hey! it worked there...why not?)

Don't expect to find something parallel. If someone tries to tell you ____ city is just like Greenville, then they're wrong. You'll enjoy yourself in Raleigh or Durham if you're open-minded. Both cities have plenty to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary