Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 02:36 PM

415 posts, read 1,110,452 times

Advertisements

Shall I start out with the general question:

Where should I live?

And leave it at that?

ok, ok, I'll be more specific. I've been living in Garner for about 5 years. My husband was born and raised here. Never lived more than 10 miles from the home he grew up in. He has recently taken a job at Duke and we are thinking about moving up there to save on commute time/cost. My ideal is to live East, South, or South-east of the campus, within a 5-mile radius of his office (which is on the NE side of campus).

If I thought we could find what we're looking for (3+/2+, 2500+sq ft, 2 car garage), in the price range we need (<250k), I'd LOVE to live in Trinity Park.

Alas.

So I'm digging around on Realtor dot com and see some possibilities in Hope Valley, Hope Valley Farms, Woodcroft (or maybe it's called Woodlake?). What other neighborhoods should I peruse in that area?

And I can drive around the neighborhoods, but how do I reeaally figure things out? We have toddler twins and I'll have to start thinking about school for 2015. There seem to be so many ways to judge whether a school is "good" or not. The crime statistics for all of Durham are really alarming (compared to Garner). How do I drill it down by neighborhood?

When I moved here I moved into the house my husband had already been living in. We didn't have kids then. Figuring out the whole neighborhood thing suddenly seems like a life or death decision

TIA!

Jenny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2013, 04:21 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
Jenny - no advice but just wanted to say hi and WOW, a LOT has changed for you in the last few years since we met at a CD meetup at Rudinos in Cary.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Ain't that the truth!!!! Married, twins, SAHM sheesh - I wouldn't have believed it if you'd told me this is what my 2013 life would look like. But it's great :-)

Old 05-17-2013, 04:45 PM

43,309 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Jenny - no advice but just wanted to say hi and WOW, a LOT has changed for you in the last few years since we met at a CD meetup at Rudinos in Cary.
I thought that was at the Late Great Hibernian on Glenwood, IIRC.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:04 PM

Both!

Old 05-17-2013, 06:23 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,426,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I thought that was at the Late Great Hibernian on Glenwood, IIRC.

I was at one at the Hibernian in May 2008 but this was several months or perhaps a year later. I met Jenny when a just a few of us met at Rudino's on High House....
You were there, DH and myself, NedB with his wife/kids and the ever elusive, In & Out, Exit MA Now...etc etc.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:56 PM

224 posts, read 432,536 times
This doesn't happen to be the Jenny with the PPB diaper bag by any chance?? if so, you will know which twin mom I am
We are selling our house and trying to figure out where to live too!

If you want, I can get you in touch with another twin mom who lives in Durham--I'm sure she'd be of some help

Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
I was at one at the Hibernian in May 2008 but this was several months or perhaps a year later. I met Jenny when a just a few of us met at Rudino's on High House....
You were there, DH and myself, NedB with his wife/kids and the ever elusive, In & Out, Exit MA Now...etc etc.
hahahaha good ol' Exit MA - he's a good friend of mine. We were co-workers and I chastised him all the time about being a troll. He's moved to Florida now so I suppose he hasn't graced these forums in some time. We can only hope he's tormenting people on the Tampa Bay forums now! I have a special place in my heart for him because I met him at that meetup in 2008 and he is the one who gave me the lead on the job I got. It was a fantastic job, I loved working with him, and I am forever grateful for having had that opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
This doesn't happen to be the Jenny with the PPB diaper bag by any chance?? if so, you will know which twin mom I am
We are selling our house and trying to figure out where to live too!

If you want, I can get you in touch with another twin mom who lives in Durham--I'm sure she'd be of some help
Yup, that's me! LOL How'd you catch me? I haven't told anyone (family, friends, etc) yet that we are going to do this, and the timeline is flexible. Next week or 18 months from now, who knows? So let's keep it on the down low for now (the rest of the exec board would kill me if they thought I was going to abandon them!!!). (p.s. I declined the purple PPB bag and wanted another on CL but someone else snatched it. Argh!)

So my hubby is going to go driving around tomorrow while I attend a function that CAbornNClivin should also be attending

He has printed out listings for 7 houses in the general area we think we like. I'd still love more info about the wedge of Durham sandwiched between 147/501/I40

Old 05-17-2013, 09:18 PM

224 posts, read 432,536 times
Hehe.....Jenny, Garner, twins...you're the only person I know that fits that description...lol. And the way you wrote the post sounds just like you in person!

No worries; I won't say anything!!

I will say, Durham gets a bad rap, but there are some very nice areas and there's a lot to do out there. We were just there today at the Life & Science museum and had a great time. My friend with twins (and a singleton) said she is there most Saturdays. Our boys had lots of fun, so I can totally understand why!

I won't be at the function tomorrow (I didn't know it was for old members too, but I guess that makes sense!) Have fun!

Old 05-17-2013, 09:39 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,150,426 times
Hey! I remember meeting you too! Back then I was a SAHM and now I'm a WOHM who doesn't even live in the Triangle anymore (but I still have a lot of family there). Congratulations on all the changes!

I have family who used to live in Woodcroft, but they intentionally moved before the kids hit school age. It's a nice neighborhood with great trails. I also have family who lived in MaryDell, which is a great neighborhood but may be a little higher than your price range. There are so many more strip malls in that area now, though, that it is hard to think of it as the same place.

Don't know if you've looked at this link but it has been posted here a couple of times and is good for schools: Strong Durham Schools

Also, you might want to look north. I have some friends who have raised their kids in the Treyburn area and have been very happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary