Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 02:41 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTP2008 View Post
An unleashed black dog was running to us.
I was totally scared, I screamed and cried when it was running to us.
Have you always been afraid of dogs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 04:03 PM

4,254 posts, read 3,175,378 times
We all know that there are leash laws, however, sometimes dogs just get loose. Was this a singular event? The OP's reaction could have got her into some serious trouble with the wrong dog!!!! I suspect she is petrified of dogs in general (otherwise she would not have reacted in that manner).

PS: Animal control is by and large pretty useless. My son-in-law was asked by them to capture and hold a Pit Bull that was terrorizing the neighborhood-then they would come out and pick it up.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:21 PM

206 posts, read 310,552 times
I'm curious why you did not call 911 and get the cops there as soon as it happened? The would have taken action and tracked the owner down so you wouldn't be scared to go out. Now its too late, unless you see the dog again. If you do please call 911 so they can set the owner straight.

Also get some pepper spray and carry it. It will work on dogs too.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:26 PM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,612 times
Animal control is a horrible idea. Are you saying this is a totally stray dog running around the entire neighborhood without an owner? I would wait around to see who claims the dog and then just talk to the owner. Animal control can result in this poor animal getting caught up in an unfortunate mess.

Geez when did people get so scared of everything, including just talking to people, especially neighbors, instead of wasting law enforcements time?

Edit: I just re read the post and am even more frustrated. How about you, or one of these apparent public defenders or victims, take a look at the tag on the dog and try to return it to the owner? This could be someone's lost best friend. Im shocked. You'd think this was a bear given the tone of your frightened post. I get not everyone's a dog person, but it sounds like a bunch of neighbors I sure would hate to have.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:31 PM

206 posts, read 310,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Animal control is a horrible idea. Are you saying this is a totally stray dog running around the entire neighborhood without an owner? I would wait around to see who claims the dog and then just talk to the owner. Animal control can result in this poor animal getting caught up in an unfortunate mess.

Geez when did people get so scared of everything, including just talking to people, especially neighbors, instead of wasting law enforcements time?

If an unknown dog is walking up to anyone and they feel scared they should call 911 asap, not wait for an owner who may not show up. And if you have pepper spray and the dog gets too close spray it. You never know what a dog will do even if its wearing tags. It might be friendly to the owner and hostile to strangers, no way to know.

Call 911 and say a dog you have never seen is walking to you and you are scared and they will tell you what to do.

All dogs should be on a leash imo unless fenced in. The owner in this situation got off scott free because the op didn't know to call 911.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:31 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
I said animal control because the OP is clearly afraid of dogs AND she had a baby with her. if the dog has a tag, the AC officer is going to call the number on the tag.

If the OP weren't afraid of dogs I would have said call the dog over calmly and call the number on the tag. But, she has an infant with her and she said she cried and screamed. What's she supposed to do? it's right in her neighborhood.

Given the OP's heightened anxiety I still say use Spray Shield instead of pepper spray, lest something happen to the baby. My dog trainer recommended spray shield.

Old 05-26-2013, 06:46 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Obviously the OP is afraid of dogs....but regardless, it's kind of hard to get close to a barking dog to see its tags. You cannot be serious by suggesting that.

There are also plenty of irresponsible and clueless dog owners out there. We just got a dog - I have never owned a dog before and did a lot of research and reading on dog ownership/training etc. Now when I walk around I am FLOORED at how some people handle man's best friend. I was also dismayed last time I went to the vet and saw a lost sign posted with the following info:

Not wearing a tag
Not vaccinated
Doesn't answer when called by name

and so on. This is NOT everyone else's problem. yeah, I feel for the animal, but I will never feel worse for an animal than I do for a human. It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that this person was at fault for not knowing what to do or reacting the way they did. A barking dog that charges at you is nothing to trifle with, no matter how much you may fancy yourself to be a "dog whisperer". Even my puppy knows to back off from certain animals in our neighborhood.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:14 PM

492 posts, read 1,152,266 times
I was never afraid of dogs till last yr when someone's black n white pit bull repeatedly was running loose and would chase me and my little dog when walking, at least 5-7 times. Twice another walker had to help me. I never found out where the dog lived. I stopped going around my block. Noticed about5 mo ago that I never see that dog anymore so he either got taken away, given away or maybe hit by a car. Nobody's dog should run loose. I feel very bad for the OP. it's extremely frightening when a dog you don't know is loose and acting aggressively.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:36 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Obviously the OP is afraid of dogs....but regardless, it's kind of hard to get close to a barking dog to see its tags. You cannot be serious by suggesting that.

There are also plenty of irresponsible and clueless dog owners out there. We just got a dog - I have never owned a dog before and did a lot of research and reading on dog ownership/training etc. Now when I walk around I am FLOORED at how some people handle man's best friend. I was also dismayed last time I went to the vet and saw a lost sign posted with the following info:

Not wearing a tag
Not vaccinated
Doesn't answer when called by name

and so on. This is NOT everyone else's problem. yeah, I feel for the animal, but I will never feel worse for an animal than I do for a human. It is absolutely ridiculous to suggest that this person was at fault for not knowing what to do or reacting the way they did. A barking dog that charges at you is nothing to trifle with, no matter how much you may fancy yourself to be a "dog whisperer". Even my puppy knows to back off from certain animals in our neighborhood.
This is exactly why I suggested animal control.

I like dogs and all, but unless a dog approaches me in a very friendly manner and has tags, I'm gonna leave it up to animal control.

I am amazed at how irresponsible some dog owners are. And how thoughtless.

When we were house hunting, we looked at a spec home in Copperleaf where the neighbors (who were new to the neighborhood) had a fence built and put the dog run DIRECTLY under the master bedroom window of the house we were looking at. This was over six months ago and that house is finally contingent.

Why on earth anyone would put it (oh! And the basketball hoop!) right under the neighbor's master bedroom window is beyond me.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:23 AM

51,653 posts, read 25,819,464 times
We were considering buying a Telescoping Stun Stick w/LED Flashlight, Alarm & Holster last year. Does anyone have experience with something like this?

Several times last year we crossed paths with a man walking a large German Shepard type dog that he could barely control. The dog growled and lunged. The owner would eventually get him under control and haul him off. Once he fell and the dog drug him several yards. Mercifully, he was able to hang on to the leash.

After several 911 calls, we never saw the two of them again, so we lost interest in getting the stun gun stick. But seemed like a good idea at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary