Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 07:25 PM

7 posts, read 25,743 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

Me and my husband are considering Raleigh as a possible move or should I say our last move. My husband is retiring from the army and will be going overseas to work as a contractor. Most of our assignments have been overseas, although he was stationed at Bragg twice (total time 10+ years). I have to say that even though we spent a significant amount of time at Bragg, we never really considered living in Fayetteville/Spring Lake outside of the military. I've always loved the Raleigh area and we did quite a bit of commuting for shopping, entertainment etc while we were at Bragg. We realize we would miss out on being close to the base for diff amenities, medical, however, we aren't trying to revolve our lives around a military base. If we made the move we would be looking to buy a 4/5 bdrm home no more than $350,000 budget. We would love to be in an area with good school districts. I realize the higher the budget the better, but is it reasonable to assume we could find a place within this price range with decent schools? Oh and I'm currently in school working on getting my MSW, so my line of work would include counseling (behavioral health)/social work. Any info or advice on different neighborhoods/areas etc would be helpful. We are also researching and considering overall cost of living in Raleigh as well.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 08:33 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
I think your budget is fine, and you would find many housing choices available with 4-5 bedrooms.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:38 PM

11 posts, read 14,325 times
Raleigh is our "last" move too. I've accepted a job here because my husband is medically retiring from the Army after 10 years and we were looking for a permanent area. We've been here less than a week, so I'm not really much help. We decided to rent in the area before we buy so we can get to know the area. We did considering buying though and I think for that amount you should find something quite nice.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 AM

Ok, thank you both for replying.
PM571, I wish you and her husband well during this transition.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:31 AM

I was also wondering if we would have any issues with providers accepting tricare there? Do most accept it?

Old 06-07-2013, 05:26 AM

68 posts, read 134,167 times
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Midtown Raleigh (aka, North Hills, et al) is a nice areawith good schools. I should mention that Wake Co. Schools is having quite a fewproblems now. First, they can't seem to lock down a good superintendent.Second, the common core standards here are rigid, but Gov. McCrory isaddressing that now, too. Northwest Raleigh (Leesville and Creedmoor Roadareas), though, may present the best of both worlds. It's a very safe area thatis also close to Durham, Chapel Hill, etc. You would also have quick access to540 and 40. You may want to check into Brier Creek off of Lumley Road, it's notfar the previous location I just mentioned. The suburbs such as Wake Forest,Apex, and Holly Springs may indeed be appealing to you also.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 06-09-2013, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomDewey123 View Post
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Midtown Raleigh (aka, North Hills, et al) is a nice areawith good schools. I should mention that Wake Co. Schools is having quite a fewproblems now. First, they can't seem to lock down a good superintendent.Second, the common core standards here are rigid, but Gov. McCrory isaddressing that now, too. Northwest Raleigh (Leesville and Creedmoor Roadareas), though, may present the best of both worlds. It's a very safe area thatis also close to Durham, Chapel Hill, etc. You would also have quick access to540 and 40. You may want to check into Brier Creek off of Lumley Road, it's notfar the previous location I just mentioned. The suburbs such as Wake Forest,Apex, and Holly Springs may indeed be appealing to you also.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Thanks Tom for that info. We would really love to be in the Raleigh city area (short commute to shopping etc) but I seem to be having a hard time finding a decent neighborhood/good schools within the city area. Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to insinuate the schools inside the city are bad or horrible, just that I notice scores are higher and schools are overall rated better in areas like Cary, Apex, and Wake Forest etc... Many of the new subdivisions with affordable housing I seem to be finding on trulia and realestate.com are in the Northeast area (27616), however, the schools in that area aren't rated as high. But the general feeling I get is that it's not a bad area overall (some good parts and some with higher crime) than say North Raleigh area. Well again, thanks for the info you provided as it was helpful.

Old 06-09-2013, 06:44 PM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Raleigh is a small city and unless you live ITB (in the beltline) you will end up in the suburbs, such as North Raleigh. That being said, North Raleigh is very similar to Cary and Apex in terms of suburbia, good schools, plenty of shopping etc. I'm in Cary and it takes me 20 minutes to get to Raleigh. Additionally, it will be very tough to find a nice 4-5 bedroom home ITB for 350K whereas you'd have plenty of options in the other areas I've mentioned.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Raleigh is a small city and unless you live ITB (in the beltline) you will end up in the suburbs, such as North Raleigh. That being said, North Raleigh is very similar to Cary and Apex in terms of suburbia, good schools, plenty of shopping etc. I'm in Cary and it takes me 20 minutes to get to Raleigh. Additionally, it will be very tough to find a nice 4-5 bedroom home ITB for 350K whereas you'd have plenty of options in the other areas I've mentioned.
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, we will not be able to move to Raleigh, my husband's new job (after military retirement) will be moving us on the other side of the country . Thanks to all who replied.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:57 AM

596 posts, read 1,240,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkIce View Post
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, we will not be able to move to Raleigh, my husband's new job (after military retirement) will be moving us on the other side of the country . Thanks to all who replied.
Lucky you, this is not a happening place if you are from a large metropolitan area, no offense NC, beautiful state, but not this area!!! Just my opinion ! Either the mountains or beach! Not the middle of neither !!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary