Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 10:02 AM

17 posts, read 34,761 times

Advertisements

Hi, all and thanks in advance.

We're considering a transfer to the Raleigh area and since it was so close to school starting I began calling around to find out the situation. ALL of the private schools we're considering are FULL at my child's grade level. We do private because our child is intellectually gifted and we believe private schools offer a broader range of "levels" of class instruction.

Our house buying decision is somewhat predicated on which school our child would be attending, as we don't want to drive for hours each day.

After I began hearing that the schools were full, I began researching gifted and talented public school programs and was informed that they are also full.

What do we do? Any suggestions?

A bit of further background: child will be entering 7th grade, has been taking French since age 2, and is advanced in both math/science and language/social studies.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 10:32 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
I mean, it sounds like you're SOL for 7th grade if you're only considering private, magnet, and charter programs. Which schools have you contacted so far?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:19 AM

766 posts, read 1,658,664 times
I am also wondering what private schools you've contacted. There are private schools around the triangle, but none should require hours of travel time. You might have to expand your driving distance, be open to looking at other private schools, or other just schools period.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:47 AM

17 posts, read 34,761 times
Default Thanks for you help

Hours in the car = 1/2 hour to school, then home for me, then 1/2 hour back for afternoon pick up, then 1/2 hour in the car home. This assumes I'm not working.

We looked at Cary Academy and Durham Academy since my husband would be working in the Cary area and upon recommendations from acquaintances. Both were full. We do not want a religious affiliated school. I did contact the public schools about g/t in Wake and Cary and were told they were full.

We have decided to change where we are looking for a house based upon school options. I do not want to buy a house and "hope" there's room in next year's class. I think we will just buy nearer to where she will probably end up going. I am not in favor of enrolling for one year and changing for the next.

I think we have decided on a solution, but I thank everyone for their help.

wsjthree

Old 06-28-2013, 11:54 AM

8,269 posts, read 25,110,414 times
Have you looked at the Triangle Math and Science Academy charter school? It's been a bit controversial on this board but it's worth looking into if there are spots. I think they have a new 7th grade this year, although I have no idea if it's filled or not. School Info

Both of my are/were Academically Gifted according to state standards and both of them, as well as all of their friends who are also AG, have been perfectly fine in regular public school in Cary. Both of them have had their needs met well in a differentiated classroom setting. Foreign Language may be one area you have to supplement for a year or two but by 9th grade, it's an option again.

Last edited by lamishra; 06-28-2013 at 12:35 PM..

Old 06-28-2013, 12:03 PM

4,598 posts, read 10,156,454 times
Ravenscroft and Duke School are two more secular private schools in the area with good reputations. No idea if they are full or not for next year. Exploris Middle charter school has a good reputation. I also have friends that have good things to say about Casa Esperanza, Magellan Charter, Sterling Montessori, and Kestrel Heights.

Last edited by evaofnc; 06-28-2013 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: s

Old 06-28-2013, 12:21 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
You should be able to get advanced courses in standard subjects at any public school in the area. Not all teach French, but if your child has been at it for 10 years, you'll be hard-pressed to find a public middle school that would challenge him/her in that area.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,167,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You should be able to get advanced courses in standard subjects at any public school in the area. Not all teach French, but if your child has been at it for 10 years, you'll be hard-pressed to find a public middle school that would challenge him/her in that area.
So why move here?

Sometimes it's best to decline a transfer if it causes problems.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Have you thought about living in Chapel Hill/Carrboro? CHCCS has excellent gifted services. I know they have a well regarded French program at Smith middle with the possiblity of traveling to France w/ the school.

Old 06-30-2013, 07:16 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,237,589 times
You should check out Ravenscroft and Carolina Friends
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary