Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 05:26 PM

77 posts, read 172,187 times

Advertisements

If you crave adventure, don't move here. Most boring place, the Triangle. People are like zombies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2013, 06:14 PM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcs11 View Post
If you crave adventure, don't move here. Most boring place, the Triangle. People are like zombies.
Lol, clearly all the population of an area as populated as the triangle are zombies. I never understood blanket statements like this. You seem like a jaded individual.

To the ts:
1. weather, although this could vary depending on where you are from. I'm from the NE, so I'll take the humid summer over the cold winter easily.
2. From my perspective in Apex, I think it is crazy most bars close by 12. Although, in downtown Raleigh that would not be an issue. I just never wanted to live in a big city.
3. Best advice? Would depend entirely where you are moving from. I've never been out west so i really do not know for your situation.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:41 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtcs11 View Post
“If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. … We need not wait to see what others do.”
-Mahatma Gandhi

Old 06-30-2013, 10:14 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Favorite Things:
1. Lack of traffic and congestion
2. Weather - mild winters

Least Favorite Things
1. Not as exciting as living in a large metropolitan area

Things You Should Know:
1. The stoplights have flashing yellow left arrows here

Old 07-01-2013, 09:48 AM

451 posts, read 769,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
I will try to answer this from your AZ perspective.

Good - Trees, green, bushes, flowers, humidity, change of seasons, southern accents (here and there - depending on what area you live in) still small-townish, rolling terrain v. totally flat.

Bad - Raleigh is an ex-small town that's overgrown itself - not a whole lot to see here museum/history/culture-wise. Highway system is inadequate, lots of traffic. Not even a freeway downtown - this amazes me still as most big cities and even smaller towns have a freeway that goes through the center of town.

Bugs/citters - You all have much worse critter problem than here. Tarantulas, scorpions, rattlers, gila monsters - - -none of that here.

It's always funny to hear an outsider's impression of your home state. I spent the first eighteen years of my life in the mountains of northern Arizona, at about 6,000 ft. elevation. We could get snow October through May, and it wasn't unheard of to have a few feet of snow and no power. There are oak trees, pines, and junipers where I grew up, and beautiful mountains. In that area, we have deer, elk, javelina, raccoons, snakes, lizards, rabbits, squirrels, lots of different birds, and sometimes bears and mountain lions. The bug problem is pretty much limited to gnats and watermelon beetles in the summer. The only times I have seen a tarantula in the wild was up in the mountains.

In Phoenix, it's a desert in a valley, so we are surrounded by mountains. We have lots of different types of cactus, palo verde trees, and other non-native vegetation that has been planted for the sake of pretty landscaping. There are snakes, lizards, coyotes, cactus wrens, quail, rabbits, and ground squirrels in the city, but I've never seen a Gila monster in the wild. We have cockroaches and crickets, and the crickets attract the scorpions. But the cockroaches are small and for the most part can't fly. We have crazy dust storms that are dangerous to drive in and when it rains it comes down in BUCKETS.

What neither place really has is a coast closer than a six hour drive away, real grass, or trees with leaves that change color. These are things that I would love to experience when we move to a new place.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:20 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
It just rained over 5 inches on Sunday in Chapel Hill, breaking the previous record. Does Phoenix get buckets like that?

This is what our roaches look like. We call them "palmetto bugs" to avoid having to say the word "roach".

The bugs people love the most are ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos. The roaches are huge, but they don't bite like these others do. People also seem especially fond of our copperhead snakes. They're all over NC. We lead the country in venomous snake bites.

We have tons of deer. On any given day I can look out my front window and see a herd of deer in my front yard. Back yard has a big fence so they don't go back there. We also have a black bear visiting lately, although they aren't usually hanging around in this part of the state. Lots of them in the mountains and even more in SE NC. Plenty of coyotes here, too. No tarantulas (although we do have black widows) or gila monsters. No rattlers in the Triangle, but they're in the mountains and SE NC — I think we have 3 or 4 varieties of rattler.

We have lovely beaches (2.5 hrs away) and especially lush grass this year since it seems like it's rained almost every day this summer and very pretty fall colors in the mountains in particular, but throughout the state.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:33 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Favorite Things:
1. Lack of traffic and congestion
2. Weather - mild winters

Least Favorite Things
1. Not as exciting as living in a large metropolitan area

Things You Should Know:
1. The stoplights have flashing yellow left arrows here

The flashy things are fairly new, at least it Cary.

I HATE them.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:40 AM

1,590 posts, read 4,623,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It just rained over 5 inches on Sunday in Chapel Hill, breaking the previous record. Does Phoenix get buckets like that?
during monsoon season we get rain like that. we get our entire years worth of rain in a few hours... Sometimes real nasty hail too. here is a video of a hail storm a few years back.

Phoenix Hail Storm - YouTube

Old 07-01-2013, 10:54 AM

451 posts, read 769,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
This is what our roaches look like. We call them "palmetto bugs" to avoid having to say the word "roach".

The bugs people love the most are ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos. The roaches are huge, but they don't bite like these others do. People also seem especially fond of our copperhead snakes. They're all over NC. We lead the country in venomous snake bites.

I'm not really worried about snakes, as long as they don't harm my pets. Mosquitos aren't a major worry and neither are chiggers, once I found out that they don't actually burrow under your skin like I had heard. But ticks and those giant roaches squick me out big time. Just how bad are they inside?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
I've lived in the Triangle for over 25 years and have yet to have any issues with roaches inside my house. I do spray for bugs and try to keep the house reasonably clean (quite the challenge with an 8 year old son ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary