Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 11:25 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Just how bad are they inside?
If you don't leave food around, a single family house will not normally have roaches. Sometimes rental houses have them if previous tenants were sloppy. They can go between units in townhouses and apartments.

If you see them, just get the house professionally sprayed for insects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCrazyRedhead View Post
Hi there! I've lived in Arizona for my whole life so far, and I'm just itching for a change. My husband and I are hoping to move to the east coast in the spring, and Raleigh (and the surrounding area) is one of the places we're thinking about moving to. I'd like to get some insight on the place from people who live in the area, so

1. What is your favorite thing about living in the Triangle?

2. What is your least favorite thing about living in the Triangle?

3. What is the best Triangle-specific advice you have for someone who wants to move there (not advice on moving to a new place in general)? For example, if I were to answer this question about Phoenix I would say to make sure all of your vehicles have working AC.

Thanks! :-)
Ahhh answerable questions. How fill in the black!

1. The spring and fall weather. Sorry that is two so I am double happy I guess!

2. The points! I tend to like circles and ellipses....the three points in a triangle....what's the point?

3. Bring a good direction finder....area is spread out and sprawls more each year!

Old 07-03-2013, 07:51 PM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
It just rained over 5 inches on Sunday in Chapel Hill, breaking the previous record. Does Phoenix get buckets like that?

This is what our roaches look like. We call them "palmetto bugs" to avoid having to say the word "roach".

The bugs people love the most are ticks, chiggers, and mosquitos. The roaches are huge, but they don't bite like these others do. People also seem especially fond of our copperhead snakes. They're all over NC. We lead the country in venomous snake bites.

We have tons of deer. On any given day I can look out my front window and see a herd of deer in my front yard. Back yard has a big fence so they don't go back there. We also have a black bear visiting lately, although they aren't usually hanging around in this part of the state. Lots of them in the mountains and even more in SE NC. Plenty of coyotes here, too. No tarantulas (although we do have black widows) or gila monsters. No rattlers in the Triangle, but they're in the mountains and SE NC — I think we have 3 or 4 varieties of rattler.

We have lovely beaches (2.5 hrs away) and especially lush grass this year since it seems like it's rained almost every day this summer and very pretty fall colors in the mountains in particular, but throughout the state.
Ugh, these things freak me out. Is it really common to have these in your house? I do a better job of keeping clean than I use to in MA, but I am hardly "super clean". Still never had anything in my house besides a few ants, spiders and some centipede looking bugs. However, just got back from a Myrtle hotel and saw 2 huge roaches, they obviously do no harm, but if I saw them in my house I would feel like I was living in a dump

Old 07-09-2013, 11:34 PM

1,094 posts, read 882,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Favorite Things:

Things You Should Know:
1. The stoplights have flashing yellow left arrows here
Only 5 states DON'T have them now:

- Hawaii - Never considered it

- Indiana - The laws are in place, but the driver manual will not be updated for two years.

- Maryland - The legislature prohibited them after the state experimented with them. Flashing red arrows are used.

- Pennsylvania - Rejected them (and the entire 2009 upgrade)

- West Virginia - never considered it

All of the other 45 states and DC have at least one installation,.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:12 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter View Post
Only 5 states DON'T have them now:

- Hawaii - Never considered it

- Indiana - The laws are in place, but the driver manual will not be updated for two years.

- Maryland - The legislature prohibited them after the state experimented with them. Flashing red arrows are used.

- Pennsylvania - Rejected them (and the entire 2009 upgrade)

- West Virginia - never considered it

All of the other 45 states and DC have at least one installation,.
Interesting. I moved here from Northern Virginia and am from Pennsylvania where my family still lives, so I do drive the Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania route often. But I cannot say I have ever seen it before moving to North Carolina. I'm sure they were not in NoVA where I lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary