Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2013, 07:29 AM

119 posts, read 207,059 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used a cat boarding facility that they loved?? I already visitd the Cat Clinic of Cary and I thought the cat "rooms" were sort of small. I saw the largest one they had and it was like my walk in closet with no windows or anything. (though decorated very cute). does anyone have any suggestions?? I have 3 cats-- 2 of them would preferably be kept together as they are littermates who are very close to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:06 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catmom View Post
does anyone have any suggestions?? I have 3 cats-- 2 of them would preferably be kept together as they are littermates who are very close to each other.
Can you use a cat sitter who comes to the house? The one time I boarded my cats, both came home very sick. Because of the stress, they caught airborne infections from other cats, even though the facility looked clean.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:12 AM

DH is afraid to have someone coming in and out of the house. afraid a cat will run out or afraid that hey will vomit and no one will clean the stains up... I think he just does not like someone coming to the house when no on e is home honestly. ALSO--- and this is a big issue..... they get fed 4 small meals a day. they are vomiters, after all. and I can't afford to have someone come 4 times a day. the one time we used a girl for cat sitting she charged $30/visit (then I had my MIL living with us so MIL did 2 feedings and the girl did 1 and they made due with 3 feedings) but I am not in that situation now.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:25 PM

150 posts, read 233,638 times
Consider a sitter who will stay overnight and most of the day. The big services typically charge at least $70 per night then extra for daytime visits, but if you boarded 4 cats, you'd probably be paying that much anyway.

Cats really prefer to be in their own home environment; the stress of a kennel stay can make them sick.

Try care.com or your vet's office and see if any of their techs will do it for extra money.

Full disclosure: I ran a petsitting business full-time when I lived in Florida. Overnights didn't faze me a bit.

Old 07-15-2013, 02:40 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,370 times
Is there a health issue with the cats in question. I have owned cats my whole life and am not familiar with cats throwing up after they eat. I am just curious.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyn7cyn View Post
Is there a health issue with the cats in question. I have owned cats my whole life and am not familiar with cats throwing up after they eat. I am just curious.
one of them just gorges and purges if you give her too much at any one sitting. and they all get a hairball at least once/week.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatkay View Post
Consider a sitter who will stay overnight and most of the day. The big services typically charge at least $70 per night then extra for daytime visits, but if you boarded 4 cats, you'd probably be paying that much anyway.

Cats really prefer to be in their own home environment; the stress of a kennel stay can make them sick.

Try care.com or your vet's office and see if any of their techs will do it for extra money.

Full disclosure: I ran a petsitting business full-time when I lived in Florida. Overnights didn't faze me a bit.

It is 3 cats and what I have heard so far would be about $70/day for all of them to be in a kennel. I am not thrilled iwth ehe idea of having someone sleep in my house. We have kenneled them in NYC and it went fine when I could not depend on a family member to watch them. $70/day is prpob the most I am able to pay even if I liked the idea of someone staying over night.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:42 PM
ERH

1,700 posts, read 2,531,678 times
Two recommendations: Town & Country Animal Care and Green Level Kennel.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:02 AM

5,891 posts, read 6,958,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3catmom View Post
afraid that hey will vomit and no one will clean the stains up
As I was reading this, I thought this comment applied to potential house sitters

Old 07-17-2013, 06:31 AM

662 posts, read 1,644,610 times
I've never boarded my cats but have taken a tour of Suite Paws Pet Resort (www.suitepaws.com) and it looked nice for cats. Not sure how much they charge but it's probably on their website.

I understand costs can be an issue, but it might help with peace of mind regarding having a stranger in your home - the pet sitting company I work for is licensed, insured, and employees must pass a background check and be bonded. My company has been in business for 10 years and most of our sitters have been with the company for several years, and we have excellent reviews. We are trained in pet CPR and all of us have extensive animal care experience. We love and care for the pets like they are our own (a drawback for us sometimes because it hurts so much when it's time for them to go to the Bridge; I had a kitty client pass away the other day and it's been hard, sharing in grief with the owners). We provide live-in options as well as up to three visits a day for cats, and we do clean cat messes if instructed and you leave cleaning supplies out, and any other assigned pet tasks. We also text/email you pics and notes with updates as frequently as you'd like.

For anyone who might be looking for a sitter, I recommend checking out TAPPS (Home | Triangle Area Professional Pet Sitters) - a network of pet sitters who hold to the same standards we do - they have a search where you can put in your zip code to find a reputable sitting company that serves your area.

Good luck with your kitties! I think you're a great mom for being concerned about getting the best care for THEM and for planning in advance. I wish some of our clients would do the latter more often!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary