Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2013, 07:23 AM

78 posts, read 226,502 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Let me start off by saying I know I should do this myself via eBay. The reality is that is not going to happen. I don't have the time or patience to do it and the boxes are mocking me at this point.

That being said, does anyone know of a service or seller who could help me with a medium - large PEZ collection? I have all kinds of stuff - ones in bags, on cards, bobbleheads, standalone old ones, print ads, etc.

Thanks so much!

Old 07-19-2013, 07:37 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,532 times
Get a camera, take good pics, and do it yourself is my recommendation. If you want to make it easy on yourself, ebay allows 12 pics per listing, so separate it into a few lots and sell those in bulk for whatever you can get. You can bury costs for packaging materials and insurance in the handling fee.

Anyone selling on ebay will lose 10% - 15% of the total with shipping to fees for ebay and PayPal. Anyone that you pay to sell on your behalf will want another 20%-25% for commission on top of that, and perhaps even half of the proceeds. If you have a large collection, yes, doing all the photos and writeups and and packing and shipping is probably easily worth half or more of the proceeds. If it's a tedious pita for you to do, you can bet that it's 2x the tedious pita to someone who is doing it for you.

Find a collector's forum that has a classifieds section might be another way to unload the whole thing fast, too. But you need good pics to sell anything online.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:29 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I hear you about not wanting to sell on ebay. But how about selling it directly, hopefully in one lot, to another collector? Try making some contacts/inquiries on these sites (some have forums). I've even used the "contact us" function to get advice from folks who run sites like these.

PEZAMANIA - The World's Largest Gathering of PEZ Collectors!

PEZ FAQ v4.0 (specifically, see section 8)

Pez | Collector's Corner

Burlingame Museum of PEZ Memorabilia | New, Vintage and Imported Pez Candy Dispensers (might shoot an email to the curator/owner of this museum and seek his/her advice)

Burlingame Museum of PEZ Memorabilia | New, Vintage and Imported Pez Candy Dispensers (looks like there's a Pez Convention in Myrtle Beach, SC in October!)

Who knew these things were so popular - and from what I can tell, can be quite valuable.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:44 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
If you go onto ebay and go under the "sell" tab at top there is a drop down menu and one option is "sell it for me" and you put in your zip and it gives you people near you who you can take it to and they sell it for you.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:52 AM

273 posts, read 912,099 times
Try an auction house such as the one in Hillsborough, Leland Little,, or the one in Mebane. Their percentage will be less than all of those Ebay fees, no hassle, and items will likely be placed in one of their ephemera or specialty auctions that will draw the right audience. They will pick it up and send you a check. What could be easier? Also if the collection is high enough in estimated value, they may allow you to put a reserve on the lots so that the expensive items don't go for peanuts. Email them and find out.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:58 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
If you go onto ebay and go under the "sell" tab at top there is a drop down menu and one option is "sell it for me" and you put in your zip and it gives you people near you who you can take it to and they sell it for you.
That's interesting. I never noticed that feature (I always sell my own.) I guess ebay actually implements something useful to a seller, even if it is only once in a while.

OP, I forgot to mention that ebay allows you to save a listing and reuse it as a template. That may or may not make it less gruntwork for you to list and sell your own.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:13 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
That's interesting. I never noticed that feature (I always sell my own.) I guess ebay actually implements something useful to a seller, even if it is only once in a while.

OP, I forgot to mention that ebay allows you to save a listing and reuse it as a template. That may or may not make it less gruntwork for you to list and sell your own.
I'm an ebay queen and only just found that myself-not that I'd use it. Ebay and paypal take enough already, but if you don't want to sell yourself, it's a nice option.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 AM

1 posts, read 7,490 times
While selling most things on eBay is not rocket science, selling a large collection of anything takes a lot of work. Most people find that they don't have the time, energy, or expertise to sell large collections themselves. I'm an eBay Top Rated Seller / Powerseller that serves as a local eBay Trading Assistant in the Raleigh / Durham area. My business specializes in selling valuable collectibles. If you'd like to see some of the items that we've sold, please visit our website at Trader Chris Consignments, which also has a link to our eBay store. Or if you simply have some questions, you can reach me at chris@traderchris.biz.

Hope this helps.

Chris DiGiovanna
President
Trader Chris Consignments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary