Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:49 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Perhaps it might be best to expand your job search to areas that would meet your needs without a long commute.

A move isn't always the best option.
I commute to DC because a move wasn't the best option

Sucks but you do what you have to

Personally I wouldn't want to live in Fayetnam either. Place is a hole!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 06:14 AM

9 posts, read 27,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I commute to DC because a move wasn't the best option

Sucks but you do what you have to

Personally I wouldn't want to live in Fayetnam either. Place is a hole!
Thanks! thats what I was about to say. That job was my best option- it is my dream job just located in the wrong town . Since I spend most of my waking hours on a job, its important that Ienjoy.

You said you commute to DC, where do you commute from?

Old 07-21-2013, 08:10 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,207,522 times
I know you don't want to hear this, but even if you enjoy your job, what would your quality of life be if you spend 3 hours/day in your car. Even if you live in Fuquay-cute town with a quaint downtown with some shops and patio dining too, you would lessen your travel time and then you're still only 30 minutes from Raleigh-something that may be easier to deal with as an occasional commute to shop or what have you, rather than such a long daily commute. Spending that much time in my car would depress me to no end. I enjoy being home too much. It was an adjustment for me to be 25 minutes outside of the city, but it's grown on me. My husband has to drive to Raleigh every day for work-30 minutes each way-and he's already tired of that after only a year. He had a 10 minute commute where we moved from. Travel time is something to seriously consider. If it is just you and there aren't kids that will be missing you, that will make it easier, but....

Old 07-21-2013, 08:27 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Where are you now, Carolinabound? I grew up in Fayetteville, and would not want to work or live there now, but if I had a "dream job" there I would consider living in Fuquay, Holly Springs, or Apex, OR, if was really a great job and I knew I'd want to keep it for several years, I would consider living in Fayetteville. I don't feel unsafe in Fayetteville. There are some bad areas of town, but they're fairly easy to avoid. I just don't find that Fayetteville has as many cultural offerings as the Triangle has. The Triangle has three great universities that bring in many wonderful offerings. I wouldn't consider living in Raleigh and working in Fayetteville. It's just too far for me. I have several friends I went to high school with in Fayetteville who are raising their families in the Fayetteville area and love it. It's just not for me.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinabound! View Post
Thanks! thats what I was about to say. That job was my best option- it is my dream job just located in the wrong town . Since I spend most of my waking hours on a job, its important that Ienjoy.

You said you commute to DC, where do you commute from?
I live in Raleigh

Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 AM

9 posts, read 27,311 times
I'm currently in west end area of Henrico va( surburbs of Richmond) before that I lived for several years in a safe Southern California area. I'm now done with all my education and ready to settle down, after an extensive search, I landed my dream job in my field which just happens to be in Fayettville . I'm hoping to keep this job for at least a few years if not more, but the thought of living in Fayetteville for that long is almost unbearable.

How long will the Apex to Fayetteville take ?

Wheelsup, do you make Raleigh to DC commute on a daily basis? Do you drive or take public transportation ? If you drive, any survival tactics/ advice that you care to pass on? Thanks in advance

Old 07-21-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinabound! View Post
I'm currently in west end area of Henrico va( surburbs of Richmond) before that I lived for several years in a safe Southern California area. I'm now done with all my education and ready to settle down, after an extensive search, I landed my dream job in my field which just happens to be in Fayettville . I'm hoping to keep this job for at least a few years if not more, but the thought of living in Fayetteville for that long is almost unbearable.

How long will the Apex to Fayetteville take ?

Wheelsup, do you make Raleigh to DC commute on a daily basis? Do you drive or take public transportation ? If you drive, any survival tactics/ advice that you care to pass on? Thanks in advance
No that would be crazy. I just hop on a flight. Once a week.

I know people who drive 3 hours to Norfolk. That would be tough but do-able when you're only doing it once a week. Roughly equivalent to a 40 min commute each way 5x a week.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Have you visited Fayetteville? I wouldn't write off living there w/o a visit. It's not for me, but I know many people who are quite happy to call it home. It's the 6th largest city in the state w/ a population over 200,000. It's a military town so shares some similarities to Newport News/Norfolk area w/o the ocean. Plenty of Starbucks and other places of that ilk. There are also some nice local places like the Mash House brewpub. I really have never worried overly about crime when I'm in Fayetteville. It's just kinda boring for me.

Apex, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs would probably be similar to where you are now, but a case can be made for Raleigh being more vibrant than Richmond (there's a thread elsewhere on this board dealing w/ that), so you would be in close proximity to all Raleigh and the Triangle has to offer. I know that there are quite a few military families that live in the Fuquay, Holly Springs area so one spouse can commute to Ft Bragg and the other can work in Raleigh.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Have you visited Fayetteville? I wouldn't write off living there w/o a visit. It's not for me, but I know many people who are quite happy to call it home. It's the 6th largest city in the state w/ a population over 200,000. It's a military town so shares some similarities to Newport News/Norfolk area w/o the ocean. Plenty of Starbucks and other places of that ilk. There are also some nice local places like the Mash House brewpub. I really have never worried overly about crime when I'm in Fayetteville. It's just kinda boring for me.

Apex, Fuquay-Varina, Holly Springs would probably be similar to where you are now, but a case can be made for Raleigh being more vibrant than Richmond (there's a thread elsewhere on this board dealing w/ that), so you would be in close proximity to all Raleigh and the Triangle has to offer. I know that there are quite a few military families that live in the Fuquay, Holly Springs area so one spouse can commute to Ft Bragg and the other can work in Raleigh.
Fayetteville is in no way, shape, or form similar to Norfolk or Newport News. I've lived in that area and (unfortunately) have to visit Fayetteville often and no, I'm sorry, Fayetteville is, and I can't say the phrase I would like, but "back country" would fit.

There are definitely rough areas of Newport News and Norfolk but comparing Fayetteville to that area, LOL.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:08 AM

I said "shares some similarities" not that Fayetteville was just like Newport News/Norfolk. Both have a big military presence — that was what I was referring to, although the military presence may be stronger in Fayetteville, but I think not in the area the OP will be working.

In the OP's other thread in the NC forum she said
Quote:
"I'm asking because after reading all about the crimes and robberies and violence that abound in Fayetteville, I became really scared for my family's life. I am not used to living is such a violent place. I am someone who enjoy extracurricular activities in whatever town or city I reside; activities such as movies, parks, dining, shopping, bowling etc and my kids are also in a lot of activities and I don't want a situation where the city we live is so dangerous that even if we live in a "safe" corner of town, my life will be restricted to that small corner because of fear of becoming a victim of violence. At the same time, I do need some degree of excitement meaning I cannot see myself living deep in the country or any city without say a Starbucks - just because I want to be safe. "
I think all of that is just unfounded w/ regard to Fayetteville. It may not be culturally stimulating, but I don't think you need to fear for your life or hole up in one corner of the city and there's not a shortage of Starbucks and other coffee shops. Plenty of movies, parks, restaurants, shopping (even though Raleigh and Durham may have better), bowling, kids' activities. If those are the OP's main concerns, that's nothing to worry about. If the OP wants to live somewhere with more going on culturally (more art/music/theater/dance, etc) then the Triangle is a better choice, but Fayetteville is not bereft of movie theaters or Starbucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary