Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 08:37 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,362 times

Advertisements

Can someone suggest which greenway is good( all of them are, but just trying to find more about each of them) Tobacco trial, walnut creek greenway, crabtree greenway (i read that some part of crabtree greenway this is on the road shared by cars)...Any other suggestion. I am a recreational biker and prefer to stay away from car traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 AM

4,478 posts, read 11,621,918 times
Crabtree Creek Greenway does have some road crossings and when you do ride on roads they are very quiet neighborhood streets. I don't like to ride my bike on the street either and I think Crabtree is fine. It's also kind of cool with the varying terrain and boardwalks.

They're doing a good job of connecting up the greenways and you can get some pretty lengthy rides in now. I can ride my bike from my house in SW Cary (near Bond Park) all the way to Umstead and beyond without having to ride on streets. I also highly recommend Neuse River Greenway Trail, which opened earlier this year.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,230,595 times
The Neuse River Trail is the longest I think in the county it goes on forever!

Old 08-05-2013, 06:27 PM

11,222 posts, read 8,305,122 times
Use google maps (with biking layer) to figure it out, and connect. But we regularly ride from Cary, through umstead, all the way to the art museum, then accross the bridge over 440, then house creek greenway to Crabtree, all the way into DT Raliegh. Some neighborhoods into Downtown proper, then Cabarrus street down to Pullen park, through centenial campus, back to Merideth, and back to the museum. On the other side of Cary, you can take White Oak all the way to about a mile and a half from ATT, there get on the ATT and all the way into Durham.

That should keep you busy for a while. (and there are many variations to all of this).

I regularly can get 20+ miles of greenway and bikepath just inside Cary, without taking those two routes to Raleigh or Durham. (mostly, just go and explore, I NEVER do the same route twice...)

Old 08-05-2013, 07:50 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
I don't know where you are, but out this way there is the Clayton River Walk on the Neuse which goes on forever-I think all the way to Raleigh

Old 08-06-2013, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
I don't know where you are, but out this way there is the Clayton River Walk on the Neuse which goes on forever-I think all the way to Raleigh
I need to do a Cary to Neuse and back ride, with beer stops in Raleigh at several local brew-pubs.

Anyone up for a CD "velo-social"? Slow, steady pace, 12 mph rolling, nobody gets left behind, but be capable of riding 60-70 miles over the course of the day.

If there is interest, I'd be willing to set something up in September. (We could meet at the Art Museum, to keep it Central and to cut a few miles)

Old 08-06-2013, 08:59 AM

656 posts, read 1,208,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I need to do a Cary to Neuse and back ride, with beer stops in Raleigh at several local brew-pubs.

Anyone up for a CD "velo-social"? Slow, steady pace, 12 mph rolling, nobody gets left behind, but be capable of riding 60-70 miles over the course of the day.

If there is interest, I'd be willing to set something up in September. (We could meet at the Art Museum, to keep it Central and to cut a few miles)
I would be interested, I have done short distance, let me see how a 4 hour ride goes this weekend and i will figure if I can do a 60-70 miles!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:20 AM

311 posts, read 888,016 times
Definitely check out the Neuse River Greenway. It is not completely connected, but the is a sidewalk & stoplight intersection crossing (from WRAL soccer park n Perry Creek rd and across to Louisburg Rd).

Helpful info & pictures:
Neuse River Greenway Trail Photography Web Design Wake Forest grb
Neuse River Greenway Trail - The Official City of Raleigh Portal

Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,774 times
Thank you for sticking to the greenways. For some reason, many cyclists insist on biking on a major road near here, although there are many, many less-traveled byways about.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkCanWrite View Post
Thank you for sticking to the greenways. For some reason, many cyclists insist on biking on a major road near here, although there are many, many less-traveled byways about.
Sometimes a person needs to get somewhere on a bike, or they just want to do a "real" ride. I stay off the roads more and more often due to people like you, with the attitude that their rights trump others. But the fact is that unless it's a limited access highway, then bikes have a right to be on the road, and actually enjoy right of way over cars. (and don't even start with the comments about the A-holes who take up the whole lane. That's not me, and I don't agree with people that do it, except in short, limited instances for safety. But there's many more A-hole drivers than bikers, so deal with the A-holes, and don't hate on people who use different transportation (or recreation, or excercise) than you....)

But you're welcome. I'd MUCH rather ride my bike in the woods, and get away from it all, and only have to worry about my own skills, rather than some self-entitled driver in a car 10x my weight. If not the woods, then a greenway, and if not that, than some country road where I can relax and get some peace.

(and I hate I replied to this.... Shoulda let it go)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary