Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:29 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times

Advertisements

Ok, I feel like my water is high then. I know i"m not in Durham, but 35/month=70/bi-monthly and we pay 100.00/month here in Clayton, which includes 19-20 for trash & recycling, so that's still 80/month and we don't water our lawn. Seems like a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 08:17 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyesnow View Post
Ok, I feel like my water is high then. I know i"m not in Durham, but 35/month=70/bi-monthly and we pay 100.00/month here in Clayton, which includes 19-20 for trash & recycling, so that's still 80/month and we don't water our lawn. Seems like a big difference.
During the drought we learned that Durham was in the lowest decile (bottom 10%) for water rates among all NC cities.

Folks complain about their bills but I think we get a great value with our water/sewer. Oh, and trash and recycling is in the property tax rates.

OOC, is your water public utility or a private-sector provider like Aqua NC? Aqua and its ilk are notorious for much higher rates and I would also be more skeptical on quality. We pay almost $40/month to Utilities Inc. for a private water system at our vacation house out near Mt. Mitchell that we use 3-4 days a month! Ridiculous.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
I dont see where it says 'most' are bi-monthly. Ours switched to monthly a few months ago. I called and asked at Durham One Call and they said everyones will be switching in phases...
I looked at that page again, and it actually says that all residential meters are read and billed bi-monthly. My mistake.

This is the first I've heard of any plans to transition to monthly billing. I'll have to check into that!

Old 08-19-2013, 09:24 AM

843 posts, read 2,100,988 times
No it doesnt. It says this...cut and pasted:

For meters/accounts read and billed monthly,
payments are due 21 days after the billing date
on your statement. If the amount due is not paid
within 21 days, late charges of 1 percent will
accrue on the unpaid balance. Once your next
bill is sent, both bills are due by the date
indicated on that bill. If billed charges have
not been paid within 40 days, service will be
disconnected for non-payment and a penalty
charge will be added to your account. Water
service will not be restored until all charges
are paid.

For meters/accounts read and billed bi-monthly, payments are due 21 days after the billing date on your statement. If the amount due is not paid within 21 days, a letter is sent as a reminder that the payment has not been received. You will be given 10 days to pay the bill. If the amount due is not paid within the 10-day period, a letter of intent to disconnect will be mailed with a disconnection date on the letter. If charges have not been paid by the disconnect date, your service will be disconnected for non-payment and a penalty charge will be added to your account. Water service will not be restored until all charges are paid.

EDIT: I also just called Durham One Call again and was told again that everyone will be moving to monthly bills eventually...

Last edited by ncmickey; 08-19-2013 at 09:40 AM..

Old 08-19-2013, 12:35 PM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times
Read the paragraph above the ones you cut and pasted:

Quote:
Bills are typically processed the next business day after the water meter is read. Commercial, industrial and institutional meters, which are 1.5 inches or larger, are read on a monthly basis. Residential and small business meters, which 1 inch or smaller, are read bi-monthly (every two months).
Not arguing with you regarding the monthly billing thing, but I'm just saying that I have not heard a word about it and that the city website has no information about such a transition. I appreciate the fact that you confirmed with the city that it would be taking place eventually.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:46 PM

797 posts, read 3,580,982 times
I am in durham and my water bill is monthly and it is almost $80 a month now. It is so freaking expensive.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:56 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times
Someone I know lives in Northern Durham off Guess Rd & has Aqua America. They are to have a 19% rate increase. Aqua NC Files For Another Rate Increase | WUNC

Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM

5 posts, read 8,366 times
I just moved to Durham and they told me it would be every month, but I guess I will see when I get my first bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary