Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 02:23 PM

6 posts, read 8,383 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I wondered if there is anyone on this site who is a resident of the Davis Park condos (on Davis Drive) in RTP/Durham. My mom is buying one of the new condos (slated to be completed by the end of January 2014). It seems as if the condo is going to be fabulous and she is very excited. How is the neighborhood? Are the neighbors friendly? What's the demographics of the people there? My mom is in her mid 50's so it would be great if there were others there that were around her age. This condo building will have elevator access, so it is right up her alley.

However, her only concern is the lack of stores (specifically grocery stores) nearby. If you live in this area, have you found the lack of nearby stores to be a big inconvenience? Do you like the area? Dislike it? How is the HOA? I know how difficult (and sometimes useless) HOA's can be. How is the HOA at Davis Park? Are they on top of issues (and what have those issues been)? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I just want to be sure that this is a great fit for her. Any feedback that you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 02:31 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,658,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleagle03 View Post
If you live in this area, have you found the lack of nearby stores to be a big inconvenience? Do you like the area? Dislike it?

Yes, very much so. The closest is the Harris Teeter way down Davis off of McCrimmon. Most of the area around RTP caters to that crowd, so unfortunately that whole area is a ghost town at night and on the weekends. The good thing is, it's a reasonably short and easy drive from there over to Southpoint Mall or to other points in Cary or Apex.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:32 PM

9,145 posts, read 14,768,819 times
It's not too far of a drive, but the stores are a bit away. There are plans for a shopping area and they were including a grocery (Harris Teeter iirc) at the intersection of Davis and Hopson a few years back, when they first started Davis Park. They needed to have a certain amount of housing close by so it was always more longer term and with the Davis Park plans being temporarily derailed like all the rest of housing, it's further out I'm sure. But, this was when Keystone crossing was just getting started and 3 years before the new apartments at Miami and Hopson we're started, so there is definite movement in the right direction, if they are still planning to do it.

Yes, rush hour traffic is not great, but otherwise, Davis Park is in a terrific location IMO, especially if you want to go to Durham and Chapel Hill as well as Raleigh. Great access to 40 and 540 in multiple directions. Its a very short drive to Brier Creek via Hopson/Page without getting on highways. And given what they want to do with Davis Park and the area immediately around it and the general trend that the Research Triangle Foundation is trying to take RTP there is huge upside potential.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:20 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Absolutely a completely car dependent location. If she's cool with that, I'm sure she will be fine. Hopefully she'll have some nice neighbors. I am not sure if this or isn't a place for an empty nester type crowd.

Old 09-04-2013, 08:29 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,844 times
A big shopping center with Target, H-Teet, movie theater, and a bunch of smaller shops, is under construction at the corner of NC55 & O'Kelly Chapel. That will make amenities much closer at hand for Davis Park residents.

That said, it is surrounded by offices on all sides so it's isolated from other residential areas. That might make me worry about things like rush hour traffic and value in the future.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:40 AM

6 posts, read 8,383 times
Thanks, Everyone! I didn't realize that a shopping center was being built at 55/O'Kelly Chapel. Hopefully, there will be more stores built in the area as it continues to grow. Traffic was another concern, but we've been in that area several times around rush hour and it didn't seem too bad (at least nothing worse than what I'm used to). Does anyone have any HOA info?

Old 09-04-2013, 05:35 PM

766 posts, read 1,658,664 times
I think Davis Park is a really good location. The Harris Teeter shopping center can't be more than 3-4 miles down Davis. Then there's a Food Lion about another mile down with a Walgreens. Across from the Food Lion is a neighborhood Walmart. Plus Hopson is about 1/2 a mile up and that'll take you right to Walmart on Chapel Hill Rd. Maybe I drive fast, because I can get to all these stores in less than 5 minutes.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:03 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,781,759 times
I like this location for many reasons. But, yes, it's not within walking distance of much of anything. There is a master plan for the community with signs up for commercial sales, but I imagine that's still a ways off. Originally, the development was built by one developer, but was adopted by another who are developing/selling it now.

That said, there are issues now cropping up with that property location where many owners have started complaining about the building issues such as electrical, structural water damage issues, etc in the older buildings (with the newer ones apparently based off the same design). I'd bring up questions pertaining to the existing issues. If they are denied, then talk to the local homeowners. It's sounding like many of the buildings are affected, and it could mean future assessments should the homeowner's association be required to cover the cost and insurance doesn't.

Also, Durham has assessed these units at a much higher value than what the people have paid and are paying for it resulting in higher property taxes. I don't think the association will argue any of that, nor know of anyone wanting to dispute it with the city of Durham, but it's clear the values Durham has placed on the properties there are much higher than the current or past selling prices.

Lastly, there's only the amenity there and that's the pool. No workout area, and few barbecues. The condos (exception is the building in the center with underground parking) do not have garages either, so it's first come first serve when it comes to parking. Now that more people are moving in and the place reaches maximum occupancy, there will probably be parking issues that come up sooner than later. Depending on what summer brings, that pool just doesn't appear able to accommodate the population there.

Aside from the building problems I've actually seen (I'd post photos, but I'm hoping the issues will be tended to) and heard about from those living there, it seems quiet for now and many units over good living space and nicely done grounds (the homeowner's dues are higher than most in my opinion, though). I'm sure the new condos they're building will be nice, but if they are a relative duplicate to the other building across the way, I'm guessing problems will exist there too. So, ask before finally closing.

Old 01-26-2014, 06:15 AM

1,521 posts, read 2,765,888 times
Terrific location if you're ok being car dependent. Quick hop to raleigh or Durham airport in minutes, etc. Biggest downside is you are isolated and feel a bit like you're surrounded by empty space, fast food, office buildings, and gas stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary