Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 01:13 PM

2 posts, read 6,828 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are taking a staycation here at home and we're looking for things to do that we haven't done in the 10+ years we've lived here. I've always wanted to know where the quirkiest shops are Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill are. Something like you might find in Savannah, Georgia. I'm talking about the place that has a cashier with dreads and a glass eye; the place you could probably find things like hookah tobacco and Ouija boards; the place that always has lit candles and a "back room" you don't want to visit. Nothing commercialized or that sells things you actually need like clothes or wall afghans. Also not looking for drugs or places with questionable business practices...just something different, quirky, and perhaps the tiniest bit creepy. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:13 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
The Little Leviathan

You could most definitely find a shop like that one in Savannah.

ETA: Here's their FB page. Their web site is just a form. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-L...684856?fref=ts

Last edited by RedZin; 09-30-2013 at 02:30 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 02:15 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
May not be exactly what you're looking for (I think you probably need to go to New Orleans) but here are some ideas:

Hunky Dory, Durham

Great unusual tour at TOPO Distillery, as well as very nice people. No glass eye's that I'm aware of, though.

This book, Weird Carolinas, might give you some ideas.

It also sounds like you might be interested in these sites:

The North Carolina Ghost Guide

North Carolina Tourist Attractions and Oddities Index

Then there's the Carolina Rollergirls RollerDerby, which was about the weirdest thing I've done in awhile.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:24 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
May not be exactly what you're looking for (I think you probably need to go to New Orleans) but here are some ideas:

Hunky Dory, Durham

Great unusual tour at TOPO Distillery, as well as very nice people. No glass eye's that I'm aware of, though.

This book, Weird Carolinas, might give you some ideas.

It also sounds like you might be interested in these sites:

The North Carolina Ghost Guide

North Carolina Tourist Attractions and Oddities Index

Then there's the Carolina Rollergirls RollerDerby, which was about the weirdest thing I've done in awhile.
The Little Leviathan is EXACTLY what the OP asked for. In case you ever wanna go see it for yourself.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:56 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
the little leviathan is exactly what the op asked for. In case you ever wanna go see it for yourself.
i will!

Old 09-30-2013, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,828 times
Thanks, guys! Exactly what we were looking for!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:08 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,461 times
Morgan Imports in Brightleaf, Downtown Durham is pretty amazing. Not exactly what you describe, but a great place to spend a few hours and find all kinds of stuff you never knew you needed until then.

Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,952 times
interesting topic!

Old 09-30-2013, 10:34 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
You might like to check out Cameron's in University Mall in Chapel Hill, soon to be in Carrboro. They're a quirky gift shop with a lot of Archie McPhee type stuff, but then some beautiful jewelry, too. They have an eclectic mix for sure and they do have a secret back room — the shrine room. They're not creepy, though, just funny and quirky.

I think there are probably some other quirky shops in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, too. There used to be a hookah bar on West Franklin, but I think the smoking ban took them out and it's Smoke Rings now, which is a smoke shop. Across and down the street is Hazmat, another smoke shop with maybe a few more other items? I've never been in either.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:50 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Father and Son's Thrift Shop in DT Raleigh:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fathe...33275510048293

(as a bonus to the OP, the casheir there last time had some AWESOME ink, she was pretty beautiful too!)

A few other shops right on the same block too that are unique to Raleigh, but F&S was my first thought. I could spend days in that place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary