Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 09:55 PM

6 posts, read 27,370 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to the Durham/Chapel Hill area in NC and had a few questions I wanted to ask before the move. Feel free to answer only what you can and/or make suggestions.

Is public transportation reliable and safe to ride on?

What are the libraries like? I'm big into books and libraries, so I'm wondering about size, variety of content, if they have study rooms open to the public, how the librarians treat people, the internet connection for laptops, and anything else you can think of.

Lastly, just how prevalent is religion? Is it an everyday aspect, a few times a week, or just on Sundays?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 09:57 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrookedCompass View Post
Chapel Hill and Carrboro have a good bus system.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:25 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,357 times
Quote:
I'm looking to move to the Durham/Chapel Hill area in NC and had a few questions I wanted to ask before the move. Feel free to answer only what you can and/or make suggestions.

What are the libraries like? I'm big into books and libraries, so I'm wondering about size, variety of content, if they have study rooms open to the public, how the librarians treat people, the internet connection for laptops, and anything else you can think of.

Lastly, just how prevalent is religion? Is it an everyday aspect, a few times a week, or just on Sundays?

Thanks in advance for the help.
In general, Durham has crime problems. Ive never ridden the public transportation there though.

NC is in the Bible Belt. Not sure if this is still the case, but many of the campuses had preachers who would yell out Bible verses and preach in the public areas. They would debate the few students that would challenge them on issues like evolution, abortion.. etc.. For many people in NC, religion defines their worldview.

The libraries at UNC-ch and NCSU were great but I'm not sure if you can enter them now without being a student. Security since my time has been stepped up significantly.

Old 10-15-2013, 04:45 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
I was not clear if you will be a student at one of the universities. If not, they have rules about how and when non-students can use the university libraries. Check with the specific schools.

If you were speaking of public libraries, most (or all) have Wi-Fi connections. Durham County has one system, Wake County has another. Chapel Hill has its own city government, and perhaps a separate library system. They all have web sites where you can check for facts about sizes, locations, hours of service, etc.

Old 10-15-2013, 06:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,530 times
Where are you moving from in NH?

Old 10-15-2013, 06:57 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
NC is in the Bible Belt. Not sure if this is still the case, but many of the campuses had preachers who would yell out Bible verses and preach in the public areas. They would debate the few students that would challenge them on issues like evolution, abortion.. etc.
This is true on just about every college campus in every part of the country. It hardly defines the Triangle, North Carolina, the South or the "Bible Belt."

Old 10-15-2013, 07:34 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Public transportation in North Carolina as a whole is abysmal, but there are a few bright spots. Charlotte has made some good progress with public transport and Chapel Hill/Carrboro has a free and frequent city bus system. There are also free buses in downtown Raleigh, the R-Line, and Durham has the free Bull City Connector in downtown Durham. There are non-free buses too and the Triangle Transit Authority buses connect between the major cities in the Triangle. Durham and Chapel Hill are moving toward light rail, but that's several years out. There are a few places in the state that you can get around w/o a car, but most of North Carolina is very car dependent.

Religion in the major cities is not a big deal. It is here if you want it, but not in your face usually. Occasionally the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons will come knock on my door, but my steep driveway and my crazy dogs usually steer them away. In Chapel Hill I get far more knocks on my door from environmental causes than religious organizations. I honestly can't remember the last time someone asked me about church.

I love the newly remodeled and expanded Chapel Hill library. It's fantastic for a city of this small size. According to the town of Chapel Hill website it is the "busiest public library per capita in North Carolina serving approximately 375,000 people annually with an average of 1,085 visitors per day." They are very friendly and there are always people on the computers. They have many study rooms from small 2 person rooms to 6 person to large meeting rooms.

Durham is also a great town. Crime in Durham does happen, but it happens everywhere and in general I think it's a vibrant fun town. Can't speak to the library as I've never been.

Old 10-15-2013, 09:18 AM

835 posts, read 2,878,058 times
I made the move from NH to NC over 5 years ago and have not regretted it. I do miss my daughter who still lives in NH though.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:54 AM

86 posts, read 146,953 times
Four years ago here, and I haven't regretted it for a minute.

Old 10-16-2013, 11:03 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
The Durham Library system has a great selection, but most of the buildings are old. In some sections of town, the librarians have to keep an out out for folks who come into the library when it's air conditioned so they can take a little nap. I don't use the computers there, but have noticed that they don't seem to have the long lines that I was accustomed to seeing when I lived in Mesa, AZ.

I can't speak to Chapel Hill library system or to public transportation in either area (though I hear the CH is quite good for public transport.)

As far as religion? In the 1.5 years we've been here, we've never been invited to a church or been hassled. Maybe it's our vibe - we have no interest in religion, but respect that others believe differently. We've noticed more people in restaurants saying grace than we were used to seeing in AZ. More of our neighbors attend church. But I wouldn't call this area the "Bible Belt" at all. Once you get out of the metro area's, however, things change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary