Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 06:38 AM

9,152 posts, read 14,801,612 times

Advertisements

No story yet, but WRAL just said that Cabella's will be opening a store in Garner in 2015.

Wow, went from no major outdoor stores (other than Dicks Sporting Goods small section) to having all three in a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 07:31 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,173,570 times
That's the way all the big stores work. Don't let your competitor get the sole foothold in any market.

I do think Cabella's probably chose the best location of all of the outdoor stores though. Burying your outdoor store in Cary/Morrisville is just plain bad planning. Those stores need to be on major highways, close to lakes.

Gander Mountain, Bass Pro, Field & Stream, Cabella's

Old 10-24-2013, 07:44 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,331,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
That's the way all the big stores work. Don't let your competitor get the sole foothold in any market.

I do think Cabella's probably chose the best location of all of the outdoor stores though. Burying your outdoor store in Cary/Morrisville is just plain bad planning. Those stores need to be on major highways, close to lakes.

Gander Mtn always seems pretty busy when I'm out at Parkwest. I do agree re: Bass Pro. Odd location.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:14 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,497,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Gander Mtn always seems pretty busy when I'm out at Parkwest. I do agree re: Bass Pro. Odd location.
IMO, Gander is busy because they are the ONLY big outdoors store in the Triangle. As someone who has always lived within a 25 minute drive of both a Gander Mountain or a Cabelas, I can't wait for the Big 2 of the outdoor world to get here. Dicks just doesn't have the selection. Other stores are good as far as gun shops or archery shops, but to an extent, Gander has it all. Gander is also nicer because they are easier to get in and out of if you just need a couple quick items. Cabelas and Bass Pro are awesome due to their big sales, and selection, and are perfect for gearing up for a big trip.

Old 10-24-2013, 08:47 AM

600 posts, read 3,452,314 times
Ever been to the Bass Pro Store in Concord? The crowds are huge. Not a lake in sight, and right beside I-85. The new one will be in Cary. Not a lake in sight, and right beside I-40. Great for locals and for travelers. BPS is a destination for most folks. BPS also has some of the best marketing people on the planet. I'll bet the new store in Cary does a great and consistent business for years to come.

Gander Mountain's major draw is their gun shop / selection. Their fishing section is woefully lacking. Their camping selection is overpriced. Clothing and shoes is adequate. Bass Pro will blow them away on everything except the guns.

Regards,
Streamer1212

NOTE: Somebody will point out that there IS a lake at Bass Pro in Concord. That's not a lake. It's a catch basin.

Old 10-24-2013, 11:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,591,254 times
Why would people assume an outdoor sports department store needs to be near a lake. There isnt a ski slope off Glenwood Avenue but it has Alpine Ski Center. The reason there is a need of outdoor sports centers near suburbia so things can be bought and traveled with.

Cabera's, Bass Pro, Gander carry more than lake items.
Bass Pro is located in #1 shopping destination in the state. It has nothing to do with that catch basin of water nearby that you cant, fish, boat or hunt.

This location for Cabera's in Garner is good news as it will bring 225 jobs. to an area that there is likely more hunters and fishing persons.
Garner is also situated near many Eastern and Piedmont game lands.

Old 10-24-2013, 01:24 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,969,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post

Corner of I-40 and US70 in Garner? Hard to say that's a good location, one of the most congested, backed up parts of the triangle. I know if I-540 gets connected to I-40 south of garner I'll never drive that stretch of road again. Especially if there's a similar spot located right in the middle of where most people live (aka Morrisville). How does the corner of I-40/Harrison qualify as bad planning?

Old 10-24-2013, 01:39 PM

679 posts, read 811,142 times
I had never heard of Cabella's before looking at this thread. I'm always learning something new here!

Old 10-24-2013, 05:50 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,033,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Corner of I-40 and US70 in Garner? Hard to say that's a good location, one of the most congested, backed up parts of the triangle. I know if I-540 gets connected to I-40 south of garner I'll never drive that stretch of road again. Especially if there's a similar spot located right in the middle of where most people live (aka Morrisville). How does the corner of I-40/Harrison qualify as bad planning?
Not sure if I'm talking about the same spot as you, but they're re-doing the whole area between getting off 40 and turning into White Oak for that exact reason... mayhem when trying to switch lanes!

Old 10-25-2013, 05:18 AM

263 posts, read 573,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Corner of I-40 and US70 in Garner? Hard to say that's a good location, one of the most congested, backed up parts of the triangle. I know if I-540 gets connected to I-40 south of garner I'll never drive that stretch of road again.
It's congested and backed up for 1 1/2 hours in the morning rush hour, and another hour in the afternoon rush hour (like most of the Triangle). For the other 21 1/2 hours, I see nothing wrong with that location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary