Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 07:57 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,793,171 times

Advertisements

I guess those who didn't want to pay for the expensive rides were the smart ones!

The accident was on the ride The Vortex which apparently started back up as people were getting off. Two were seriously hurt. Apparently there was a ride mishap in 2002, where a person was killed by being hit by a ride a the fair.

5 people injured in ride mishap at N.C. State Fair

Was anyone there when it happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 08:07 AM

679 posts, read 810,177 times

This is the ride that malfunctioned

Hope everyone is ok!

Old 10-25-2013, 09:03 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times
I told you all last week. I don't do the fair. If I do? I do NOT do the rides.

Ever. I quit that in the 80s. I don't trust something they throw up in a week or two.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:04 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Terrible. I read years ago that even though the State Fair goes from state to state that NC has the most stringent regulations concerning the rides and that they are checked 3 times a day.

So sad for those people.

I do a few of the rides but nothing like that crazy one. All my kids love love love those crazy rides.

Vicki

Old 10-25-2013, 10:06 AM

219 posts, read 483,921 times
That ride scares the bejesus out of me -- I'd never get on it myself or put my kid on it. And I'll probably never understand why anyone would willingly want to experience that. (<--- not a rider of rides)

Still, my son (8y) so looks forward to the Fair every year ... but I try to keep him on the kiddie rides as much as I can. At least they're slower and closer to the ground.

I wonder if in this situation, the operator somehow tripped the switch back on? The ride won't start up by itself. It had to have been human error. Eeeek. I feel awful for the people who were injured.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:19 AM

22,671 posts, read 36,804,509 times
I just heard on the news that the safety switch was broken and they had replaced it.

Honestly, if a safety switch breaks, the ride just needs to be taken out of service. Or, people should be made aware that there was a fix on the midway.

We didn't go this year and aren't going....gonna be too cold tomorrow morning and no time on Sunday. And that's that!

It was the lead story on the Today Show this morning.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:45 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon12 View Post
This is the ride that malfunctioned
I got nauseous just watching the video, and I hadn't even eaten a deep fried chili-cheese-slaw dog beforehand.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:56 AM

8 posts, read 11,827 times
I actually thought about going on the ride last night, but changed my mind (thankfully!). This happened right after my husband and I left this section. So very glad I didn't ride it!

Old 10-25-2013, 11:24 AM

679 posts, read 810,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I got nauseous just watching the video, and I hadn't even eaten a deep fried chili-cheese-slaw dog beforehand.
When I first started watching the video, I thought, oh this looks nice, no big deal, not too fast, minor spinning. Then it started going upside down and spinning around while upside down, and I thought nope, never gonna get me on that! I couldn't even finish watching the video.

A deep fried chili-cheese-slaw dog? That sounds delicious (but minus the slaw for me)!

Old 10-25-2013, 12:56 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
I feel terrible for the persons injured and those that witnessed. I am praying that the injuries aren't life limiting or life threatening. My heart goes out to the injured and their families.

One of the news showed a press conference where the State Fair person was visibly upset. Hopefully the investigation will be fully done and will determine the cause.

I am very impressed with how quickly EMS was on scene and how quickly the injured were assessed and transported. Those involved were clearly trained from initiating the call for help to the investigation that is now taking place. Hopefully that level of coordination made national news as well.

Nice to see it all working according to plan & training, but sad to see that such an event took place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary