Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 1,656 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I am searching for advice on recommended areas to consider when purchasing a property within the Triangle area. Mainly I work outside the office, so being within 20-30 miles of RDU airport will be good. I am partial to single family homes, but a town-home will be my second option. Up to 200k for property price. Third would be an area with shops and restaurants nearby (walking trails would be nice). Since I am single and over 40 (no children) schools are not relevant. I'm just looking for a nice area to enjoy when I am back home.

So far these are few of the areas I am considering (please feel free to comment):
1. Brier Creek
2. Morrisville
3. Cary
4. Southpoint area - Durham

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 08:55 AM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
I'd go with Brier Creek if you need access to the airport. Plenty to do nearby.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:04 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
At your price, you'll mostly be finding townhomes. Better deals may exist in Durham if you really prefer single family.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:29 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
Since you'd like to be close to shops, etc., I'd recommend some of the larger neighborhoods like Bedford (North Raleigh) or Heritage (Wake Forest). In those desirable neighborhood, you'll most likely find townhomes.

Alexander Place in Brier Creek would give you close by shopping.

Townhomes near Ebenezer Church Road, like Camden Place, Cornerstone will put you within walking distance of some shopping.

Single family homes near shopping would be around Durant Road, Durant Trails and Durant Trace (North Raleigh).

Park Village (Cary) would get you a single family home with walking trails.

There are plenty of townhomes closer to the airport (Morrisville, West Cary) like Providence Place (townhomes).

Stonewater (Cary/Morrisville area) has some brand new townhomes that are now $199,000. They just reduced a few, otherwise, they are over $200,000.

There really is a lot in your price range. It comes down to which area you'd prefer and if you'd prefer a brand new townhome or an older single family home. You'll have choices, which will also include the area around Southpoint.

Vicki

Old 11-03-2013, 09:34 AM

I would not advise a single person who is new to the area and wants to be near things to move out to North Raleigh/Wake Forest. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I would not advise a single person who is new to the area and wants to be near things to move out to North Raleigh/Wake Forest. Just my 2 cents.
Why?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
Why?
Well, first off, he wants to be no more than 20-30 minutes from the airport.

Sounds like he flies out frequently. Why not live close to the airport and closer to the center of activities in the area for when he's home?

Old 11-03-2013, 09:55 AM

Are you familiar with the area around Ebenezer Church Road? It is 2 exits from the airport and 4 miles from 540.

I live closer to Strickland Road and I get to the airport in 15 minutes.

To get to the airport from Durant Road (540 is a few minutes away) is 3 exits away and takes about 20 minutes.

To get to the airport from Wake Forest takes about 20 to 30 minutes, depending on which part of WF you are in.

Downtown from these areas would be about 20 to 25 minutes.

I will agree that if the OP's ONLY interest is to be close to the airport, then the Morrisville/West Cary area is closest. But...for many reasons, the North Raleigh and Wake Forest area would be worth looking at.

Sometimes people's perspective isn't always accurate. I've had many people move to Wake Forest that work in RTP. Many of them say they get there in less than 25 minutes. The airport would be 20 minutes. Capital Blvd. is not the only access in and out of Wake Forest. Opinions vary and sometimes if you don't know an area that well, those opinions are not 100% accurate.

I recently had clients that were 100% set on Apex. But...they wanted to see other areas. They ended up in Wake Forest.

Once people actually come to visit, they realize we all have our opinions. Not all are accurate. But...each individual is different and will eventually make their own decisions.

Vicki

Old 11-03-2013, 10:34 AM

637 posts, read 1,058,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Well, first off, he wants to be no more than 20-30 minutes from the airport.

Sounds like he flies out frequently. Why not live close to the airport and closer to the center of activities in the area for when he's home?
With the exception of perhaps a few odd areas, most of North Raleigh is 12-15 minutes tops to RDU airport thanks to 540, or about same to downtown Raleigh. Wake Forest might be a slightly different story depending on where exactly, because you have to come down US 1 to get on 540 (add 10-20 minutes depending on exact location and time of day).

Where do you consider the "center of activities" around here? North Raleigh is convenient to everything. I can get to Brier Creek, Southpoint area, etc. very quickly.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post
With the exception of perhaps a few odd areas, most of North Raleigh is 12-15 minutes tops to RDU airport thanks to 540, or about same to downtown Raleigh. Wake Forest might be a slightly different story depending on where exactly, because you have to come down US 1 to get on 540 (add 10-20 minutes depending on exact location and time of day).

Where do you consider the "center of activities" around here? North Raleigh is convenient to everything. I can get to Brier Creek, Southpoint area, etc. very quickly.
I scanned Vicki's original post. I would not want to drive from Bedford or Heritage (especially Heritage) on a regular basis. Too unpredictable if you need to catch a flight. Maybe I'm spoiled, but the airport is less than 10 minutes away from my house.

I used to live in Wakefield. Once accident can put you late when you drive from farther out all the time. It's just reality.

I agree that NW Raleigh is quite convenient, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary