Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:18 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by initiald View Post
Raleigh only averages a total of 7.7 inches of snow per year.
That sounds like a lot! Many years, we don't get one snowflake!

Some years we get a day with an inch of snow and the next day, the sun melts it. All gone!

We don't own a snow shovel!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 PM

2,625 posts, read 4,012,658 times
Thanks all - very helpful. The weather actually sounds great.

How do your summers compare to Charleston, SC summers? As hot and humid?

Someone told me they call their summers "the back doors of H***". Hoping NC summers are not quite that bad?

I don't mind so much as there is A/C everywhere, but we have a dog, so have to be out some to walk her during the day.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:22 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,539,177 times
Winter in the RTP is just a passing phase. First it starts late, even Christmas you see shorts. Sure there will be cold days that do not reach 45F, but they are few and far between followed by days that reach 60+ and by 15Feb, it is all over

Old 11-14-2013, 02:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macalan View Post
Thanks all - very helpful. The weather actually sounds great.

How do your summers compare to Charleston, SC summers? As hot and humid?

Someone told me they call their summers "the back doors of H***". Hoping NC summers are not quite that bad?

I don't mind so much as there is A/C everywhere, but we have a dog, so have to be out some to walk her during the day.
Summers here are very similar to summers in SC. Hot and humid.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:31 PM

43,313 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Summers here are very similar to summers in SC. Hot and humid.
Yeah, they are.
But I have never seen so many dogs in my life. They seem to manage quite well.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:37 PM

2,863 posts, read 4,679,477 times
I lived in Columbia SC for 4 years and felt it was a lot hotter than here. Not only in daily high temps but the duration of the heat. It started earlier in the day and lasted longer into the night. Weather.com shows that Charleston is on average 5 degrees warmer. I believe that.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:34 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,539,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
I lived in Columbia SC for 4 years and felt it was a lot hotter than here. Not only in daily high temps but the duration of the heat. It started earlier in the day and lasted longer into the night. Weather.com shows that Charleston is on average 5 degrees warmer. I believe that.
Columbia is hotter than RTP. I agree.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:24 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
You can look up the annual climate for Raleigh, Cary, Durham etc on any weather channel map, but here is City-Data's page on Raleigh, which has climate graphs about 20% of the way down, showing avg highs and lows for the year, plus precipitation, etc.

We do get snowfalls virtually every winter, but generally under 6 inches. The summer heat/humidity is what people from the North sometimes find unbearable. This week has definitely been freakishly cold (Snow flurries on Nov 13!), but don't judge an area by one week.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:30 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Winter in the RTP is just a passing phase. First it starts late, even Christmas you see shorts. Sure there will be cold days that do not reach 45F, but they are few and far between followed by days that reach 60+ and by 15Feb, it is all over
That's a little wishful thinking. We can definitely have snow in Feb. My daughter's birthday is Feb 12th and we had to cancel a party one year because of snow. You definitely do start to see crocuses blooming and other signs of Spring, but winter is not necessarily all over by Feb 15th. Some years it's not all over in March, either. And some years we hit 90 in March. You just never know. Way back in the Stone Age when I was in college at UNC it SNOWED in mid-April. I was really ready for spring so it made a big impression.

SERCC (SouthEast Regional Climate Center) gives snowfall averages in Raleigh of 0.1, 0.9, 2.8, 2.6, 1.3 for Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and March respectively, so we're much more likely to see snow in Feb and March than we are in December.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:32 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,311,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's a little wishful thinking. We can definitely have snow in Feb. My daughter's birthday is Feb 12th and we had to cancel a party one year because of snow. You definitely do start to see crocuses blooming and other signs of Spring, but winter is not necessarily all over by Feb 15th. Some years it's not all over in March, either. And some years we hit 90 in March. You just never know. Way back in the Stone Age when I was in college at UNC it SNOWED in mid-April. I was really ready for spring so it made a big impression.

SERCC (SouthEast Regional Climate Center) gives snowfall averages in Raleigh of 0.1, 0.9, 2.8, 2.6, 1.3 for Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb and March respectively, so we're much more likely to see snow in Feb and March than we are in December.
Those erratic late frosts that you never know what year they will happen in are the main reason you can't grow certain fruits here unfortunately. Peaches will be great one year, non-existent the next. If you have an orchard with a variety of things in it, you never know what will be in your homemade smoothie from year to year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary