Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 06:39 AM

6 posts, read 7,012 times

Advertisements

I have one day- Sunday November 17th- to convince my husband that we would be happy relocating to Raleigh NC. I figured that we would look at some neighborhoods (older, can walk/bike to restaurants and stores, artsy feel, not suburbs), check out an outdoor activity (a good farmer’s market, hike in a city park), have a nice dinner (local eats- no chains), and maybe catch some music or a play. I’ve read that Oakwood, Mordecai, Boylan Heights might be good neighborhoods for us and am thinking of staying Sunday night at the Oakwood Inn B&B. Does anyone have any suggestions for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 06:48 AM

43,309 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Hayes Barton
Cameron Park
Cameron Village
Glenwood
Georgetown
Five Points
Brooklyn
Devereaux
But, inventory can be scarce and you have to be ready to pounce when homes you like become available.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:50 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,429,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Hayes Barton
Cameron Park
Cameron Village
Glenwood
Georgetown
Five Points
Brooklyn
Devereaux
But, inventory can be scarce and you have to be ready to pounce when homes you like become available.
Concur with the neighborhoods Mike offers up here. As for activities and places to go or eat -

North Carolina Farmer's Market
Go for a hike at Lake Johnson, Lake Lynn, Shelley Lake, or at Umstead

Dining options I'd recommend are:

Irregardless Cafe
Poole's Downtown Diner

Mandolin
The Pit
Coquette

Bella Monica

Margaux's

As for music or a play, Elf: The Musical will be at Duke Energy Center's Memorial Hall and the Raleigh Civic Symphony will be presenting an all-Beethoven concert at Duke Energy Center's Meymandi Concert Hall. Ghost: The Musical will be at the Durham Performing Arts Center and the Chamber Orchestra of the Triangle will be presenting Bulls to Ballrooms at the Carolina Theater in Durham.

Old 11-14-2013, 08:00 AM

Great options- thanks!

Old 11-14-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateowp View Post
Great options- thanks!
No problem - also are you and your husband into beer/wine at all?

Old 11-14-2013, 08:09 AM

Yes- beer more than wine

Old 11-14-2013, 08:17 AM

In that case perhaps a mini brew tour? Here are all the breweries in Raleigh proper (I'm not including ones that are a slight drive away in Durham, Chapel Hill, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, etc although if you are interested send me a PM and I'll give you names/links)

Big Boss Brewing
Boylan Bridge Brewpub
Crank Arm Brewing
Gizmo Brew Works
Lonerider Beer
The Lynnwood Grill
Natty Greene's Pub & Brewing
Raleigh Brewing Company
Sub Noir Brewing
Trophy Brewing

And maybe one of our local bottle shops:

Bottle Revolution
Tasty Beverage Company

Do note that Sub Noir's tasting room is closed on Sundays, but I believe all the rest are open for business.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:41 PM

15 posts, read 45,713 times
don't confine yourself to raleigh, show him how quick it is to get to durham or chapel hill and don't overlook Cary, fuqua varina.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:59 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,890 times
Housing very near downtown close to Mordecai and Oakwood but more for sale inventory. Belvidere park,Woodcrest. Both less then 5 minutes to dwntwn proper or the 440 beltline. Many older renovated homes along Glascock street and College Park. Oakwood North just broke ground with all new construction in the same area. I live in an old mill house that I love and fear being gentrified out of.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:05 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,031,890 times
Sunday brunch is a big thing around Raleigh. Most all the non chain restaurants have it downtown. Buku,Big Ed's,Joule etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary