Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 12:10 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times

Advertisements

My planting garlic bulbs were delivered to my neighbor. I'm glad he doesn't like gardening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2013, 12:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I had a $500 vise dropped off at a neighbors door and I got their Bed Bath & Beyond Box. When I went to give them their box she said yes I have this one (it weighed probably 70#). She couldn't even move it off the door step. Just glad it went to her and not my other neighbor who would have just kept the vise and not told me.

Cameras are great I am going to install one myself but I want an HD camera, not SD. Too low resolution for me.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 PM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
My home security measures are so elaborate that I can't discuss them with the public

But if you want a cheap deterrent idea, get one of those $12 driveway motion sensors and mount it where someone coming to your front porch can see it. Just the little red light going off will make them wonder what other measures you've taken. Also, you can buy signs that indicate you have electronic surveillance etc. on your property that look like the signs from the big alarm companies (unless of course you already have an actual alarm).
There are more advanced systems that will let you program a voice alert, dog barking, etc when a particular sensor goes off, which opens up some creative possibilities but the good ones cost a little more than what I've suggested above.

These are ideas to chase the criminal off before it happens.

A motion sensing camera is great but be sure the intruder can see it and it screams "you're being watched". Getting a photo of them taking your packages is nice to have, but its better if they get nervous and never take them in the first place. After all, what are you going to do with the photo? I'd be surprised the police and news media are going to act on it over front porch thefts.

Ounce of prevention.

Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 PM

635 posts, read 1,616,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Even better was the one where a UPS driver dropped off a package and then a few minutes later came back and took it - all captured on the owner's surveillance camera. The video was widely distributed as you might imagine (and the temporary UPS driver was fired).
Actually, the UPS driver dropped off a package, rang the bell, and then came back and grabbed the FedEx packages that were there that had been previously delivered. Equally egregious.

Old 12-04-2013, 02:54 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
UPS hires a lot of temporary employees during the holidays to help with the load - our UPS driver now has an assistant who runs the packages to the door so he doesn't have to get out of the truck.

so I could see occasional issues cropping up...

I do like the idea of having a camera - we don't currently have one but we did at our old house. We used to have one just so we could see who was at the door rather than hike down two flights of stairs to check when on a conference call...but that was back before they had capture capability built in. Hmmm...for the xmas list.

Old 12-04-2013, 05:52 PM

144 posts, read 468,662 times
tried to reach out to retailers.

frys.com was good saying that they will investigate and then send the replacement.

bestbuy was terrible! taking forever on the phone to talk a human being, then she says bestbuy doesn't care. it is my loss.

I so regret that I bought from bestbuy instead of amazon...

Old 12-04-2013, 06:02 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
Maybe check your credit card sometimes they have extra protection for things like this.

Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,614,607 times
I would try again with Best Buy.. see if you can report the problem via the web rather than trying to talk to a human.

Here is what UPS says:

What can I do if UPS Tracking says that my package is delivered, but I don't have my package?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:54 PM

528 posts, read 934,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspotzsz View Post
tried to reach out to retailers.

frys.com was good saying that they will investigate and then send the replacement.

bestbuy was terrible! taking forever on the phone to talk a human being, then she says bestbuy doesn't care. it is my loss.

I so regret that I bought from bestbuy instead of amazon...
Call the ABC11 TroubleShooter! Or can you dispute with your credit card?

Old 12-05-2013, 12:58 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
There are rings that follow UPS and FedEx trucks through neighborhoods just to steal packages left on porches. Tis' the season to be greedy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary