Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 11:16 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I think what he's saying (because it was my initial thought too) is that anyone from a colder climate doesn't think twice about a brown lawn in the winter. You just don't see green grass in winter - period - in northern climes.

I saw a car today with a bumper sticker that just said "meh" today, LOL.
I have a t-shirt that says "meh."

I bought it about the same time I registered here.

Nah. I totally got what he meant. Having wintered in the Chicago 'burbs I will admit that grass in winter is irrelevant.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:39 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,573,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I have a t-shirt that says "meh."

I bought it about the same time I registered here.

Nah. I totally got what he meant. Having wintered in the Chicago 'burbs I will admit that grass in winter is irrelevant.
And brown is just another color anyway. My wife prefers trees that keep their green year-round and I like the seasonal variety, particularly when everything bounces back in the Spring season. For me, coverage and low maintenance win out over color any day of the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2013, 06:49 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yes. I cut with a rotary mower. No problem at all. I never considered a reel mower.
The only thing is, it grows so uniformly, when it takes off in the early summer, it can get higher than you realize, and can be a thick bugger to cut.
I had zoysia in Honolulu. The moderate weather kept it green all year, but I never mowed it at all. It grew to three inches and stopped uniformly.

Old 12-19-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocharoman View Post
Why does the decision have to be made today? Zoysia can't be installed right now.

I am also a zoysia fan. Who wants brown grass in the summer when everything is so lush and green? We had zenith zoysia is my prior home and it was so soft and thick. The only downside is once established, zoysia is super aggressive and will get into your beds and you will need to edge.
This is true. Zoysia stops at nothing but a solid wall. But on balance, that's a good thing. Putting up a edging is a one-time deal, and much better than overseeding every year.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:25 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,353,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_Lan View Post
Even with watering and milorganite (in summer heat) it's hard to maintain good green. It takes a helluva lot of water to keep it from browning. In winter it turns a mixture of brown,grey and green. Not really pretty. This comes from someone with a very healthy Fescue lawn.
This doesn't match my experience in my homes over the past 25+ years in Raleigh. My lawn is currently quite green, and was green during the summer. I have a wooded lot, which likely helps the grass remain green during the hot summer months. But even when I visit friends whose lots don't have a lot of trees their lawn doesn't turn brown in the summer or winter.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:50 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
I would get rid of grass, too, if it was possible. Big zen rock garden out front?
So far, just the back - hidden behind our fence. I have plans for much of the front to be de-grassified as well.

Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
So far, just the back - hidden behind our fence. I have plans for much of the front to be de-grassified as well.

You have a zen rock garden out back?

Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
My current next-door neighbor is the retired chief landscaper of our city park and zoo. He has a Japanese water garden circling his house that is actually on the county list of tourist attractions. There are often groups of cars parked on the street of people touring his garden.

And I have trouble growing grass.

Old 12-19-2013, 11:40 AM

767 posts, read 1,847,720 times
We are building a new home and the builder puts down Bermuda sod since its a "green" home. I don't like brown grass either, but all you have to do is overseed it with some rye grass in the winter if you don't like it, which is the most beautiful shade of green. No watering required. It dies off in late spring about the same time your Bermuda turns green. That's my plan...

Old 12-19-2013, 11:46 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Quote:
No rocks. Some stacked stone retaining walls, planting beds, and stone dust paths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary