Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2020, 08:39 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times

Advertisements

I couldn't agree more. Summer is the most useless season there is followed by spring.
Bring on fall then winter with an ungodly amount of SNOW!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBonzie View Post
Good riddance to summer. Now STAY AWAY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2020, 10:36 PM

610 posts, read 745,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I'd be perfectly happy with 80s-90s temps every day of the year......

You're in the wrong place. South Florida comes closest to that type of weather.

Sign me, Lived there for 30+ years

Old 09-17-2020, 07:38 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,272,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
FYI, when the 811 utility people come out to mark all utility lines prior to a fence, they may not mark ALL the lines if your neighbors' lines run under your property, and maybe your fence installer will take out your neighbor's internet while digging post holes.

That was bad.

Glad the fence installer didn't dig over an unmarked electric line, though.

USIC did not sent the best employee to mark those lines

Am I remembering, you were the one who was putting up a fence to keep neighbors off your property?

This is good information. I had my utilities marked when we moved in but I didn't realize until recently that they didn't mark the water lines.

I'm having a new fence replaced sometime soon, but I'm hoping they can retain the existing post holes to avoid issues like that.

Old 09-17-2020, 08:10 AM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,721,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenie72 View Post

Am I remembering, you were the one who was putting up a fence to keep neighbors off your property?

This is good information. I had my utilities marked when we moved in but I didn't realize until recently that they didn't mark the water lines.

I'm having a new fence replaced sometime soon, but I'm hoping they can retain the existing post holes to avoid issues like that.
They usually don't mark water lines fwiw. Water lines are usually buried quite a bit deeper anyways, same with sewer. Every time I've used 811 they'll mark water + sewer just at the street where it enters my property but that's basically it.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
They usually don't mark water lines fwiw. Water lines are usually buried quite a bit deeper anyways, same with sewer. Every time I've used 811 they'll mark water + sewer just at the street where it enters my property but that's basically it.

Yes, that's pretty much what happened. I was so concerned with the lines going under my driveway etc that I didn't think to actually find the water line.

I was considering paying someone to track the water lines because I'm thinking about digging down about 6" or so for a rain garden.

My gas line is in a spot that has me concerned also, right between two fence gate posts. If we can't use the same holes, I'm just going to have them put the gate somewhere else. That makes me quite nervous.

Old 09-17-2020, 10:34 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:

Yeah that's me, but I needed to replace an existing fence that was falling apart, and I was expanding it a bit into the rest of my yard. I ended up only expanding it a few feet and will just do some landscaping back there.

We needed some new post holes so there were the cables...awful. Felt terrible for my neighbor but gave her my wifi password. Really glad the installer wasn't electrocuted! I complained to 811 and will to the contractor who marks them (USIC).

Old 09-17-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Yeah that's me, but I needed to replace an existing fence that was falling apart, and I was expanding it a bit into the rest of my yard. I ended up only expanding it a few feet and will just do some landscaping back there.

We needed some new post holes so there were the cables...awful. Felt terrible for my neighbor but gave her my wifi password. Really glad the installer wasn't electrocuted! I complained to 811 and will to the contractor who marks them (USIC).

Oh wow, that stinks. That's nice of you to offer your wifi, I hope they took you up on it.

They put some kind of legalese into the locations to cover their butts too, I bet? I believe it's something like 'The actual line could be 12 inches in either direction'.

My first house had all overhead wires which were ugly, and prone to damage in storms, but it I could dig wherever I wanted (in nice soft soil, no clay) so I kind of miss that! Probably the only thing I miss.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:18 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,593,295 times
Quote:
They put some kind of legalese into the locations to cover their butts too, I bet? I believe it's something like 'The actual line could be 12 inches in either direction'.
Good question! I didn't get any sort of report, they just marked the lines - but the utility companies hire them, so maybe they did get some legalese.

Yeah I'm grateful for the buried lines during storms, I rarely have a power outage unless a tree falls on the main line outside of the development (has happened).

Old 09-21-2020, 08:01 AM

826 posts, read 244,078 times
My random thought is Cam looks great and if he can focus a little less on his ridiculous hair and showboating, he could go deep into the playoffs. How come we can't get a QB like that?

Old 09-21-2020, 03:38 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,868,871 times
Huh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary