Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 03:31 PM

23 posts, read 31,462 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

My husband and I are considering moving to Raleigh and will be making a 4-day trip to check out the area in two weeks. I'd appreciate a few pointers as to where I should narrow my search. We're not ready to look at specific houses yet but we do want to check out areas that would have the kind of houses we'd consider buying (or even building).

My husband's job will be in downtown Raleigh and he is fine with a commute under half an hour, although 20 minutes or less would really be ideal. I'm hoping for a decent sized property of at least an acre, but 1.5 or more would be even better. We want a 4 bedroom house eventually. I would love to be able to build a new home on a lot somewhere but in my searching I haven't really come across any new developments that have lots of this size. Am I missing anything? Our budget is around $350K.

I found a house that looked amazing and was on a nice lot in Garner, but I guess that area isn't exactly desirable according to many folks on here? The schools didn't look so great either, mostly ratings of 5-7 out of 10. We have a toddler and another on the way so good schools are a factor.

On my list of places to explore so far are Holly Springs, Apex, Fuquay Varina, Cary, North Raleigh, and Garner.

We currently live in Boca Raton in South Florida and I'd love to live somewhere more "nature-y" and with a small town, friendly vibe. Bonus points for some place with a southern feel to it! Someone please help me escape South Florida!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2014, 04:00 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
I think the combination of 1 acre + $350k budget + New Construction + 30 minutes of downtown Raleigh would point you towards Clayton. I did a quick search and it had some results for that criteria.

Old 01-08-2014, 04:28 PM

23 posts, read 31,462 times
Thanks for the suggestion!

Can anyone tell me anything about Clayton? I haven't read too much about it other than it's in Johnston County and I believe there are lower taxes?

Old 01-08-2014, 04:49 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla_diyer View Post
Thanks for the suggestion!

Can anyone tell me anything about Clayton? I haven't read too much about it other than it's in Johnston County and I believe there are lower taxes?

It is in JoCo, but I think the taxes may be higher than in some other areas of the Triangle.

Old 01-08-2014, 05:07 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
The taxes in Clayton are higher than in Raleigh, but certainly are not high by most standards (1.3 per $100 of assessed valuation). That is definitely a good area for you to consider given your requirements. You should also consider the section of Garner that is in Johnston County.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:06 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,847 times
northern Wake county just north of Hwy.98 would probably be your best bet as far as meeting your criteria and future return on investment.

Old 01-08-2014, 06:52 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,352,399 times
You can find 1+ acres near Hwy 98 in Wake County, but I'm not sure you will come close to the $350K target for the OP. Maybe east of US-1?

Old 01-08-2014, 07:56 PM

2,442 posts, read 2,866,823 times
If the OP will be working in downtown Raleigh I think the commute from northern Wake County would exceed 30 minutes.

Old 01-08-2014, 08:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
If the OP will be working in downtown Raleigh I think the commute from northern Wake County would exceed 30 minutes.
Yes, I was going to say that. I live closer in than where was mentioned and my commute to downtown Raleigh is usually about 35 minutes outside of typical Rush Hour...and that area north of 98 will only grow and traffic will only get worse.

Old 01-09-2014, 07:26 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
Yes, you are after the holy grail of Triangle real estate - new construction, large lot, elite schools, 20 minutes to Raleigh, all for under 350K. You may have to compromise on large lot vs. new construction as these two don't often go together, unless you go out a ways (or pay $$$$).

You could look at the area around Ten Ten Rd. and HWY 401, about halfway between FV and Garner. A lot of this area feeds into Banks Rd Elementary and Willow Springs Elementary, and in turn Holly Grove Middle (all 9 on GS FWIW). 10 - 15 minutes to downtown Raleigh, figure double that at peak hour.

Something like this:
https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=S...sz=12&t=m&z=12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary