Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 10:27 AM

311 posts, read 887,645 times

Advertisements

My oldest will be going to kindergarten for the 2014-15 school year (so hard to type that out!). We are zoned for Forest Pines with a choice of N. Forest Pines & Wakefield for year round options. Does anyone want to offer their first hand experience with kindergarten at Forest Pines and/or North Forest Pines? Most of my neighbors seem to go to North Forest Pines & seem to look down at Forest Pines without any real explanation. Many thanks for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2014, 06:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
The only difference between the two is Forest Pines is traditional calendar while North Forest Pines is on a year-round calendar. (That's right, folks. 2 elementary schools side by side just to accommodate.) Only reason I can think of why your neighbors are looking down on Forest Pines is they simply are unfamiliar with the school and most people want others to think their choice is the best.

I can't speak for Forest Pines but I can for NFP. I absolutely love the staff at NFP. The principal is doing a fantastic job and so far have been blessed with great teachers. And I love the year-round calendar as well. Not saying it's the best but it's what works for my family. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:06 AM

311 posts, read 887,645 times
Thanks for the personal recommendation underPSI, I appreciate it! I'm taking the paperwork to Forest Pines soon and then I'll have to decide if we stay or go to NFP (or if we "win" the lottery for Endeavor).

I am torn on the year round calendar since I also have another one who will be in preschool (traditional schedule). I'm also concerned that they won't be on the same track once they both are in school. I have heard of families that have children on different calendars and it sounds like a nightmare!

Old 01-16-2014, 03:37 PM

494 posts, read 816,049 times
Of those three schools, North Forest Pines is your best bet. Your children will be assigned the same track if they both go to the same school. One difference is that North Forest Pines offers science and technology as specials where FP and Wakefield just have PE, Media, Art and Music. At one point FP offered Spanish but I believe that was cut.

Forest Pines and Wakefield are also Title 1 schools.

I don't know much about the Charter school except a few teachers there and a former teacher of NFP started that charter school.

If you can, you could arrange to tour the schools to help make your decision.

Old 06-05-2014, 10:30 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,043,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbeckster View Post
Of those three schools, North Forest Pines is your best bet. Your children will be assigned the same track if they both go to the same school. One difference is that North Forest Pines offers science and technology as specials where FP and Wakefield just have PE, Media, Art and Music. At one point FP offered Spanish but I believe that was cut.

Forest Pines and Wakefield are also Title 1 schools.

I don't know much about the Charter school except a few teachers there and a former teacher of NFP started that charter school.

If you can, you could arrange to tour the schools to help make your decision.
I realize this is an older post, but just happened to stumble upon it. In case anybody is still looking for info on these schools, I wanted to correct a statement made in the post that I quoted. I have two children at Forest Pines (the traditional calendar) and it DOES have both science and technology as specials. They've always (well, for the past four years) had technology, and this year they also do science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary