Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2014, 06:55 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,264,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratay View Post
Thanks for the replies. I've looked a little on Zillow and I'm worried that Cary may be too "cookie cutter" for us. Any thoughts about south Durham or Morrisville? Are there diverse, safe areas where the houses don't all look like carbon copies of one another? We also don't really like HOA's. I'm not sure if they are common in Cary/Apex, but seems like it might be.
If you think Cary is "cookie cutter" you're gonna think Morrisville and South Durham are, too.

Most neighborhoods here have some sort of HOA.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:47 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,872,448 times
Yep, most areas in the greater triangle have "Cookie Cutter" homes and also have non HOA communities. You will find the same in South Durham and Morrisville. Cary is a great place for families. Right now homes there are in great demand and selling fast - so I was recently told by a realtor. I understand they are seeing multiple offers on homes and even outbidding.

Anyhow, depending on where in Cary your hubby will work, you could also look at homes in South and West Raleigh as well as inside the beltline (440) - an area searchable on local homes sites. Another area is around Ebenezer Church Rd, Blue Ridge Rd areas. There you will find older homes on nice sized lots that are non HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 05:03 AM

498 posts, read 854,357 times
Check out Carpenter Village in Cary. We do have an HOA, but that gets you a lot of social events like Friday summer concerts and the Easter Egg Hunt. Our houses are not terribly cookie cutter (much less so than many neighborhoods). The Western Wake Farmers Market is here every Saturday and we are within easy walking distance to the West Wake Library and Carpenter Elementary. The Town of Cary should be starting a decent park right at the edge of Carpenter Village this year. The location is very convenient to Downtown Apex and convenient to Durham, Chapel Hill, and Southpoint Mall. Also, it's practically a rule that every house have at east one toddler, so you'd fit in there, for sure!

Old 02-01-2014, 06:55 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
One of the real estate agents or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the state passed regulations (maybe in the mid 80s?) that state that any new development over 20 homes is required to have a HOA. So if not having a HOA is really important to you, you'll need to look at older homes or homes outside of a big development.

Old 02-01-2014, 07:11 AM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
One of the real estate agents or someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the state passed regulations (maybe in the mid 80s?) that state that any new development over 20 homes is required to have a HOA. So if not having a HOA is really important to you, you'll need to look at older homes or homes outside of a big development.
HOAs are not a specific requirement, per se.

Development regs specify that in subdivisions platted after 1995(?), an entity or person must be named responsible for maintenance of any common areas.
Fast Forward, and modern subdivisions routinely require stormwater BMPs, and those constitute common areas.
Very seldom will a credible individual accept responsibility for maintenance of subdivision common areas, so de facto, HOAs become necessary.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:24 AM

5 posts, read 7,091 times
Thanks for the helpful responses about Cary. I will try to look into some of the specific neighborhoods mentioned. It seems that looking at what's for sale on Zillow is not giving me an accurate picture of Cary as a whole. A lot of the listings are for new construction townhouses, so I guess that is skewing my perception of what's available. Ideally, I would be able to visit and drive around, but that's not possible right now because I can't take time off of work.

Let me clarify for twingles that I do not want to have any cars and/or flags in my yard (and would prefer my neighbors don't either) I just don't want to pay high monthly fees for a ton of amenities that I may or may not use. I would be ok with up to $50 per month in HOA dues if we like the house and neighborhood. I should also mention that our house budget would be $300k, or hopefully less. Carpenter Village looks nice, but I think it is out of our price range, at least for single family houses (which we prefer).

Just to give an idea of what I mean by "cookie cutter," I like these:
1710 W Lakewood Ave, Durham, NC 27707 is For Sale - Zillow
604 Primitive St, Durham, NC 27701 is For Sale - Zillow
112 Cameron Ct, Cary, NC 27511 is For Sale - Zillow

not this:
216 Lakewater Dr, Cary, NC 27511 is For Sale - Zillow

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the helpful responses about Cary. I will try to look into some of the specific neighborhoods mentioned. It seems that looking at what's for sale on Zillow is not giving me an accurate picture of Cary as a whole. A lot of the listings are for new construction townhouses, so I guess that is skewing my perception of what's available. Ideally, I would be able to visit and drive around, but that's not possible right now because I can't take time off of work.

Let me clarify for twingles that I do not want to have any cars and/or flags in my yard (and would prefer my neighbors don't either) I just don't want to pay high monthly fees for a ton of amenities that I may or may not use. I would be ok with up to $50 per month in HOA dues if we like the house and neighborhood. I should also mention that our house budget would be $300k, or hopefully less. Carpenter Village looks nice, but I think it is out of our price range, at least for single family houses (which we prefer).

Just to give an idea of what I mean by "cookie cutter," I like these:
1710 W Lakewood Ave, Durham, NC 27707 is For Sale - Zillow
604 Primitive St, Durham, NC 27701 is For Sale - Zillow
112 Cameron Ct, Cary, NC 27511 is For Sale - Zillow

not this:
216 Lakewater Dr, Cary, NC 27511 is For Sale - Zillow

Thanks!

Well, the last one is in a townhome community, where properties tend to be duplicative.
And, with exterior buildings and grounds maintenance included, HOA dues are always much higher in TH communities.

Is the resistance to HOA all financial, or also a principal?
You should be able to get a pool, tennis, clubhouse, trails, playgrounds, etc, for under $50/month in a single family neighborhood easily enough.

If you are willing to consider a low cost HOA, your search will be much broader.
Oxxford Hunt, Kildaire Farms, maybe Devereaux(although Devereaux is more suburban location.)

Old 02-01-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Yep.

I can give a 60 minute Cary tour that will make people forget Zillow, not to mention "cookie-cutter."

But, the OP should define the housing desires better. Somehow, what she is seeing on Zillow is coming from her input.

I would be looking at Farmington Woods, Stoneybrook Estates, Irongate, Greenwood Forest, Hillsdale Forest, Walnut Ridge, Northwoods, Heart of Cary, Dutchess Village, Scottish Hills, Scottish Hills North, Homestead, Harrison Place, Trappers Run, Fieldstone Village, Giverny and other non-HOA neighborhoods if that was important.
MikeJaquish, I looked at some of the neighborhoods you listed, and I think you hit the nail on the head. I am now finding some spots with Walk Scores >70, which is ideal. Thanks!

Old 02-01-2014, 08:52 AM

Quote:
MikeJaquish, I looked at some of the neighborhoods you listed, and I think you hit the nail on the head. I am now finding Walk Scores >70, which is ideal. Thanks!
Talk to Lamishra about Irongate, Coronado Village, etc.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:56 AM

The HOA thing is mainly financial. I don't usually have an issue with the deed restrictions.

The area along Kildaire Farm Rd. is looking promising. Thanks for the suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary