Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:28 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times

Advertisements

Don't forget that Trader Joe's opening in the Eastgate Mall tomorrow, November 30.

I was hoping to be there despite the crowds but I'll be getting a root canal.

I'll be there as soon as the pain subsides.

Please report back if you go there. I do hope the store will be large enough. It is going to be very popular.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2007, 11:03 AM

351 posts, read 1,194,691 times
Yippee Skipee!

Old 11-29-2007, 11:58 AM

460 posts, read 1,770,624 times
Ooooooooh, thanks for the reminder!!!

Do you really think it will be crowded on a Friday?

Old 11-29-2007, 12:04 PM

Store openings are notoriously crowded. Though I expect it'll be even busier this weekend.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:59 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,294,631 times
Here's some of the article in the Durham Herald today about the opening. (I was surprised to see that they're owned by Aldi's, which has two locations in Raleigh. I was at the Aldi on Wake Forest Rd last weekend and it was the cleanest one I've ever been in!)

Dozens of workers -- nay, crew members -- bustled inside the soon to open Trader Joe's in Eastgate Shopping Center this week.

They inventoried vegetable chips and bottles of wine. They shelved items, swept the floor and readied the store for the 5,000 customers -- landlubbers, they're called -- expected Friday starting at
9 a.m.

After months of waiting, the much-anticipated Trader Joe's, a California-based specialty grocery store known for its Hawaiian shirt-clad employees, quality goods and low prices, is finally opening.

The enthusiasm customers have for the store is nothing new to Jovanna Brooks, creator of TraderJoesFan.com, a Web site where fans discuss new products and new stores and trade recipes made with Trader Joe's products.

The store was founded in 1958 near Los Angeles as Pronto Markets. In the late '60s, founder Joe Coulombe, "Trader Joe," changed the company's direction to specialize in natural foods and good wines.

In 1979, Coulombe sold the chain to members of a German family who also own Aldi Inc., an international grocer.

The Chapel Hill store's interior is painted Carolina blue out of loyalty to nearby UNC Chapel Hill. The murals, painted by a local artist, mostly feature scenes from Carolina that would win the loyalty of any Tar Heel heart.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:52 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,966,793 times
Yay! As much as I want to go this weekend, I'm not going anywhere near it.

Well, maybe right when they open. Maybe only 1000 other people will be there then.

Old 11-29-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Yay! As much as I want to go this weekend, I'm not going anywhere near it.

Well, maybe right when they open. Maybe only 1000 other people will be there then.

Scorp,

I think you are right. It is going to be very, very busy.

I want a sneak peek without the crowds.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Here's some of the article in the Durham Herald today about the opening. (I was surprised to see that they're owned by Aldi's, which has two locations in Raleigh. I was at the Aldi on Wake Forest Rd last weekend and it was the cleanest one I've ever been in!)

Dozens of workers -- nay, crew members -- bustled inside the soon to open Trader Joe's in Eastgate Shopping Center this week.

They inventoried vegetable chips and bottles of wine. They shelved items, swept the floor and readied the store for the 5,000 customers -- landlubbers, they're called -- expected Friday starting at
9 a.m.

After months of waiting, the much-anticipated Trader Joe's, a California-based specialty grocery store known for its Hawaiian shirt-clad employees, quality goods and low prices, is finally opening.

The enthusiasm customers have for the store is nothing new to Jovanna Brooks, creator of TraderJoesFan.com, a Web site where fans discuss new products and new stores and trade recipes made with Trader Joe's products.

The store was founded in 1958 near Los Angeles as Pronto Markets. In the late '60s, founder Joe Coulombe, "Trader Joe," changed the company's direction to specialize in natural foods and good wines.

In 1979, Coulombe sold the chain to members of a German family who also own Aldi Inc., an international grocer.

The Chapel Hill store's interior is painted Carolina blue out of loyalty to nearby UNC Chapel Hill. The murals, painted by a local artist, mostly feature scenes from Carolina that would win the loyalty of any Tar Heel heart.
Trader Joes is owned by Aldi???? Oh my. I would never guess that....as Aldi's are....well....let's just leave it as me being VERY surprised.

Old 11-29-2007, 04:57 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,149,679 times
To be technical about it, some of the people who own Aldi's also own Trader Joe's, but they are two separate companies. I don't think the two companies share management. To quote this Business Week article: "About all this 210-store U.S. chain shares with Germany's Aldi Group -- besides being owned by a trust created by Aldi co-founder Theo Albrecht -- is its rigorous control over costs." BW Online | April 26, 2004 | Trader Joe's: The Trendy American Cousin

Any investor could invest in a variety of types of businesses.

Old 11-29-2007, 05:04 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,669,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Lurk View Post
To be technical about it, some of the people who own Aldi's also own Trader Joe's, but they are two separate companies. I don't think the two companies share management. To quote this Business Week article: "About all this 210-store U.S. chain shares with Germany's Aldi Group -- besides being owned by a trust created by Aldi co-founder Theo Albrecht -- is its rigorous control over costs." BW Online | April 26, 2004 | Trader Joe's: The Trendy American Cousin

Any investor could invest in a variety of types of businesses.
I get that...but Aldi's are gross and their products even worse (they are only slighly better in Europe...but not by much)...I can't imagine one owner running to VASTLY different sorts of stores. Most have a certain niche with some differences....these are close to be polar opposites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary