Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 07:28 AM

51 posts, read 78,767 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about buying house at toll brothers - Manors (Cary). I have few questions if anyone can helps,
1. How good is their construction and the community?
2. Anyone had luck negotiating the price with them and by how much, if any?
3. How flexible are they in terms of making minor chances in the plan?
4. How long they typically take to make the new home?
5. Do they normally do extra incentive for last lots?

Anything else anyone wants to throw in..

Thanks

Last edited by rythemdevi; 01-30-2014 at 08:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 07:47 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
You are referring to Green Level Crossing?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:36 AM

Yes,

Old 01-30-2014, 09:51 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rythemdevi View Post
We are thinking about buying house at toll brothers - Manors (Cary). I have few questions if anyone can helps,.....
Do you mean changes in addition to what is on their "Design your own" planning tool? Their changes are already fairly extensive.

They have the reputation of having one of the best quality among tract builders. You might look up (or message) user JKGourmet who had a Toll Brothers house built. I think she said it was 9 months to complete their house, and that they had substantial changes to the basic plan.

Also check this comment on Toll at the bottom of page 2: //www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...500k-up-2.html

Their web site is currently running a "National Sales Incentive" event for February 1-17. It sounds like they will discount the extras. if you are serious about trying to negotiate on price with them, I'd suggest using a Realtor as your buyer broker.

Last edited by goldenage1; 01-30-2014 at 10:05 AM..

Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
We are thinking about buying house at toll brothers - Manors (Cary). I have few questions if anyone can helps,
1. How good is their construction and the community?
2. Anyone had luck negotiating the price with them and by how much, if any?
5. Do they normally do extra incentive for last lots?

Anything else anyone wants to throw in..

Thanks

Is there anything in particular that interested you in Toll Brothers? I'm just curious. We have a ton of RE in the 500k and up arena in Cary that's not tract and it's higher quality, so I was just wondering what made you zero in on Toll.

If you are set on Toll, I agree with goldenage... try messaging Jkgourmet. She's not been on much lately, that I've seen, though.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 PM

My wife likes toll as a builder and I looked at their finishing and construction, i am in agreement too. We are not interested in Resale because, we like to build per our choice, more latest features, long warranties. so and so....
There are not many nice houses with decent lots available in West Cary at this time, unless i missed any. There are few coming but it will be by end of the year and we want to be there by end of the year.

I tried searching for Jkgourment but did not find much.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
My wife likes toll as a builder and I looked at their finishing and construction, i am in agreement too. We are not interested in Resale because, we like to build per our choice, more latest features, long warranties. so and so....
There are not many nice houses with decent lots available in West Cary at this time, unless i missed any. There are few coming but it will be by end of the year and we want to be there by end of the year.

I tried searching for Jkgourment but did not find much.

The few homes I've been in that were Toll out in that development... and it wasn't in the Manors, it was in the more expensive development whose name I forget... Estates? Something like that... had lackluster finish work and crooked walls.

But, that's just me. I do have a friend who bought new in a Toll neighborhood in Durham over by the American Tobacco Trial who swears she would NEVER buy Toll again. They're not satisfied.

There are some new, custom homes available right now in West Cary over in Westvale. Did you look there?

GLC seems to attract people who overpay for homes, then cannot sell them later for what they paid... just an observation about the neighborhood. We looked over there because we liked the AREA. But, the development was just awful, really.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
The few homes I've been in that were Toll out in that development... and it wasn't in the Manors, it was in the more expensive development whose name I forget... Estates? Something like that... had lackluster finish work and crooked walls.

But, that's just me. I do have a friend who bought new in a Toll neighborhood in Durham over by the American Tobacco Trial who swears she would NEVER buy Toll again. They're not satisfied.

There are some new, custom homes available right now in West Cary over in Westvale. Did you look there?

GLC seems to attract people who overpay for homes, then cannot sell them later for what they paid... just an observation about the neighborhood. We looked over there because we liked the AREA. But, the development was just awful, really.
I think you are talking about Woodland collection in Cary opposite to Toscany. I seem to like it.

We looked at Westvale and did not like the vicinity of cemetery. There is new one coming up Next to Toscany, Emerald homes, i believe they are built by DR Horton. Again same vicinity of cemetery.

I wondering why do you think that the GLC development is awful and overpriced, just wondering?

Old 01-30-2014, 01:59 PM

Quote:
I think you are talking about Woodland collection in Cary opposite to Toscany. I seem to like it.

We looked at Westvale and did not like the vicinity of cemetery. There is new one coming up Next to Toscany, Emerald homes, i believe they are built by DR Horton. Again same vicinity of cemetery.

I wondering why do you think that the GLC development is awful and overpriced, just wondering?

yes... the one across from Toscana.

And I would think that anything would be preferable to DR Horton, so I do like Toll better than them.

Well, the Manors I like even less than the one across from Toscana, and I've been in a handful of houses in both, during various stages of construction.

Let me run down my list:

Layout of neighborhood is a bit odd. Not a huge issue, but there's that.

Homes are somewhat boxlike. They tend to have most of the facade slapped on the front of the home, and the rest is all siding. Again, not a dealbreaker, but makes the neighborhood less than attractive.

Too many choices/combinations of siding and finishes. You might not think this is a huge issue, but the truth is that some people are just bad at visualizing what two types of stone, some brick and some shakes plus siding will look like when you slam them together on a house. I like to look out the window and see lovely homes and yards... I don't like to look out and see tacky choices in siding and brick. Again, maybe no big deal for some people, but it bothered us.

Bedrooms were smallish given the sizes of the homes. This is a big deal, by the way. There's also little to no crown molding in any of the spec homes, which means it's an upgrade. The walls we did see in bedrooms and hallways were not straight in many places, which means that someone didn't take the time to make them straight. I doubt they'd look good in a few years. Also, they seem to be using nails instead of screws, so I am thinking drywall pops like mad. Maybe that's an upgrade, I dunno.

Carpeted stairs. No... just no. Why put that there? I realize you could change this, but I bet the upgrades are pricey.

Weird stuff like columns in the master bedroom. Out of date. Reminded me of what was in style 10 years ago. I don't dislike columns, necessarily, but they need to go with the styling of the rest of the home, not just slapped in there at random.

Huge, grand staircases in front of the home to show it off like a palace... double staircase sometimes... tiny rooms and crowded kitchens! This seems like it's inefficient use of space, so it's a strike against them.

Cabinets feel cheap. Don't seem to come with soft-close hardware, but I figure that's another way to nickel and dime.

Appliances are so-so. Again, probably another place to run up the bill, so I guess it's irrelevant.

Closets contain wire shelving. Really? At that price? No thanks.

I could keep going on... they look nice when you glance at them, but unless you've spent much time in custom homes you could get for the same price, it would be hard to see why they are so... eh.

They seem to be Energy Star, so I guess there's that.

Oh... pull-down attics. No... just... no. There's no reason to build homes for over 500k without an attic that has permanent stairs unless the roof style will not accommodate a walk up attic.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
yes... the one across from Toscana.

And I would think that anything would be preferable to DR Horton, so I do like Toll better than them.

Well, the Manors I like even less than the one across from Toscana, and I've been in a handful of houses in both, during various stages of construction.

Let me run down my list:

Layout of neighborhood is a bit odd. Not a huge issue, but there's that.

Homes are somewhat boxlike. They tend to have most of the facade slapped on the front of the home, and the rest is all siding. Again, not a dealbreaker, but makes the neighborhood less than attractive.

Too many choices/combinations of siding and finishes. You might not think this is a huge issue, but the truth is that some people are just bad at visualizing what two types of stone, some brick and some shakes plus siding will look like when you slam them together on a house. I like to look out the window and see lovely homes and yards... I don't like to look out and see tacky choices in siding and brick. Again, maybe no big deal for some people, but it bothered us.

Bedrooms were smallish given the sizes of the homes. This is a big deal, by the way. There's also little to no crown molding in any of the spec homes, which means it's an upgrade. The walls we did see in bedrooms and hallways were not straight in many places, which means that someone didn't take the time to make them straight. I doubt they'd look good in a few years. Also, they seem to be using nails instead of screws, so I am thinking drywall pops like mad. Maybe that's an upgrade, I dunno.

Carpeted stairs. No... just no. Why put that there? I realize you could change this, but I bet the upgrades are pricey.

Weird stuff like columns in the master bedroom. Out of date. Reminded me of what was in style 10 years ago. I don't dislike columns, necessarily, but they need to go with the styling of the rest of the home, not just slapped in there at random.

Huge, grand staircases in front of the home to show it off like a palace... double staircase sometimes... tiny rooms and crowded kitchens! This seems like it's inefficient use of space, so it's a strike against them.

Cabinets feel cheap. Don't seem to come with soft-close hardware, but I figure that's another way to nickel and dime.

Appliances are so-so. Again, probably another place to run up the bill, so I guess it's irrelevant.

Closets contain wire shelving. Really? At that price? No thanks.

I could keep going on... they look nice when you glance at them, but unless you've spent much time in custom homes you could get for the same price, it would be hard to see why they are so... eh.

They seem to be Energy Star, so I guess there's that.

Oh... pull-down attics. No... just... no. There's no reason to build homes for over 500k without an attic that has permanent stairs unless the roof style will not accommodate a walk up attic.

Make sense, However, we looked a lot but did not fins something in custom range. Unless i missed some. There are other very nice ones but they are way over budget. Not many custom homes coming at this time except Ashton wood that i know of. Even they will start at $500's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary