Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2014, 07:16 PM

698 posts, read 959,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SINY2NC View Post
We are coming down for only 4-5 days this time.
I would suggest hoping in the car during a rush hour and try to get somewhere like one of the hospitals to see what this hellish commute feels like to you.
Take some trips to places you think you would be shopping regularly, see how long it takes, how it feels

I agree with some of the others, definitely rent first!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 09:06 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Gonna be hard to avoid New Yorkers anywhere in the Raleigh area. Have you LOOKED at the posts in this thread? (BTW, it's kind of hypocritical to say "I am of demographic X and I don't want to be around people of demographic X" )
In our neighborhood, NJ tags are about as common as NY tags.

Old 02-11-2014, 04:56 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,235,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
That's true, but generally speaking the kids who live in Highcroft go to Highcroft elementary.
Generally true, but go ask people who've moved into Highcroft Oaks during the academic year. I know more than a few that couldn't get a spot at Highcroft.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:21 AM

342 posts, read 387,831 times
Interesting how much each of our perspectives plays into our opinions. I have lived in the Wake Forest area for 15 years (3 years in the Heritage sub and 12 in Youngsville) and to me Cary would be on the fringes of the action of what is important to ME.

My husband commutes daily to Raleigh and I even drove my kids to school in Raleigh for 4 years every day. For 2 years I drove daily into RTP (using backroads). I have never found the commutes to be hellish or WF too far out. I can be downtown in 25 minutes tops and at the airport in the same amount of time. Although, I am glad I no longer commute to RTP, that IS a long commute. Yes, if you go during rush hour and go straight down Capital, it can be slow. But one of the benefits of Heritage as opposed to other parts of WF is the location, I can be at 540 in about 7-8 minutes using Forestville and 401K. And since that part of 401 is 6 laned odds are good that traffic won't get too congested even as growth continues in this area.

WF has really grown in the past few years with a lot of shopping and restaurants right in WF along with lots of doctors, dentists, kids activities. Honestly, most people rarely have to leave the area (I include Wakefield in the Wake Forest area). There is a movie theatre in Wakefield, a bowling alley in WF, all the amenities at the Factory, 2 YMCA's and even several wine bars and a brewery. Although, Triangle Town Center isn't the worlds greatest mall, it does fine for most needs and is 15 minutes away tops from Heritage. The only place that I find inconvenient from WF is the Crabtree area and Cary (although that is less of an issue with 540 extending now). When I hear that WF is far from the action, I wonder exactly what action people are talking about since to me there seems plenty up here now. When we moved up here 15 years ago, that definitely was not the case, but things are totally different now.

But what I LOVE about WF is the natural beauty as well as the small town feel with the easy access to bigger city amenities. People really know each other and there is a sense of community up here, especially in the Heritage sub. There are a lot of festivals, parades and pride in the town. The Greenway system is great up here as well as many parks. I can't go anywhere without running into many people that I know and I really feel that people look out for each other, especially when it comes to the kids. When my father in law died we had a complete outpouring of support. It was amazing.

All that said, the concern about job locations for the OP is a valid concern. Do you have to work at a hospital or are medical centers and doc offices a possibility? There are many doctors offices in this area or North Raleigh. Also there is a medical center (not hospital) of Rex at Wakefield as well as a Wakemed hospital at Durant and Falls (15-20 min from Heritage). If you have to work at a hospital, how many days would you work and would you be going at off times do to shift work? I know several friends who are nurses who only work 3 days a week with 12 hours shift. If that is the case, then it might be worth it to you to live in the area that feels right and deal with a longer commute on those three days.

To the poster who recommend Highland Creek, that sub is actually only about 5 minutes from the one the OP is looking at using Forestville.

Old 02-11-2014, 07:24 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB1972 View Post
Generally true, but go ask people who've moved into Highcroft Oaks during the academic year. I know more than a few that couldn't get a spot at Highcroft.
I was talking about the actual Highcroft.

Old 02-11-2014, 08:43 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,237 times
RENT, do not buy yet.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:23 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Spoken like a true real estate agent who forgets that a mistake costs 6% to resell.
I don't forget anything, I just didn't include every cost. But unless you're paying cash, you're not plunking down the entire cost. You're plunking down the down payment, and closing costs today...so see, those closing costs are actually part of the "cost of a mistake" also.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:25 AM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
I also generally advise everyone that is moving here that is unsure about where, and job location, as the OP to rent first.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM

464 posts, read 1,043,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferg72nc View Post
To the poster who recommend Highland Creek, that sub is actually only about 5 minutes from the one the OP is looking at using Forestville.
True, but Highland Creek is already on 401 with an easier commute to 540. Depending on when you are driving on Forestville Rd during commute times from Heritage you will most probably run into school buses that slow or stop the flow of traffic making for a much longer time to 401 than just 5 minutes.

During optimal off-school hours I agree that I can get to Heritage / Rogers Rd in about 5 minutes.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM

342 posts, read 387,831 times
I do agree that the OP should rent first especially since they are not sure of job locations. Since you seem to really like WF and even Heritage, rent in that area and see if it is a fit for your family. Just make sure that the house/apt you rent are also in the school zone where you think you will most likely buy in Heritage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary