Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 08:57 AM

317 posts, read 1,514,244 times

Advertisements

TO everyone that works in the hospital. Can you get fired for calling off due to inclement weather? I know that we have a state of emergency issued in Raleigh. I work at Rex HOspital and they have a code weather policy where you can stay over night and sleep in a room with cots and other people. No thanks! I'm supposed to work Wed adn Thurs - 12 hour day shift (7am to 730pm). So I'm wondering if its legal for them to fire me for not coming in to work on Wed or Thurs?

I'm worried about getting back there on Thursday. I'm also worried they'll make me stay over Thursday night and have to work on Friday even though I'm supposed to be off. I'm considered an essential employee since I'm a nurse.

Any professional advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2014, 09:02 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,819,544 times
I think if you're an essential employee, you should get there and plan to stay there. If you're non-union, they may very well terminate you. Any way you can call someone who is there and see if it's possible for them to cover for you instead? You would, of course, need your supervisor's approval, preferably in an email just in case.

I know that when I was young and single, I often volunteered to work holidays, weekends, and nights so that the married folks with families could be together. Double and triple-overtime pay helped "ease the sting".

You really should contact your supervisor rather than taking a chance. There are a lot of job seekers out there. . . just sayin'. . .

Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I think if you're an essential employee, you should get there and plan to stay there. If you're non-union, they may very well terminate you. Any way you can call someone who is there and see if it's possible for them to cover for you instead? You would, of course, need your supervisor's approval, preferably in an email just in case.

I know that when I was young and single, I often volunteered to work holidays, weekends, and nights so that the married folks with families could be together. Double and triple-overtime pay helped "ease the sting".

You really should contact your supervisor rather than taking a chance. There are a lot of job seekers out there. . . just sayin'. . .
Good post.

I know I need to tread lightly here, but I think that if you are an essential employee, you have some responsibility to get there. People count on you. Yes, you have a family (just like the rest of us), but some things come with the job.

I say this respectfully, and I humbly appreciate what people of the medical profession do for everyone, and the sacrifices they make. (My daughter was born during the 2000 snow storm. She had a VERY difficult birth and the only reason she survived was due to the efforts of multiple people, not only to take huge risks to save her, but to be there at all.)

I hope that you can find coverage if you're worried about it, but if you can't, I hope you'll find a way to be there for anyone who depends on you.

Respectfully.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:09 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,546,522 times
People don't stop getting sick/injured/dying on account of the weather. So if you're essential staff, you should get to work.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:11 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,277,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
I work at Rex HOspital and they have a code weather policy where you can stay over night and sleep in a room with cots and other people. No thanks!
It may not be ideal, but it's part of the deal when you become essential personnel in a hospital. They can't just decide not to take care of patients because all the employees decided to take a snow day and stay home.

Frankly? I think you need to suck it up and go in with plans to stay in. Yes, even if it means sharing a room with other people and sleeping on a cot. That's the reality of working in a hospital. Otherwise, I think you need to look for another line of work.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:33 AM

633 posts, read 1,165,288 times
I don't think you have unions there. I worked in a HUGE NYC hospital. If we called out for snow, they would dock our pay. 3rd time, fired. They also provided pick up locations on all main roads, so if you could walk to a main road, they would get you to the hospital. Definately mandated once there to stay. The only time we were told we would be terminated was on 9/11. We got recorded calls saying we must come in or would be terminated, no excusals. I worked and the hospital was cleared out for victims, but as we all know there were none. No drs there, all at WTC and we had standard orders for everything. I cried my eyes out.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:38 AM

9,145 posts, read 14,773,090 times
They can fire you tomorrow because they feel like it, unless you have a contract, so I imagine they can fire you for calling out one day, regardless of the reason.

I imagine a large place like Rex has a policy covering this situation, what does it say?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,342,883 times
I agree with other posters that you should check the hospital policy. As far as leaving between your Wed and Thurs shifts, I have worked at facilities that will mandate you to stay until your replacement has arrived in these situations. If the storm has started this means you are staying. And yes they will offer you food and a bed.

Also it will not endear you to the administrative staff if you do call out on a critical day, like a snow storm. Even if it did not result in termination they will be aware of who the no shows are - something to consider regarding your future at the hospital. Bear in mind this is two sided, a good administrative staff will also recognize and remember those who did show up during a storm.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:25 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,549,429 times
You might be able to trade your shifts with someone else who can stay as needed, depending on your hospital's policy of trading shifts. But I would certainly not call out. Calling out means someone else will need to fill that gap that you are leaving empty. So, regardless of your boss and official firing, the attitudes of your colleagues will be hard to live with. Not only that, but this is a small area and the decision could affect future hiring.

I have known nurses to come in a full 12-24 hrs early to utilize those cots to ensure they get there in time. I have known National Guard going out to GET those that cannot make it in their cars. There are many many folks who risk their lives to help out so it is almost unthinkable that a 'provided cot' would be a 'no, thank-you'. Take your extra clothes, pillow, and whatever makes you comfortable and plan on staying. That is the professional thing to do.

So no - there are very few excuses. Unless you have really extraordinary family circumstances, I'd figure out a way to get to work and stay there as needed.

In fact, you would make points if you called your nurse manager to ask if you should come in tonight (early) and sleep to ensure you'll be there for your shift tomorrow am...

This is pretty standard with inclement weather. It actually is a really nice time to work, because of the camaraderie built with co-workers and families/patients are always so grateful.

Being part of something like this is a great opportunity to build credibility with other staff and admin.

Old 02-11-2014, 01:07 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,254,457 times
When hubby works at Wake Med, he was considered "essential". If he couldn't get to work, they would have someone with a 4 wheel drive pick him up.

Of course, when his day was over, unless someone was going the same way as home, he didn't always get a ride when he was ready. If others didn't show up, he had to stay. Part of being "essential". It is what you sign up for when you work in a hospital.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary