Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 02:12 PM

173 posts, read 313,100 times

Advertisements

Commute home tomorrow looks fun:

Quote:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE RALEIGH NC
305 PM EST THU JAN 24 2013

...WINTRY PRECIPITATION LIKELY FRIDAY INTO FRIDAY EVENING...

.A FAST MOVING SURFACE LOW AND ATTENDANT COLD FRONT WILL CROSS
CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA LATE FRIDAY AND FRIDAY EVENING. MOISTURE
ASSOCIATED WITH THIS SYSTEM COUPLED WITH AN ARCTIC AIR MASS IN
PLACE WILL LEAD TO THE PRODUCTION OF WINTRY PRECIPITATION ACROSS A
LARGE PART OF CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND FRIDAY
EVENING.

NCZ007>011-021>028-038>043-073>078-083-084-251030-
/O.NEW.KRAH.WW.Y.0003.130125T1700Z-130126T0500Z/
PERSON-GRANVILLE-VANCE-WARREN-HALIFAX-FORSYTH-GUILFORD-ALAMANCE-
ORANGE-DURHAM-FRANKLIN-NASH-EDGECOMBE-DAVIDSON-RANDOLPH-CHATHAM-
WAKE-JOHNSTON-WILSON-STANLY-MONTGOMERY-MOORE-LEE-HARNETT-WAYNE-
ANSON-RICHMOND-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ROXBORO...OXFORD...HENDERSON...
WARRENTON...ROANOKE RAPIDS...WINSTON-SALEM...GREENSBORO...
HIGH POINT...BURLINGTON...CHAPEL HILL...DURHAM...LOUISBURG...
NASHVILLE...ROCKY MOUNT...LEXINGTON...ASHEBORO...PITTSBORO...
RALEIGH...SMITHFIELD...WILSON...ALBEMARLE...TROY.. .
SOUTHERN PINES...SANFORD...LILLINGTON...GOLDSBORO...WADESBO RO...
ROCKINGHAM
305 PM EST THU JAN 24 2013

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM NOON FRIDAY TO MIDNIGHT
EST FRIDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN RALEIGH HAS ISSUED A WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM NOON FRIDAY TO
MIDNIGHT EST FRIDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS...CENTRAL NORTH CAROLINA EXCLUDING THE FAR SOUTHEAST COUNTIES.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...FREEZING RAIN...FREEZING DRIZZLE AND A
LITTLE SLEET.

* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...A 0.10 TO 0.15 OF AN INCH POSSIBLE ACROSS
THE CENTRAL PIEDMONT EXTENDING NORTHEASTWARD INTO THE NORTHERN
COASTAL PLAIN.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... A HALF TO AN INCH ACROSS THE NORTHERN
PIEDMONT...MAINLY NORTH OF HIGHWAY 64 WITH THE HIGHEST TOTALS
OCCURRING FROM THE TRIAD TO THE VIRGINIA BORDER.

* SLEET ACCUMULATION...A QUARTER OF AN INCH OR LESS...MAINLY
ACROSS THE FAR NORTHERN PIEDMONT.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION IS LIKELY TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE WESTERN
PIEDMONT BY EARLY AFTERNOON...THEN SPREAD EASTWARD...REACHING
THE COASTAL PLAIN BY LATE AFTERNOON. THE BULK OF PRECIPITATION
WILL OCCUR BETWEEN 2 PM AND 9 PM.

* IMPACTS...SNOW AND ICE ACCRUAL WILL LEAD TO SLICK
ROADWAYS...ESPECIALLY ON BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES...CREATING
HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS. THIS WILL HAVE AN IMPACT ON THE
EVENING RUSH HOUR. EXPOSED OUTDOOR OBJECTS SUCH AS
FENCES...POWER-LINES... AND TREE LIMBS WILL GAIN A THIN COAT OF
ICE. THIS ICE ACCRETION MAY CAUSE WEAKENED OR DISEASED TREE
LIMBS TO BREAK OFF. SIDEWALKS AND STEPS LEADING TO BUILDINGS
WILL QUICKLY BECOME SLICK AND HAZARDOUS.

* TEMPERATURES...ONCE THE PRECIPITATION STARTS...TEMPERATURES WILL FALL
AND REMAIN BELOW FREEZING UNTIL LATE SATURDAY MORNING.
THUS...WHAT ACCUMULATES ON THE ROADWAYS WILL REMAIN ON THE
ROADS THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF SNOW...SLEET...OR
FREEZING RAIN WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FOR
SLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES...AND USE CAUTION WHILE
DRIVING.

&&

$$

WSS/CBL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 02:17 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
I heard WCPSS is dismissing early...

Vicki

Old 01-24-2013, 02:29 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,065,651 times
Vicki:

Just what does this type of weather do to Raleigh streets? Are they slippery as all get out or can you manage to get around safely in a car? Do they salt or sand the roads? I guess this doesn't happen that often but it sounds like it shuts down a lot in the metro area cause they are unprepared for it. Closing the schools? My goodness....

Old 01-24-2013, 02:35 PM

794 posts, read 1,326,039 times
My BF and I were driving on 540 last night to meet friends for dinner and we noticed white/gray lines in each lane. He thought it was the brine they put down to help and said it also looked like that on 40 when he drove home from work. Does anyone know if that is what it is? I noticed more when I went out today to run an errand.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:37 PM

804 posts, read 2,004,912 times
phxbarb, i'm not vicki but i can answer your questions. many of the roads will get slick, although they have already been out treating roads as early as yesterday. this time they were able to treat the roads. however, since it looks like more rain/ice/sleet coming in, that may be washed away.

remember that ice is the problem more than snow. while we don't have a lot of snow plows in the area (since we don't really get snow that often), ice is the culprit for a lot of stupidity when people think they're 4x4 will do them just fine in the snow & ice. in actuality, nothing really can handle ice other than slow & steady driving, including extra caution on bridges. schools are dismissing early probably in an effort to avoid the nightmare of 2005 when people were literally stuck overnight in their cars, workplaces, schools, wherever because of an ice storm that begain quicker than anticipated & gridlock ensued with busses on the road & parents trying to get to kids & people trying to leave.

as with anything, this could turn out to be a non-event just like last friday's storm but you never know.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:59 PM

22,671 posts, read 36,810,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_widget View Post
My BF and I were driving on 540 last night to meet friends for dinner and we noticed white/gray lines in each lane. He thought it was the brine they put down to help and said it also looked like that on 40 when he drove home from work. Does anyone know if that is what it is? I noticed more when I went out today to run an errand.
Yes, that is the brine.

Ugh on the schools. Three hours?! Mine will be home at 11:15

Old 01-24-2013, 03:11 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,252,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
phxbarb, i'm not vicki but i can answer your questions. many of the roads will get slick, although they have already been out treating roads as early as yesterday. this time they were able to treat the roads. however, since it looks like more rain/ice/sleet coming in, that may be washed away.

remember that ice is the problem more than snow. while we don't have a lot of snow plows in the area (since we don't really get snow that often), ice is the culprit for a lot of stupidity when people think they're 4x4 will do them just fine in the snow & ice. in actuality, nothing really can handle ice other than slow & steady driving, including extra caution on bridges. schools are dismissing early probably in an effort to avoid the nightmare of 2005 when people were literally stuck overnight in their cars, workplaces, schools, wherever because of an ice storm that begain quicker than anticipated & gridlock ensued with busses on the road & parents trying to get to kids & people trying to leave.

as with anything, this could turn out to be a non-event just like last friday's storm but you never know.
Yup!

Getting home from work when there is ice or sleet on the roads requires you to drive VERY SLOWLY and not everyone seems to be capable of doing that!

Hubby drives to and from work no matter what the weather...dedication! And luckily, even though he is from NC, he seems to understand that he needs to slow down in bad weather. So...it can be done. I, on the other hand, stay home when the weather is bad...safe and sound and warm!

Vicki

Old 01-24-2013, 04:19 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,080,377 times
Earlier the National Weather Service was drawing parallels to the infamous 1 inch snowfall that ground Raleigh to a halt. Very little precipitation if it was wet, but cold enough so that the frozen precipitation accumulates just enough.

The difference this time is that the roads are brined (those thin white lines you see on the roads). IIRC the previous storm was the motivation to try brine in this area.

Be safe,

Frank

Old 01-24-2013, 04:39 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, that is the brine.

Ugh on the schools. Three hours?! Mine will be home at 11:15
They will be HOME at 11:15??!! What time do they normally get out to be home by 2:15? I didnt know any schools around here let out that early!

Old 01-24-2013, 04:53 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,678 times
Up to a 1/4" of accumulation....on cold roads and ground. This little storm will pass through quickly, and probably leave a mess.

The 3 hour early dismissal is a bit presumptuous. Really screws things up for a lot of people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary