Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 07:48 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times

Advertisements

Indoor Plumbing? Tear it down!

Old 02-20-2014, 07:59 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,187,022 times
From what I can see on Google maps, the disgruntled neighbor's mint green house juts out closer to the curb than any other house on the street, but of course, I'm sure that's okay with her. IMO her house isn't following the same suit as all the other cute little bungalows on the street either. This ought to make for an interesting neighbor relationship. Perhaps a local show called The Real Housewives of Euclid Street would be in order?

Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I'm in the group of..."whether or not it SHOULD have been approved is moot".

It WAS approved and to change that when the home is so close to being finished just ain't right!

Vicki

Old 02-20-2014, 08:58 AM

637 posts, read 1,057,505 times
Just my thoughts:

A 2 minute perusal of the RHDC guidelines would have thrown red flags all over to this project, that someone would have to be going out of their way to see how big of a cluster-stuff they could turn this project into by ignoring them... some specific items:

Raleigh Historic Development Commission Guidelines
4.3.2 Design new construction so that the overall character of the site, site topography, character-defining site features, trees, and significant district vistas and views are retained.
4.3.6 Design new buildings to be compatible with surrounding buildings that contribute to the overall character of the historic district in terms of height,
form, size, scale, massing, proportion, and roof shape.
4.3.7 Design the proportion of the proposed new building’s front facade to be
compatible with the front facade proportion of surrounding historic buildings.
4.3.8 Design the spacing, placement, scale, orientation, proportion, and size of
window and door openings in proposed new construction to be compatible
with the surrounding buildings that contribute to the special character of
the historic district.
4.3.11 Design new buildings so that they are compatible with but discernible from
historic buildings in the district.

Now, without even getting into the subject of talking about the unmitigated stupidity (or perhaps just a case of more dollars than sense) it would seem to require to not know these could be a problem, and move forward with building a structure like the one in the photo, there is a more worrisome issue here that I see.

RHDC approved the build. RBOA overturned after the thing was almost already built.

That's just the right hand not talking to the left on the part of the city and I think they should be on the hook to pay for all costs incurred even if it involves full reimbursement to the homeowner and demolition. The homeowner just needs a class in how to be less of an idiot. The City of Raleigh needs same.

See my recent comments in the "Tiny Home" thread. There should be completion of training certification required for any home builders and permit seekers on a course on architectural consistency, just to help prevent this kind of thing from happening.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:05 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,286,774 times
Tear it down and let the city pay for it? I don't think so. When "they" pay for it, I pay for it. The money doesn't just drop from a tree.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Forbes View Post
Tear it down and let the city pay for it? I don't think so. When "they" pay for it, I pay for it. The money doesn't just drop from a tree.
It's either that or have a city government that puts you on the hook you pay for their mistakes in much larger sums, so which do you prefer, to make payments on that (taxes) or to let them send you a bill for half a million bucks? The citizens pay for city government one way or another, I just don't think any one person should be on the hook for epic f____ups like this one.

Isn't that kind of what taxes are? An insurance policy against government stupidity.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:16 AM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcstef View Post

Raleigh Historic Development Commission Guidelines
4.3.2 Design new construction so that the overall character of the site, site topography, character-defining site features, trees, and significant district vistas and views are retained.
4.3.6 Design new buildings to be compatible with surrounding buildings that contribute to the overall character of the historic district in terms of height,
form, size, scale, massing, proportion, and roof shape.
4.3.7 Design the proportion of the proposed new building’s front facade to be
compatible with the front facade proportion of surrounding historic buildings.
4.3.8 Design the spacing, placement, scale, orientation, proportion, and size of
window and door openings in proposed new construction to be compatible
with the surrounding buildings that contribute to the special character of
the historic district.
4.3.11 Design new buildings so that they are compatible with but discernible from
historic buildings in the district.
These are very subjective, and with the exception of roof-shape, I really don't see an objective violation of these guidelines. Maybe window size? Compatibility, character, proportion, placement, scale and whatnot are arguably fine...

But it seems you, I and most of us are in agreement. Vicki stated it best. (What "should" have happened is moot at this point...)

Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
These are very subjective, and with the exception of roof-shape, I really don't see an objective violation of these guidelines. Maybe window size? Compatibility, character, proportion, placement, scale and whatnot are arguably fine...

But it seems you, I and most of us are in agreement. Vicki stated it best. (What "should" have happened is moot at this point...)
Yep yep yep.

This is like closing the barn door after the horses have gotten out.

Last edited by RedZin; 02-20-2014 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: I got up too early this AM. Thanks!

Old 02-20-2014, 09:20 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,815,964 times
About the only thing that anyone could/should expect of the builder, is that an attempt be made to find a harmonious paint scheme for the house. The ship has sailed over the horizon.

Old 02-20-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post

I agree that words like "compatible" can get fuzzy when someone has a strong enough desire to see compatibility between something that looks like a home out of A Clockwork Orange and historic North Carolina construction, but at the end of the day it was up to the city to see the problem and they should be held accountable for the fact it got this far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary