Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 06:51 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,024 times

Advertisements

My BF is an XLT, sometimes I find some decent stuff at Kohls in the big and tall department. If not we order the tall sizes online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2014, 07:43 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,706,148 times
I gave up on local big & tall stores a long time ago. Online is the only way to go. Yes it's a trial-and-error process to find something over the Internet that fits, but once you've homed in on a size and fit, ordering online is much faster and the selection is better.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:33 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
LL Bean is a good source for on-line big and tall. Their lambs wool sweaters are the best

Old 03-07-2014, 10:26 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
My husband is 6'7" and muscular and as the person that does most of his clothes shopping I can totally relate (sleeve length too short, shirt too big around waist, short pant lengths for anything greater than a size 34 or 36 waist, etc.)!

There is not ONE store that I can routinely shop to find stuff for him. I do not like most of the "Big and Tall" shops because they mostly cater to BIG and have to special order things that will fit my husband. It is always hit or miss at other stores so it usually takes going to about 5 different stores on a given day to just find a few items for him...including shoes and socks! And then I usually have to return half of what I bought because even though the size on the label is right it doesn't fit :-(

Thankfully my husband is not too particular, maybe due to our age, so that is a plus ;-) I really do feel for the younger guys in this area that are tall and want to look more stylish.

Anyway the stores that I "occasionally" can find things at are....

Belks (I have been able to find slimmer shirts around waist here), Stein Mart, Costco, Nordstrom, JC Penny (but that was more in the past/they have changed so much), Kohls and strangely enough the outlets (stores like Eddie Bauer, Ralph Lauren, Van Heusen). And when we do find pants or shirts that actually fit we buy them in as many colors/patterns as they have available :-)

Old 03-07-2014, 11:25 AM

1,243 posts, read 2,237,860 times
Belk's @ Crabtree and Destination XL works best for me. But ordering online is also good once you determine the sizing by trial and error. Major problem is sizes are different for different companies. For example, Belk's Saddlebred brand runs much larger than other brands. Drives me nuts!!!!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:25 AM

810 posts, read 1,448,997 times
I've gone completely to ordering from the Penneys catalog. In my business prime I was not just tall but Extra Tall, and not just Athletic but Double Athletic. They were able to fit me fine. Now (right now) I have all my 34W 38L Dockers on ebay because I'm aging, shortening, and widening.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:06 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
I thought I would update this with a recent find. It isn't exactly local, as it is a little beyond Fayetteville, but Joe Sugar's in St. Pauls NC is fantastic. It is truly an old school menswear store, and they can fit about anyone; they have both big and tall as well as short men's sections. Their price points vary, but I was able to buy a Hart Schaffner Marx suit for $100 less than what it would go for at Nordstroms, and they had my size on the rack and didn't have to order it in. Also, they had a really nice selection of sport shirts in different sizes, and variations on sizes. For example, I have rarely seen such a large selection of 1XT or 2XT shirts in one place; they had different variations on the standard L, XL, 2X sizes in greater quantity than I typically see. It was nice.

Old 04-02-2015, 09:53 AM

544 posts, read 851,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Dodging your question, I had no idea that South Florida had an overabundance of "Big and Tall" men??

I am 6'3" and the Big and Tall dept at Belk told me I didn't 'qualify' for their dept .... ??
I am also 6'3" and I don't understand why the clothing makers expect tall guys to also be big. If I bought a pair of sweatpants long enough for me, they would be big enough around for two of me it fit it.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:24 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I just gave up and decided years ago just to wear housecoats or muumuus.

6'5" and long torso, and all the haberdashers hate me.

Old 04-02-2015, 10:36 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,918,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I just gave up and decided years ago just to wear housecoats or muumuus.

6'5" and long torso, and all the haberdashers hate me.
I'm 6"6"...I just wear bib overalls...well most of the time anyway

I can still find most anything I want at Belk Crabtree...jeans, shirts, khakis
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary