Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2014, 07:26 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,963,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTGal View Post
do you have a link for this?
How about this one:

//www.city-data.com/forum/33849288-post12.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2014, 09:18 AM

804 posts, read 2,006,851 times
Today's report: Buds were out on the Bradford Pear tree in our front yard & buds were out on the Japanese Maples & other asundry trees in my parking lot at work. Spring is in the air. Yes, please!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:26 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,205,563 times
Even in the dead of Winter, Raleigh is never fully "brown" because there are many evergreen trees and some grasses that stay green throughout the Winter.
Relatively speaking though, it's more brown than it should be this time of year. I'm guessing that the annual pollen drop will be delayed to later in April when it's usually early in April.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:37 PM

698 posts, read 961,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Even in the dead of Winter, Raleigh is never fully "brown" because there are many evergreen trees and some grasses that stay green throughout the Winter.
Good to know!

Old 03-13-2014, 01:09 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,316,273 times
I recall covering this in another thread, but my estimate is that evergreen trees account for about only 15-20% of the vegetation in NC. The rest are deciduous and the landscape assumes a wet and dreary appearance in winter. Although the pines are evergreen they don't seem to contribute much to the greenery during winter.

Most of the lawns and the natural grasses are brown. Many people include azaleas and camellias (some cultivars like yuletide bloom in winter) in their landscape to add greenery but this doesn't entirely offset the drabness of winter.

The OP is from DC and I would say there isn't a significant difference in the appearance of the winter landscape in NC as compared to DC.

Old 03-13-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
The OP is from DC and I would say there isn't a significant difference in the appearance of the winter landscape in NC as compared to DC.
Doesn't sound much different than VT, except the drab period is shorter in the south.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:29 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,369,428 times
Most of the lawns are green!! The lawns around here are primarily fescue which stays green in winter.

Take a look at the WRAL gardens webcam I posted up thread. Nice green lawn.

The deciduous bushes and trees haven't leafed out yet, but the grass is always green around here . Lots and lots of daffodils, crocus, etc. I've seen some forsythia starting to bloom. It's a little early for tulips, but it's definitely starting to look up.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Most of the lawns are green!! The lawns around here are primarily fescue which stays green in winter.

The deciduous bushes and trees haven't leafed out yet, but the grass is always green around here . Lots and lots of daffodils, crocus, etc. I've seen some forsythia starting to bloom. It's a little early for tulips, but it's definitely starting to look up.
what area is this? and what's fescue?

funny there's trees here in FL that haven't leafed out yet, don't think they are native
and I just noticed in the last week or two that the grass is much greener than it was, subtle but definitely more green

Old 03-13-2014, 10:10 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,369,428 times
Fescue is a variety of grass. It's the predominate grass variety in the Triangle region and the one you're most likely to see unless someone puts in Zoysia or another warm season grass. Where I grew up just 60/70 miles south of the Triangle the most common grass was centipede which is a warm season grass and goes brown in the winter. I rarely see it here. It's a nice grass in the summer, but depressing in the winter.

The picture I embedded is from WRAL's Azalea Garden right in the middle of Raleigh. Looks like a nice fescue turf there.

Old 03-14-2014, 12:19 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,312,327 times
I'm from a rural part of NJ. I find the Triangle and NC in general to be much more green and colorful in the winter. The presence of evergreens even if only in the backdrop provide a nice splash of color, particularly the tall pine trees that contrast against the carolina blue skies in a clear winter's day. You can also find a lot of holly species (Japanese holly etc) and magnolias in the landscape adding green.

I'm not sure where these people live who say the lawns are brown. In my suburban area of north Raleigh 90% of the lawns are fescue and stay green during winter.

My wife often comments how one of the things she enjoys about the area is the presence of green landscape in the winter (she is from Virginia).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary