Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2014, 06:26 AM

25 posts, read 47,750 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone. My husband just had a great interview and will be flying out for his final later this week. We were hoping to find something and relocate to the Raleigh/Durham area from Wisconsin. This position will be in Rocky Mount which seems to be a bit east of there. I was looking at homes in the surrounding areas but the school listings for a lot of the places are not promising. Can anyone tell me a good way to research the school areas? I have two children (7 & 9) who will be going into 3rd/4th grade. I was kind of hoping to look in the Clayton area but that seems like a far drive to Rocky Mount. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2014, 07:14 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,714 times
GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

I'd be surprised if Rocky Mount government schools are very highly rated. It's not exactly the most vibrant, desirable areas.

Also, I believe Zillow shows the closest schools to a particular home, not necessarily the ones you would be assigned to.

edit: I did a quick glance; nothing above a "6" in Nash County; most are in the 3-5 range, with several 1s and 2s. While the rating doesn't ever tell the whole story, I'd be leery of the public schools there. We have a second home in Franklin County (adjacent to Nash), and the schools are a bit better. Wake County will generally have better schools, but I've heard anecdotal negative comments of the East Wake County schools.

Last edited by emelvee; 03-23-2014 at 07:34 AM..

Old 03-23-2014, 07:20 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Clayton is ridiculously far from Rocky Mount! Maybe look at Zebulon? Honestly, save the money from the commute and look at private schools. The price of gas is not going down and your husband doesn't want to spend your kids' childhoods in the car.

Get familiar with Google Maps It is a re-locators best friend.

Goodschools.com can be helpful also, but you have to take the comments with a grain of salt.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:26 AM

510 posts, read 901,279 times
don't expect the schools here to impress you. You may be disappointed. I know two families from Wisconsin who moved here and said it was a step down in education.

and I would also look at Zebulon if I were commuting to Rocky mount.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:36 AM

25 posts, read 47,750 times
Thank you. I currently commute 50 miles one way for my job (and have for 2.5 years). A better quality of life is one of the main reasons we are looking to relocate so we certainly do not want to spend our life in the car. I will definitely look into the private school option as it looks like housing is a bit lower outside of the Raleigh area. We will probably rent for a year or two until we find the community that best suits us. I just didn't want to uproot my kids more than once.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:42 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,577,091 times
As a father/husband, what I'd want to do is focus on the Wake Forest area (Heritage, for example) and bite the bullet and accept a longer commute. The schools in the Rocky Mount area would fall short of our expectations regardless of where you're coming from (because we want the best for our children).

Now, I had mega-commutes for the first twenty or so years of my career before moving to Raleigh and so it's easy enough for me to signup for such a deal; and I know it's not for everyone. But consider that many people who live in Wake Forest have forty-five minute commutes to RTP and so Rocky Mount wouldn't really be so bad.

Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,249,243 times
I've had clients that work in Rocky Mount move to Zebulon or Wake Forest to avoid living in Rocky Mount.

Knightdale would be a good option, as well, but you'll have to check out the schools.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary