Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2010, 11:45 AM

23 posts, read 89,077 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody, I am a mid 20s college student looking to relocate. I currently live in Asheville and desiring something more from a city, mainly better tech or engineering-related jobs, something bigger, and a lower cost of living. I can't stand working in the tourism industry here and this place is really just too small for me (as in claustrophobic lol). I am not from Asheville but I have lived here for about 2 years now. I am finishing up community college in early 2011 and then hoping to get a Bachelors in some form of engineering. I'm looking for a place to live where I can actually find a niche for myself in regards to being a city that is more livable on a long-term basis.

So my questions follow, anything you might be able to answer would be extremely helpful:

-I realize the job market sucks just about anywhere, but what are the job industries like in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill?

-I try to live as frugally as possible. How is the cost of living there?

-I don't really care where my residence is so long as it's cheap and somewhat near to Wake Community College and/or NC State. I'm not buying a house at this time anyway. What could I expect for rent prices for a 1-2br apartment or house?

-How is the traffic there and the roads/interstates, as in condition and sufficient lanes, etc.? In Asheville the roads are terrible in just about every way.

-I don't want to live in the worst parts of town but I'm open to just about anywhere else. Any places to avoid?

-What are the people like there? Friendly? Busy/on the go? Laid back? Diversity of population?

-And lastly, is it an *interesting* place to live in terms of things to do?

I am planning to take a trip this weekend to the area. I've never been there before but it looks okay to me from an internet-research standpoint so far. I was hoping maybe I could gain a little insight before I go, thanks for any help you can provide!

Last edited by halcyon419; 04-29-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 03:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Check out apartments in the cameron village area. Lots of young people around and puts you in close proximity to NC state and nightlife in downtown Raleigh.

When you come to visits hit downtown Raleigh on Fri or Saturday night along Glenwood Avenue, Fayetteville Street, and Moore Square. Stop in for a beer at The Raleigh Times, Boylan Bridge Brewpub, or the Busy Bee Cafe.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:04 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,030 times
As you are looking for somewhere where the roads are less congested that Aville, and cheaper and to go to school. Don't overlook Greensboro, home to UNC-G. I suspect it might be cheaper than Ral and certainly less congested.

And, if you plan to go to Wake Tech and do the college transfer, be aware, not all the classes in that program transfer! You'd think they would but they don't!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:55 AM

23 posts, read 89,077 times
haha, I can't remember the last time I went to a bar or even had a drink. I'm not a typical college student I guess.

I'm already done with about half an A.S./A.A. (to this point which one I pick is still kinda up in the air). I'm not doing the transfer program as it's only 15 less credit hours than an Associate's Degree, and I'd rather have something more universally accepted.

I have not even thought about Greensboro, that's a good idea, thanks, I'm gonna look into that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary