Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 07:24 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times

Advertisements

Wow - that's something that you saw one at Straw Valley. OP, that location is right off a highway and as poppydog said is bordered on the other side by a crowded shopping center. Yeesh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 08:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
It was many years ago before Straw Valley was a restaurant/coffee shop. The little guy was just slithering along the sidewalk there. He wasn't even in the bushes or anything.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:25 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,171 times
I see several snakes a summer around here. We have one that leaves skin in my lilly's each year too, and the skin is over 3 feet long. I have only seen the actual snake that sheds the skin once (my lilly's are a bit wild now though as I no longer tend to them haha). I am in East Raleigh but close to the Neuse. My mom is off Buffaloe and she sees copperheads with some regularity.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:39 PM

222 posts, read 404,015 times
I am nervous as hell about my dogs getting bitten as we're looking at buying a home with woods and a creek behind it.

My dogs are a healthy 65 and 90 lbs respectively (one is slightly overweight and was recently put on a diet).

How concerned should I be?

What should I do if they are bitten?

Is it possible to keep an easily administered anti-venom on hand at home?

I know it seems excessive, but we care for them like children (minus the spoiling and endless doting).

Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
I am nervous as hell about my dogs getting bitten as we're looking at buying a home with woods and a creek behind it.

My dogs are a healthy 65 and 90 lbs respectively (one is slightly overweight and was recently put on a diet).

How concerned should I be?

What should I do if they are bitten?

Is it possible to keep an easily administered anti-venom on hand at home?

I know it seems excessive, but we care for them like children (minus the spoiling and endless doting).
It's not snakes on a plane around here people....really!!

You do not need to keep anti-venom on hand (even if that were possible, and I am not sure it is). If the rare chance they are bitten...we do have 24 hour emergency vets around.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:43 PM

222 posts, read 404,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
It's not snakes on a plane around here people....really!!

You do not need to keep anti-venom on hand (even if that were possible, and I am not sure it is). If the rare chance they are bitten...we do have 24 hour emergency vets around.
Oh no, I'm more concerned about their ability to survive the unlikely bite.

My pups are remarkably curious as opposed to fearful, and I can absolutely see them agitating a copperhead (or any snake for that matter) for fun because they would be entertained by the motion, etc. Just wondering if they would have trouble surviving it.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:45 PM

600 posts, read 1,221,171 times
While I have heard of plenty of snakes around here, I cannot recall a single story of a pet getting bit by one.

Old 04-28-2014, 09:53 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellsd View Post
While I have heard of plenty of snakes around here, I cannot recall a single story of a pet getting bit by one.
I've heard of one...but they were really in the country of Granville county when they took their horses and dogs out trail riding.

They didn't even know the dog was bit for at least a day when they saw his paw swell up and him limp. They took him to the vet, he survived (I don't remember the treatment, as this was at least in 2006).

Snakes are more likely to leave an area if being harassed.....so that lessens the chance....and I read in several places that less than 3% of dogs that are actually bit die of it when completely untreated...more die form an allergic reaction to the anti-venom!!

Really....yes, there are snakes here.....just like in every other area of the the US. If you can live with snakes in the other 49 United States...you can live in North Carolina.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxdonkey View Post
Oh no, I'm more concerned about their ability to survive the unlikely bite.

My pups are remarkably curious as opposed to fearful, and I can absolutely see them agitating a copperhead (or any snake for that matter) for fun because they would be entertained by the motion, etc. Just wondering if they would have trouble surviving it.
They would need to go to the vet but they'd likely survive it and just be given a lot of benadryl. The pets are able to metabolize the copperhead venom pretty well - I really wouldn't worry about it unless you live in a neighborhood like mine that has so many we are always on the lookout for them in summer. My neighbor's cat was bitten in the face and was fine. I don't think there's any anti-venom for it (to keep at home) but keep benadryl on hand.

My dog would definitely agitate one if she saw it!

We may not be "snakes on a plane," as another poster put it, but we have plenty of them:

http://www.newsobserver.com/2010/07/...opperhead.html
I wouldn't worry about the non-venomous ones.

Last edited by NM posts; 04-29-2014 at 04:17 AM..

Old 04-29-2014, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
I've heard of one...but they were really in the country of Granville county when they took their horses and dogs out trail riding.

They didn't even know the dog was bit for at least a day when they saw his paw swell up and him limp. They took him to the vet, he survived (I don't remember the treatment, as this was at least in 2006).

Snakes are more likely to leave an area if being harassed.....so that lessens the chance....and I read in several places that less than 3% of dogs that are actually bit die of it when completely untreated...more die form an allergic reaction to the anti-venom!!

Really....yes, there are snakes here.....just like in every other area of the the US. If you can live with snakes in the other 49 United States...you can live in North Carolina.
You are giving completely incorrect, non-scientific information.

Copperheads are not more likely to leave if harassed, and plenty of pets are bitten by them. Ask any local vet.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/gaston/Pests...copperhead.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary