Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 16,062 times

Advertisements

I plan on visiting the area and wanted to know the difference between the 2. Is one more metropolitan or urban? Considering someone who is 50 and single, what would be the better choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,312,500 times
Don't forget to stop by Papa Mojo's! It's one of my favorite Duram spots.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:47 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,957 times
Raleigh has a good job, drives a new Camry, is polite to everyone and lives in the suburbs. Durham is a nice guy who works in a coffee shop, smokes a little weed, needs a haircut and drives Raleigh's old '98 Civic. It burns a little oil, but that's OK, because he takes his scooter or bike almost everywhere anyway. Durham shares a loft with Fort Worth, TX.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:04 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,925,479 times
Raleigh is the Capital city of North Carolina. Durham is the basketball capital of the U.S.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:43 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,598,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Durham shares a loft with Fort Worth, TX.
I lived in Fort Worth for over 10 years. I would never compare Fort Worth to Durham. Not even close.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:48 PM

288 posts, read 360,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
Raleigh is the Capital city of North Carolina. Durham is the basketball capital of the U.S.
I don't think you can even say that Durham is the basketball capital of the Triangle. It's basic math: 5 > 4

Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,279,805 times
If you plan to live in the suburbs there is almost no difference between Raleigh and Durham. The downtowns are different, but nice in their individual ways. Hard for me to explain. Being 50 and single would not make one better than the other. It will be more about your lifestyle, the types of businesses you want access to and where you work. I could easily be just as happy in Durham as Raleigh, but my job is in Raleigh so that is where I live.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 PM

449 posts, read 699,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
Raleigh has a good job, drives a new Camry, is polite to everyone and lives in the suburbs. Durham is a nice guy who works in a coffee shop, smokes a little weed, needs a haircut and drives Raleigh's old '98 Civic. It burns a little oil, but that's OK, because he takes his scooter or bike almost everywhere anyway. Durham shares a loft with Fort Worth, TX.
Sounds like you're comparing suburban Raleigh with downtown Durham. Apples and oranges...

Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 PM

277 posts, read 436,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
I don't think you can even say that Durham is the basketball capital of the Triangle. It's basic math: 5 > 4
Give me the 4 where the players were actually students. This isn't the nba.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by javajoe128 View Post
I plan on visiting the area and wanted to know the difference between the 2. Is one more metropolitan or urban? Considering someone who is 50 and single, what would be the better choice?
We need to know a lot more about you to know what is a "better choice" for you. Not all single 50-year-olds are alike, of course.

The two cities are close enough together that you should visit both on your scouting trip if you're considering moving. Or, you might not want either, and prefer somewhere like Chapel Hill. Much of it depends on where you job will be?

Raleigh is the Capital city and has lots of state government downtown, and most of its footprint is suburban. Durham is smaller but more "gritty" overall, though its newer suburbs (SW Durham mostly) in the past decade have grown as fast as Raleigh's and look the same. I suspect there are many in Durham who consider Raleigh hopelessly "white bread", while many in Raleigh still think Durham is the South Bronx just because it had a crime problem 20 years ago, long since neutralized. You need to see both and make your own choices.

It depends on what kinds of things you're interested in, which you would find more appealing--strangers on the Internet really can't answer that for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary