Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 07:04 AM

118 posts, read 178,288 times

Advertisements

Do people from the triangle head up to the mountains at Christmas time? I was thinking of gathering the whole family there and wondered if that was a reasonable idea......and then, as I am new to the area, I have no idea where to go! We recently went to Black Mountain and the Biltmore which was lovely. I would love to rent a log cabin/home and spend a week there celebrating Christmas and the New Year - anyone have any suggestions/ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 07:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,940,073 times
We have thought about maybe doing it, but haven't yet done so over Christmas.

Obviously the Biltmore at Christmas is special - if you haven't done their candlelight holiday tour it's worth doing.

A bit southwest of Asheville is the Balsam Mountain Inn - I think it would be a wonderful place to spend the holidays. (And they have various holiday events - hanging the greens, caroling ...)

The area north of Boone is also very nice, although perhaps a bit more remote.

Old 05-21-2014, 07:58 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Sure you could do that. Boone/Blowing Rock is about an hour closer than Asheville. We have a family home in Boone (MIL's) and go up there quite a bit. We haven't done Christmas/New Year's because she winterizes it after fall and shuts it down for the winter. Costs a lot to pay for heat if you're not using it.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:31 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
When I was younger, our family did some mountain Thanksgivings like the OP suggested (we were in VA, near one of the ski resorts).

Not sure if it would make a difference to OP, but you'd be less likely to have issues with winter weather for Tday than Xmas. Neither is a huge threat, nor are they a zero threat.

In either case, there are lots of rentals that should be available. The ski resorts offer houses that can accomodate a lot more people, which is good for a holiday gathering. (and ski resorts would be empty at Tday, not at xmas, I assume....)

IMO, any time in the mountains is good time. Go for it, I say....

Old 05-22-2014, 05:42 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
I would love to see the Biltmore at Christmas however we went to Asheville over spring break and I'm still not recovered from the drive up and down the mountain.

As poppydog mentioned Boone is closer. I would like to see that as well.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:53 AM

162 posts, read 291,973 times
We've gone to Boone for the weekend -- it's beautiful and is a closer (and easier) drive than Asheville -- which is a great place to visit but as twingles said it just seems like a harder drive. If we head there we like to stay for at least 2 nights if not more.

And, like others have said, totally different weather systems so you can expect some good winter weather over Christmas!!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
I would love to see the Biltmore at Christmas however we went to Asheville over spring break and I'm still not recovered from the drive up and down the mountain.

Biltmore is gorgeous at Christmas. They start the candlelight tours weeks in advance and it's easier to get in on one of those if you don't go right at Christmas. We've been in late November and early December and it wasn't terribly crowded if you do the last tour of the evening.

Kids seemed to really enjoy it, too.

Old 05-22-2014, 08:12 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Even though Boone is about 1,200 feet higher in elevation than Asheville, I find drive up and back on US 421 much less harrowing than the stretch of I-40 between Old Fort and Black Mountain.

I love the area around Boone and Blowing Rock. It's an easy getaway to cool off during the summer and to experience some winter weather (if that's your thing) during the cold months.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:45 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,303,040 times
I'm shocked that people mention the drive up I-40 to Asheville. I make that drive all the time, loaded down with bikes and camping gear. It's a 4-6 lane Interstate Highway the entire way. The most harrowing part of it is if I forget to take the cruise control off, and the car is shifting between gears. (Seriously, it's a 55 mph road, and only that because of the speed differential of the trucks.)

All I can says is that if you don't like that, don't ever attempt Hwy 276 going from Brevard to the BRP. (One of my all-time favorite roads to drive, BTW.)

Either one is an easy drive. RDU to Asheville = zero turns. Set it and forget it.

(Not to ignore those who don't like windy roads, but I'd hate for the OP to miss out on Biltmore at Christmas without hearing an alternative POV. Just keep in mind, it is an Interstate with a 55+ speed limit the entire way up the mountain. Not THAT bad...)

Old 05-22-2014, 11:56 AM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,731 times
going into asheville is a lot less harrowing them coming back to raleigh -- it is the coming back that makes you feel like your car could be flung off the side! :-) I feel like I ride my brakes the whole time - which cannot be good for them! On 421 coming from Boone, there is only one stretch like it that is crazy steep - and you aren't clinging to a side of a mtn to come down it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary