Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 08:12 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrab View Post
Sometimes, people give to the panhandlers who entertain them a bit, be it an accordian player, break dancer or classical violinist.
That isn't a panhandler, that's a busker. There is a difference.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:28 AM

68 posts, read 120,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigKahunaNC View Post
That's how I feel about the ones on Franklin St. in chapel Hill. They are aggressive, to the point that I feel it should be considered robbery or at the minimum harassment. I do not want them to step in front of me, try to impede my walking, and "demand" that I give them money. That's robbery in my opinion. I've encountered a few aggressive ones in parking lots at big stores too. To me, that's borderline behavior, and shouldn't be tolerated.
They do get right in front of you on Franklin St. in CH. I go down every 5-6 weeks to get my hair cut and I get more and more uncomfortable with having people stop me in my tracks and ask for money. I will tell them I have an appointment to get to and I'm sorry I cannot help them. But it's startling when they stop you while you're walking.

Old 06-04-2014, 10:55 AM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
I've seen panhandlers and performers in all of the big touristy cities, places like Times Square, Key West, Honolulu, etc. You have the ones in costume who pose for pics, the ones who weave palm fronds into hats, etc. But you still get the semi-aggressive panhandler types who try to intimidate you into giving them money. I'm sure it works enough that it encourages them to keep doing it.

The ones in Chapel Hill though, I've never encountered like them, anywhere else. Maybe the town has cracked down on them, and they aren't as bad as they used to be. But it used to make me angry to walk down Franklin St, and have these guys harass me every step of the way until they reached the end of their "turf" and the next guy took over. I've even seem them fight over "turf" before. I've visited a lot of places, but never seen it as bad as I've seen it in Chapel Hill. I have no idea WHY the town let's it continue, if they still do. It's a horrible way to welcome guests, and it's a terrible thing to let your citizens be harassed like that. I rarely go there any longer. I think the last time I walked down Franklin St was last summer...and we literally stayed on the next block over till we got to our destination, a restaurant. I did not venture down the heart of Franklin St, and haven't in a few years now.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:24 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I have no idea what you are talking about BigKahuna. I have never seen that and have lived in Chapelboro for 30 years and am downtown quite frequently. I don't doubt your experience, but I don't think it was a common one.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:35 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,942,559 times
Begging on Franklin Street has been a longstanding problem in Chapel Hill, and something the town council discusses from time to time. It's driven largely by two factors: The proximity of the men's homeless shelter/IFC kitchen at Columbia & Rosemary, and (2) the fare free bus system in Chapel Hill.

The shelter is relocating to an area near MLK and Homestead, which might help alleviate some of the problem.

Old 06-04-2014, 11:45 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,707,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
That isn't a panhandler, that's a busker. There is a difference.
Huge difference. I always give to buskers. I've only been asked for money directly from someone once. It was at a gas station. I told them I wouldn't give them cash, but I would put gas in their car. I put in 10$...the woman said thank-you and was very polite.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:48 PM

2,464 posts, read 4,167,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about BigKahuna. I have never seen that and have lived in Chapelboro for 30 years and am downtown quite frequently. I don't doubt your experience, but I don't think it was a common one.

It must have just been my lucky day, each of the days that I went there and saw the stiff-armed robberies going on in broad daylight. Worst exhibit of aggressive panhandling I've ever witnessed in my entire life and travels, happened on Franklin St. I saw it numerous times.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:59 PM

750 posts, read 854,125 times
How were they aggressive Big Kahuna? I find it strange they seem target one person over another eg why beg from Big Kahuna and not poppy dog?

Old 06-04-2014, 05:30 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,979,858 times
If "cashless living" becomes too common, panhandlers will have to start asking you to PayPal them some funds from your phone...

The last time I gave money (more than loose change) was several months ago. It was a lady at a bank parking lot, who said the ATM was out of order, and was worried about having sufficient gas to get to another bank branch. I gave her 3 bucks or so. I figure everyone does something absent minded once in a while.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:38 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelkitten View Post
How were they aggressive Big Kahuna? I find it strange they seem target one person over another eg why beg from Big Kahuna and not poppy dog?
I dunno Angelkitten. I do almost always see panhandlers on Franklin St, but mostly they're just sitting on a bench with a cup or box for change or standing in a doorway with a sign that asks for money. Occasionally they might ask me if I can spare any change, but that's about it. I haven't had any of those folks be what I would term aggressive with me — certainly no more aggressive than the college students asking me to give money to Greenpeace or whoever. There's also a high school kid who does pretty good magic tricks frequently and the occasional buskers. The son of one of my neighbors sometimes plays the bucket drum up there for tips.

I did have a guy approach me at Carr Mill in Carrboro the other day and say he was trying to get a prescription filled for a bee sting on his cheek. His cheek was puffed out and there is a drug store right there, so although I doubted the veracity of his story I gave him a little money anyway. I felt like there was a possibility that it could be true and I appreciate a good story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary