Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 04:20 PM

47 posts, read 153,670 times

Advertisements

Hi! Just curious what neighborhoods you Chapel Hillians would recommend as good family neighborhoods.....We have two young children (ages 3 and 7) and would like a nice community feel without a subdivision if possible....Something maybe a bit older within walking distance to the University or Franklin street? Any ideas where to look? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 07:49 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelgreen View Post
Hi! Just curious what neighborhoods you Chapel Hillians would recommend as good family neighborhoods.....We have two young children (ages 3 and 7) and would like a nice community feel without a subdivision if possible....Something maybe a bit older within walking distance to the University or Franklin street? Any ideas where to look? Thanks!
I suggest you find a good Realtor. One you feel comfortable with. They will be familiar with the area and have a wealth of information and suggestions for you. They will be able to give you everything in the MLS as well as provide statistics for you. Good luck.

Old 12-14-2007, 09:20 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,970,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jln69 View Post
I suggest you find a good Realtor. One you feel comfortable with. They will be familiar with the area and have a wealth of information and suggestions for you. They will be able to give you everything in the MLS as well as provide statistics for you. Good luck.
Especially if you are looking in a competitive area like close to Franklin Street/UNC. That is a desirable area and requires someone with local knowledge. I am not a Realtor so I am not saying that to try and get your business.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:43 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,564,137 times
What is your price point that your looking at?

Old 12-14-2007, 10:50 PM

22 posts, read 57,117 times
Southern Village? Glen Lennox? The Oaks...

Old 12-15-2007, 07:37 AM

23 posts, read 67,919 times
Default Chapel Hill

Hey laurelgreen,

Check out my previous post to another person with children looking to move to Chapel Hill (//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...arolina-3.html). There are several nice neighborhoods that are family oriented. My favorite is Southern Village (http://www.southernvillage.com/), but there are several others, depending on what level of community involvement you want. Also check out the houses on the other side of 15-501 (if you are coming from Durham cross Manning then turn onto the roads on your left. I used to live in this area if you want something with more space & privacy but still close to neighbors. It backs up to the Botanical Gardens so you will have a wonderful forest in your back yard! Remember when you move within walking distance of the university you will likely be surrounded by students. The only exception to this is if you buy a house in one of the Historic areas which can easily get up into the range of $500k or more. But then if you can afford it go for it! Those houses are gorgeous and hold so much Historical value. Some where the residences of former professors and future dignitaries of N.C. But even if you live a short distance away public transportation is free and very nice because the town doesn't want people to drive when they don't have to. In fact students and staff members who live within a 2 mile radius of the university are not offered parking permits unless they have some hardship. Living in chapel hill public transportation is almost a must for trips to the University or Franklin, because parking is hard to find. I've lived next to some wealth professors and doctors in the area and almost all of them take the buses which are often quicker than actually driving.

Good Luck and check out my previous post I think it might help!

-Amsel

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurelgreen View Post

Old 12-15-2007, 07:47 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Southern Village is definitely not within walking distance of the university and Franklin Street, so I would not suggest it. I lived there briefly and found that it had its plusses and minuses. To me, if felt too insulated & disconnected from the rest of Chapel Hill. It also felt a little too planned - as if I were living at Disney World or something. However, it was nice to walk to Weaver Street Market and the handful of restaurants at the center of the development.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:28 AM

23 posts, read 67,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Southern Village is definitely not within walking distance of the university and Franklin Street, so I would not suggest it. I lived there briefly and found that it had its plusses and minuses. To me, if felt too insulated & disconnected from the rest of Chapel Hill. It also felt a little too planned - as if I were living at Disney World or something. However, it was nice to walk to Weaver Street Market and the handful of restaurants at the center of the development.
I suggested Southern Village noting that bus rides to Franklin are easy and most of the area around Franklin is either student filled (ie not family oriented) or very expensive. It has its draw backs but if you are looking for a community oriented around family life and don't want to go the way of buying in a Historic district around franklin I think its a viable option.

Agreed though it does feel a little fake. It reminded me of a new version of the neighborhoods around Pittsburgh where i grew up.

Old 12-15-2007, 09:44 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,386,222 times
There is a development on the north side of Chapel Hill, off MLK Jr Blvd, near Weaver Dairy called Parkside which is very popular with families. When we looked around the neighborhood there were small children everywhere and someone I met who lives there confirmed that it is very family-oriented. It is on a bus route which can take you to Franklin Street and a few other areas. It has easy access to route 40 and several small shopping centers.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:03 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,695,305 times
There are a lot of little areas near Franklin St, but I wouldn't call them quite so family oriented, unless your budget is in the $1 million + range. You might try looking into the Lake Forest area or off of Ephesus Church near the Country Club. There are some nice little family neighborhoods there, and you can catch the bus to Franklin St very easily. I would also suggest finding a good Real Estate agent though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary