Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2014, 10:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,920 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

Here is a new and different "I need a referral" request.

I an planning to install a weather station here at the house. My issue is the anenometer for measuring wind speed and direction needs to be installed at a high point (ie the highest point on the roof if possible) for best results. I have a place picked out at the top of our dormant chimney.

Now my issue... I dont do heights. Not to mention I have a very high 2+ story roof and even higher chimney.

Who would you guys think could and would tackle this relatively small job? I am thinking attach the anenometer and its mount to the top of the chimney with 4 screws and maybe tack the wire here and there down the side of the chimney for me to help conceal it.

Would this be a job for a roofer? maybe a painter? (both used to working on a ladder at those heights). Possibly a regular handyman although the heights and need for specific ladders might rule them out?

Any ideas or referrals?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2014, 11:12 AM

4,168 posts, read 4,879,858 times
Roofers are very busy this time of year, but you might try a chimney sweep as most of them are properly equipped to handle anything involving a chimney.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:13 AM

2,112 posts, read 2,727,168 times
I would try a handyman? I say that because I did roofing for 22 years and as a general rule of thumb that's all we tried to do. We would do odd jobs from time to time but they were charged a lot for it as we had to fit it into a busy schedule. I have a weather station as well and it's also on the top of a two story house with a 12/12 pitch. I did mine myself and it wasn't fun. Make sure they are insured and know how to read a compass. Good luck!

Old 06-12-2014, 11:21 AM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
A regular handyman/odd-and-ends type guy. Just tell him you want something mounted on your chimney. You don't know any neighbors/friends well enough, who aren't afraid of heights?

Old 06-12-2014, 11:25 AM

347 posts, read 522,214 times
Definitely a job for a handyman. Get one who is insured. I wouldn't opt to post a lowest bidder wanted ad on Craigslist for this, as anyone who falls off your roof could easily sue.

Are you planning to broadcast your station to the Wunderground Network?

Old 06-12-2014, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,920 times
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do plan to eventually broadcast the readings to Wunderground. Havent yet bought the data logger for my system as I want to get the basics up and running first.

So if handyman is the way to go anyone here have any favorites? I am searching through old threads now but was just wondering if anyone has experience with an insured, height-loving, ladder-collecting handyman off the top of their heads.

Thanks again!

Old 06-12-2014, 01:44 PM

826 posts, read 1,932,932 times
I love Weather Underground! Thanks in advance for contributing to the local forecast!

There are forums on the site... I'd post there (start from the "Support" link at the bottom to access their forums - there is one for personal weather stations). I'm sure you'll get lots of suggestions and maybe even recs from other local members.

Old 06-12-2014, 02:54 PM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
[quote=bufordt;35204504
Now my issue... I dont do heights. Not to mention I have a very high 2+ story roof and even higher chimney.
[/quote]

Back in the "old days", we had to climb up on the roof and install TV antennas, often attaching them to the "chimbly" to get a good signal.

Old 06-12-2014, 06:11 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,953,566 times
I put my entire station on an expandable mast and then just pushed each section up until it was high enough. The mast is attached to the side of the house. If your station is a Vantage II Pro, be aware it has a serious issue with a supercapacitor that fails early in the unit's life. My bro-in-law fixed mine, but then, he's an ex-IBM engineer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: