Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 08:53 PM

9,780 posts, read 15,797,090 times

Advertisements

I can only speak for Chapel Hill - I honestly don't think anyone will notice. Seriously. If they do notice, they won't care. There are many bi-racial people here along with mixed raced families, and minorities. You will be absolutely fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 09:01 PM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,676 times
This is only the second place I have lived in my whole life, and we've only been here 2 years, but I have to say, the area is very diverse. I came from a large city which was diverse, but the surrounding suburbs were primarily still white-something I found odd.
Here, it seems all of the surrounding suburbs are also diverse. I'm sure there are areas more secluded that have more "old fashioned" thinking, but I have not seen it here.
My oldest daughter just moved in with us. She has lived in central FL for the past 4 years. While we are just white, she is bi-racial and has a Hispanic husband. She loves it here so far-so does her husband. She said even her workplace is very diverse-although one person thought she was Mexican and another thought she was Asian!
I think the Triangle overall is welcoming of all people since there are people from everywhere here.
I love it!

Old 06-18-2014, 09:04 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,775,982 times
You will not have issues in the areas you mentioned at all. Unfortunately I cannot say that for all areas of NC. Chapel hill and Durham are two of the most socially diverse areas in the state, if not the country.

Old 06-18-2014, 09:09 PM

1,509 posts, read 2,429,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
It makes me sad that in this day and time you have to ask this question. Agree with other posters, this area is very diverse in many ways, you have a good shot of not having issues here. We have folks from all over the world and different and mixed races here.
Seriously. It hurts to see this question come up as frequently as it does.

To the OP, as a biracial man in an interracial marriage, my wife and I have never faced any sort of discrimination or ran into any negative experiences either in the workplace or around town. We live in Durham, used to live in Raleigh, and I work in Chapel Hill, so yeah.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:18 PM

122 posts, read 151,574 times
I always appreciate hearing this. My husband and I are both white, and our son is black/white. We always want to make sure he feels accepted. We are Jewish, and he goes to Hebrew school so that's been a question i have also asked before. Coming from Cali...it's so diverse here, and luckily hearing it is there as well

Old 06-18-2014, 11:59 PM

9 posts, read 6,671 times
You will be fine. I live in North Raleigh in a diverse neighborhood by the mall. I've been here for 6 years and haven't had any racially motivated problems out of anyone that I'm aware of. People hardly ever speak which feels awkward, being that I'm from the country...but I can live with that. By the way, I'm a 35 yr old black male...if that helps.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:08 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
I know a lot of biracial kids and parents in mixed race marriages. I know a few biracial adults, too. I don't think it's a big issue anymore, certainly not in the Triangle, and I think not even out in many of the country parts of NC. Overall the mountains have less racial diversity, but the rest of the state is pretty mixed up.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:12 AM

644 posts, read 842,889 times
People are very nice and genial in general, however, my interactions with the "locals" makes me think that they are less aware of other cultures. However, people do seem more open to discuss such things. But, don't be surprised if you have a co-worker that doesn't recognize the country you are from or doesn't know much. Again, people are among the nicest bunch I have met in my life.
Definitely not a racist place. Less race aware maybe?

Old 06-19-2014, 09:07 AM

553 posts, read 1,272,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie.a View Post
RedZin, we are each bi-racial.
I am biracial and my husband is White. We live in Raleigh. Expect for a couple of minor incidents involving ass-hats, we haven't notice much of a difference between here and upstate New York where we lived previously. We were at a concert a year ago when some idiot behind us started using the "N" word and motioning to us. Security was on it before we even had a chance to say anything.

I think you should be just fine. Welcome to the area!

Old 06-19-2014, 09:10 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,735,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky Prof View Post
We were at a concert a year ago when some idiot behind us started using the "N" word and motioning to us.
What, was your back to the stage? Thats about all I hear anymore listening to the radio!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary